Criminal Justice - UK style!

Since 1984, almost 1000 convicted criminals released "on licence" in the UK have done a runner: this includes 19 murderers and scores of rapists - OK, this may be a small % of the total in the system, but why are they ever "released on licence" in the first place - crazy or what?! :shock::roll::twisted:

Anyone serving a Life sentence, whether for murder or any other offence, is only ever released on licence.

The way a sentence of Life works is that the trial judge sets a tariff of the minimum number of years to be served in prison. Only once these years have been served is the prisoner eligible to be considered for parole. The prisoner then begins the process of convincing the parole board that they are safe to be moved to a lower security jail and work towards eventual release.

An absolute prerequisite for release is admission of guilt and convincing the parole board that the prisoner feels remorse for his actions. This is why Life prisoners who maintain their innocence can end up serving hugely long sentences without ever being released.

Once the parole board is convinced by reports from the prison, the probation service, family members, prison chaplaincy, etc. that the prisoner no longer poses a threat to society they can then be released "on licence". The conditions of the licence can vary slightly, but they always give wide powers to probation officers. The probation officer assigned to the newly released Lifer can dictate where they can live, where they can work, who they can associate with, how often they must report to probation or police, and where they can and cannot travel to. They can also have the Lifer recalled to jail to begin the whole process over again if they believe that the Lifer's behaviour gives "cause for concern". Any further arrest by the police will also usually trigger an automatic recall to jail.

This regime continues for as long as the Lifer lives - this is the "life" element in a Life Sentence.

Of course, Lifers do abscond and disappear - but no system which relies on individuals judgement calls can ever be perfect.

You don't haver to look far Baz to see Miscarriages of Justice in the uk, they would end up killing innocent people :!:

Kije,

in the big scheme of things, more lives would be saved if they executed the ones who they know are guilty by means of DNA etc. I'm not really advocating the "i did it" types that sent a few to the gallows in the 50's and 60's.

A common misconception is that there have been many many miscarriages of justice in the last few years..... Not many I can think of. If you look back, the Birmingham 6 etc. are all down to the 70's and 80's

I mean come on, who could possibly defend the bloke who killed those two French students (when he should have been in prison by the way; let out early under the early release scheme of this finished government) Jamie Bulgers killers should be 6ft under now, not living life anonymouslyat our expense.... there is a definate need for some form of ultimate punishment rather than the stupid situation we have now where a man who robbed a train 45 years ago gets to spend more time in prison than two lads who killed little Bulger (they did 8 years....)

It makes me sick

One miscarriage would be enough to make it state sponsered murder, revenge is only one element in sentencing.

If my Brother had been hanged and it turned out to be a miscarriage what come back would my family have. Could I charge the hangman with murder or the judge :?:

One miscarriage would be enough to make it state sponsered murder, revenge is only one element in sentencing.

If my Brother had been hanged and it turned out to be a miscarriage what come back would my family have. Could I charge the hangman with murder or the judge :?:

No,

but if your brother had been murdered and the bloke who did it was out walking the streets in 8 years with no restrictions other than being "under license" (which basically means bugger all anyway) how would you feel then?

Particularly if the bloke who did it had never denied the fact and his DNA etc were found all over the murder scene and your brother.......

I agree Baz thats crap. I am all for toughening up the justice system ie longer sentences. But I am against the death penalty

well lets hope you never become a victim of murder or other serious crime then..... cos you are right; it is crap.... and 21 years after my experience; it's still crap!

11 years was the term served; only for the perpetratorto get out and kill someone else.... Now as the title of the thread says....that is Justice.... UK style!

I believe if you murder someone you should stay in prison until you die.

No tv's, no gym's , no internet access , no nothing. just locked up 24/7.

If they go loopy during the process then they will not remember the last few years...which is a pity.

Justice and revenge are not the same

Really?

maybe not to some sandal wearing doo gooder they aren't but to a lot of people justice and revenge go hand in hand.

Rifles; I agree with you except if we must jail them rather than I would also make sure that if a murderer is convicted and his wife and kids live in a council house; evict them. Stop their benefits, put the murderer in a prison as far as possible from where he lives.... make life bloody impossible for him and his family; exactly as happens to the victims family..... justice and revenge all in one

I tend to agree with Rifles: whilst I don't agree with CP, life should mean life, for taking someone else's life (they won't be let out on licence etc). :twisted: This whole episode exposes the nonesense of our so-called criminal "justice" system, which has more to do with the political expediency of saving on prison places, than the removal of convicted criminals from soceity - in the case of murder - permananently. :twisted:

I agree Baz thats crap. I am all for toughening up the justice system ie longer sentences. But I am against the death penalty

well lets hope you never become a victim of murder or other serious crime then..... cos you are right; it is crap.... and 21 years after my experience; it's still crap!

11 years was the term served; only for the perpetratorto get out and kill someone else.... Now as the title of the thread says....that is Justice.... UK style!

I think if some of the 'sandal wearing do-gooders' were ever to be put in your place Baz, I'm pretty sure the sandals would be in the bin pretty quick, unfortunately we all have to put up with their watered down, misguided, 'human rights' rubbish.

Jon Venables and Robert Thompson were 10 years old when they killed Jamie Bulger. 11 years old when they were convicted.

I'm no sandal wearing liberal, but it wouldn't have been me putting the rope around their necks - I'll leave that job for Baz.

so be it pete, however what you need to realise that those little 10 year old angels that killed Jamie Bulger didn't just kill him and get it over with, they led him away, they tortured him, they poured paint into his eyes and when they finally killed him, they stuck his body on a railway line to be cut in half by a train..... now if you couldn't put a rope around their necks; I'm afraid I could and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Also remember that those little angels that did those horrible things to a little boy, and never showed an ounce of remorse, are now walking the streets as free men (and not under license either) and could be living next door to any one of us in complete, taxpayer funded annonimity.

Justice?...... I think not