Can we afford it?

observer

Defence: this Government are planning to spend ?billions on a Trident nuclear upgrade and buy two top of the range aircraft carriers - can we afford it? :? Why, are we investing in systems that project power overseas or keep us in the "nuclear club", when the purpose of "defence" is to maintain the sanctity of these Islands - after all, you can't exactly drop a nuke on Bradford, to wipe out an Al Queda cell! :wink:

I disagree. With rogue states financing terrorism and also seeking nuclear independence a nuclear deterent is essential.

Air or land launch nukes would suffice against them if need be, Trident is there to deter the major nuclear powers such as Russia & China. I really don't think we can afford a replacement, I would prefer to spend what money we have in ensuring that the basic equipment is of the required quality and quantity.

I believe a nuclear deterent is needed, as over the next few years more and more unstable nations will be all nuked up.

Although i do not think we will ever use it first. If we fire them in retaliation then either way were in s*&t street.

Not sure on the true figure but if its 25 billion then thats a lot of cash that could be useful elsewhere. Saying that, if we dont spend it im sure we can give it in aid to other countries who will then spend it on their own nuclear programs.

Why does our nuclear deterrent cost ?25 Billion and yet somewhere like Iran can have them and they have supposedly got no money.

Maybe a big proportion of the ?25 Billion we spend is directors bonuses and dividends to shareholders perhaps?

Always find the term "deterent" amusing; "deterents" only deter the wise and the rational; a so-called "rogue state" will not be detered from accessing and using the most fiendish weaponry - so then what do you do? :? Oh; they've taken out London and Manchester, well not to worry about the millions of dead, we can get our own back by wiping them off the face of the earth! :roll: We could of course invest in bio-weapons, which would cost less, which destroy people not buildings, and can even allow a successfull pre-emptive strike before the enemy even knows they've been hit! :shock: What we don't need, in the age of terrorism, is sledge hammers to crack nuts; the way to deal with terrorism is to locate them through efficient intelligence networking, and eliminate them using smart weaponry or special forces - again cheaper. :wink: