A social injustice

Lucy

My "sweeping statement" is no more a sweeping statement than those who assume people drinking and wasting their time are NOT idle layabouts.

I think you can usually tell a layabout when you look at them!

But my point was not about students in general. I know there are plenty of wasters among them. I was talking about the bright, energetic students I had met and who convinced me that THEY did not spend their time in the pub. They are the ones who suffer a social injustice because they have to struggle.

What is it about you people that makes you so ready to champion the cause of the layabout? Why are you so down on people with energy, drive, commitment, etc?

Could it be envy?

I agree with Observer about the people standing on plinths. But surely the real culprit is the guy who thought of the idea. Name of Gormley, I think. Should have been Gormless!

What is it about you people that makes you so ready to champion the cause of the layabout? Why are you so down on people with energy, drive, commitment, etc?

Could it be envy?

I have never been so ready to champion the cause of any layabouts i merely pointed out there are two sides to every story.

Envious of their energy, drive, commitment - i don't think so.

"You people" as you call us, rather confirms the image you gave of yourself in the OP.

No-one is defending layabouts, however you are attacking young people with disposable income, some of whom will also be students, some of whom ex-students, and the rest mainly just normal working people as layabouts, becasue they do not fit into your small category of non-drinking 'nice' people.

Let's reprise once again your wholly elitist op:

They are the doctors, scientists and other professionals who will be shaping all our futures. Good luck to them, I say.

Yet at the same time, the town centre is full of young people who seem to have money to spend on clubs, pubs, eating, drinking, shopping and generally wasting their time.

It is pretty clear that anyone who is not going to be a "doctor, scientist, or other professional" falls below the standards you have set for us all.

I think you'll find that all of those professions contain plenty of members who spent time in their youth enjoying themselves (sorry, spending in clubs, pubs, eating, drinking, shopping and generally wasting their time) and like us mere mortals, many probably still do.

Your posts come across as nothing but pure snobbery imo

Let's try another angle because it's pretty obvious you missed the point.

I was talking about the bright, energetic students I had met and who convinced me that THEY did not spend their time in the pub. They are the ones who suffer a social injustice because they have to struggle.

It was clear from your OP, that not going to the pub = bright, energetic and socially discriminated against. In fact I'd imagine, financially, they would be better off than most students, as most students, as indeed most young people, spend a lot of time in pubs and clubs, so your social elite should be doing just fine. They may of course be socially discriminated against for being bloody boring, but that's a different topic entirely.

Now could you explain the correlation between never going to the pub, shopping or eating, makes one pre-determined to being bright, energetic, or indeed not predisposed to being a waster?

It seems rather, that you simply disapprove of anyone who would be so bold as to enter licensed premises? Would that rather more accuratly sum up your prejudice Lady Audrey fforbes-Hamilton?

You've done it again. Shown YOUR prejudice against people who are bright, energetic, etc! You just can't bear to think that someone might be better than you, can you? I am certainly prepared to accept there are people better than me - but perhaps that is because I realise there are those who are not.

Are you ALL at the bottom of the pile? Surely not?

And I certainly did not advocate NEVER going in a pub or club (although I would advocate never going in a club, come to think of it. I think they should all be closed down and if they were Warrington would be a much better place)

If the students I was referring to are better off financially than others who spend their money in pubs and clubs, then they deserve to be!

But in fact, I don't think they would be working all the hours God sends if they were.

And by the way, the students I am talking about are not from the fforbes-hamilton brigade. They are just ordinary kids - with a few brains.

Still think you are all envious! It must be terrible for you!

You've done it again. Shown YOUR prejudice against people who are bright, energetic, etc!
Where?

You just can't bear to think that someone might be better than you, can you?
Better than me? Can you clarify what you mean by that?

I am certainly prepared to accept there are people better than me - but perhaps that is because I realise there are those who are not.

Bottom of the pile? Can you clarify what your definition is please?

If the students I was referring to are better off financially than others who spend their money in pubs and clubs, then they deserve to be!
Deserve by your criteria of course.

On what grounds? Who are we jealous of here? I'm a bit mystified tbh, you came on talking about students being socially excluded, who is it that we are supposed to be jealous of and why?

You've done it again. Shown YOUR prejudice against people who are bright, energetic, etc!
How ?

You just can't bear to think that someone might be better than you, can you?
There are people a whole lot better than me at certain things but on the other hand there are a lot of people who wish they were better than me.

I am certainly prepared to accept there are people better than me - but perhaps that is because I realise there are those who are not.

Scraping the barrel now.

Just like life.

Hmmm in what way ?

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.

Fulton J. Sheen

Can anyone tell me what this is all about? It started off as a good observation, and now has become a "dissect Lucy post."

Not content with quoting paragraphs, it is now sentences. Will it be criticising a single word next? :shock::?:?

We are simply trying to get to the bottom of what the hell she is on about Peter.

It started of as a claim about social injustice, which in actual fact was more like a statement on behalf of the temperance society. There was certainly nothing about social injustice in her OP, although there was and has subsequently been plenty of social prejudice on show, especially as it seems that only the working class on handouts are out and about drinking, and enjoying themselves.

Now we're accused of being jealous for pointing out the flaws in her statement, but it's very unclear what we're supposed to be jealous of, and more importantly, what it has to do with any of the erroneous assumptions made in her OP?

I hope you lot (hope you prefer that to "you people") realise that I am replying to about three or four posters and that some of my comments may not apply to you personally.

In God's eyes, all men (indeed all life) may be created equal. I think Lenin said something similar, but then decided some people were more equal than others! So perhaps "better" is not the right word to use. But I am sure I don't need to explain what I meant.

Going back to my first post, all I did was praise a small number of students of my own personal knowledge who are bright, energetic, full of drive, etc and compare them with the crowds of young people who have virtually turned Warrington town centre at night into a no-go area for decent people. I accept they have done the same in every other similar town as well. Also that some of them might be students or ex-students. But they are not the students I was talking about.

Now I find that a pretty uncontroversial statement.

But you lot immediately spring to the defence of the town centre yobs. How do I know these clubbers and pubbers are yobs, you say. Well, of course, I don't - any more than you do. But I read the reports in the newspapers and on this website of the fights in the streets, the drunkeness, the anti-social behaviour. Even the murders for God's sake!

Now I have no doubt "you lot" are all decent fellows. So what I want to know is WHY you choose to champion these people rather than agreeing with my original post? Why do you make snide remarks about students supported by "mummy and daddy" (isn't that what parents are supposed to do?) about elitism, about "Lady fforbes-Hamilton"? Why do you have such a downer on REAL students who are really studying?

I accept that not all the young people clubbing in the town centre are thugs. But those who are not are displaying a singular lack of judgement or they wouldn't be there.

I note that none of you have disagreed with my comment that the town centre would be a better place if all the clubs were closed but I fear from your other comments that that was simply an oversight.

You may despise the Lady fforbes-Hamiltons of this world, but at least they won't be in the town centre causing mayhem.