Lymm School uniform poll

Gary

Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

What is it that people have against piping on a school blazer?

I had it on mine and always thought it made it look distinctive and rather posh!

Egbert,

Are you trying to improve your post count as you have posted this same comment in 3 topics.

I personally have no objection to the piping on blazers, I agree with you about it giving a distictive look.

However, I would imagine any additional detail such as piping just increases the cost to the parents. My concern is the limited source in buying such blazers. I dont know of other parents experiences having purchased blazers at the high school shop, but I would suggest that the quality of product is not appropriate for the wear and tear endured at school.

Ian

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking exactly the same, Ian!

Except that blazers with crests only come from the school shop as it stands now. Miss Walsh actually said somewhere that the current blazer was of poor quality. Maybe it's worth a bit more money to get something that'll last a bit longer. I know my Grammar blazer cost close to ?50 back in the seventies, but it lasted me five years and was still perfectly wearable then. There used to be a great trade in second hand blazers, allowing parents to save and recover money - but the current ones don't seem to survive long enough.

Have to wait and see, I suppose.

I don't know what my blazer cost when I started grammar school in 1954 but I remember is being on the large side in my first year and then replaced, due to my growth, in the fourth year.

I wasn't an expert on quality but I reckon it was better made than the mass produced Asian crap available at present. I would imagine the badge costs more than the blazer.

I don't know what my blazer cost when I started grammar school in 1954 but I remember is being on the large side in my first year and then replaced, due to my growth, in the fourth year.

I wasn't an expert on quality but I reckon it was better made than the mass produced Asian crap available at present. I would imagine the badge costs more than the blazer.

It's the old dichotomy. Quality is a bigger outlay upfront but better value in the long run. Cheap now frequently means more replacements over time. You can argue it either way - at the end of the day, it depends on your personality and your finances. If you're hard up, then ?25 every two years might be easier on you than ?50 now and nothing ever again. Hopefully, the blazer will be better quality and only a little more expensive.

I know my Grammar blazer cost close to ?50 back in the seventies, but it lasted me five years and was still perfectly wearable then.

Did you not grow at school then :?:

I have to agree you get what you pay for.

I know a number of parents who have taken the the badge of the school purchased blazer when its finished and worn out and transferred it on to better quality blazer purchased elsewhere.

Ian

Blazer was a bit roomy at 11 and a smidge snug at 15, but no, sadly I never got a bosom like Barbie. A lot of my peers were like the Weasleys in Harry Potter, handing down blazers with layers of name tapes from generations of Grammar pupils gone before. Mine was sold on when I swapped to 6th Form grey cardigans, still in almost perfect nick. Probably still being worn somewhere by someone with a love of bottle green. Someone must love bottle green.... I'd have killed for the chance to wear black with red trim, although I'd rather die than wear plaid!!

Except that blazers with crests only come from the school shop as it stands now. Miss Walsh actually said somewhere that the current blazer was of poor quality. Maybe it's worth a bit more money to get something that'll last a bit longer. I know my Grammar blazer cost close to ?50 back in the seventies, but it lasted me five years and was still perfectly wearable then. There used to be a great trade in second hand blazers, allowing parents to save and recover money - but the current ones don't seem to survive long enough.

Have to wait and see, I suppose.

A lot of cpmments from the school seem to infer that current blazers etc are of poor quality. This seems to include those currently available via the school shop :? Would it not have been sensible to source a new school supplier with a better quality of stock ?

Anyway that aside as most schools are the same... (we got our sons blazer from M&S for ?20 as the fit of the ones in his school shop were not very good). The M&S one lasted him 3 years. It's annoying when kids grow although it's far more annoying if you lose one in the first term like his best friend did :shock::lol:

Has there been any indication as to the cost of the Lymm's new blazers, skirts, jumpers etc.

I for one would definately not like to have to pay upwards of ?50 for a blazer :shock:

Hi. I'm pretty sure that the new skirts are going to cost ?18 and the blazers ?28 (which I think is the same as at present). At ?18 the skirts are 3 times the price of M&S but hopefully by the time it's fully phased in there will be one of the large supermarkets will have brought in their (cheaper) version. My daughter informs me (so it could be total rubbish) that stocks will only be available in the school shop 10 days before schol starts in September so going to be a busy few days!

I must admit to being very concerned about negative publicity about the Action Group and other parent postings on forums etc. It seems that we all agree with Lymmparent that the head and governors could have been a bit more careful with the way it was all introduced and particularly communicated to our children. We also seem to agree that 2 months is a bit quick to bring in a new uniform for 2000 pupils. All the Action Group did was speak to Sheila Wyatt and ask her opinion, hold 2 meetings (might have been 3) where about 25 parents (mostly mums) turned up, 2 people met with the Head and an extremely professional letter was sent to all of the Governors the day that they had their final decision meeting. I don't think the Action group did anything that many individual parents didn't do themselves. Yet to read some of the postings on other forums you'd think they were a group of militants in balaclavas and rifles spraying paint in the middle of the night!

I've read postings saying that we must be bad parents if we have complained or made a fuss yet all we are doing is reacting to what our kids are telling us. My daughter feels VERY let down by the school. As an elected member of both School and Hall council she has been lied to when they asdked the Head if there was any truth in the rumours they were hearing. She's got another 8 months then off to a 6th form which isn't Lymm high. She is also seriously worried that changes to teh school day mean that teachers won't be available to help out with course work like they do at present. That's a real worry to her and will impact her GCSE results. Does it make me a bad parent if I try and get that view over to the Governors?

PS - I might have been a member of the action group but I can assure you I am always professional, polite and courteous (unlike many postings I've read)

Back to Gail 123, if you don't mind!

Don't understand this lunch hassle. Half the school on each sitting means half the staff lunching with your child each day. Kids stay on the same shift, teachers swap about according to who they are teaching on any given day. Odds are your child will lunch with every member of staff on at least one day every week. By week two, she'll know who is there on which day - sorted. Rocket science it ain't!

However, someone's going to have to tell me why teachers should have to work their lunch breaks for free? No offence intended, but if any child needs to deprive people of legally required breaks in their working days on a regular basis, then the parents of said child either need to organise some formal extra support with LHS or get a private tutor.

Will there be a Muslim version of this uniform, with burka etc - to re-inforce our ethnic diversity?! :wink:

Adding a smiley to that post didn't make me like it any better. If you want to make remarks like that, could you please put them in a place where the rest of us don't come across them by accident? Preferably a place that flushes.

:shock: And where in the rules is it compulsory to read any of it if you don't want to? Clearly labelled as Uniform, so just scroll past it and immerse yourself in the Appleton phone mast furore or the Croft Carnival scandal.

Miaow!! :lol:

You have certainly got the measure of this Forum. But don't be shy. :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Met two mothers with children at Lymm High over the weekend. Both think it is an excellent school and both full of praise for the new head.

One dismissed the parents who are opposed to a new uniform as people who are not interested in standards, either of education or appearance, who fall into the category of person who should not be allowed to have children!

I thought this a bit over the top myself, but it illustrates the strength of feeling on both sides on this issue.