Lymm School uniform poll

Gary

Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

No, please don't devalue her, she's actually a really nice, intelligent girl who was expressing her opinion in a perfectly appropriate and constructive manner. I meant no criticism of her or the petition itself at all - of all the things that have gone on, the petition is the one example of how to do it properly. I have no quarrel with her views or their publication, and the quote in the second article showed more maturity and grace than a lot of adults have managed! It's just that it wasn't the full picture, only part of it.

However, I am starting to wonder whether offering Gary lunch with Gerrard might get the balance shifted!! :lol:

I am totally satisified with the way I have reported this "ongoing" story.

The parents and pupils I interviewed were directing their comments at the Head Teacher and Governors, not other parents.

From what I have seen my article has encouraged a lot of healthy debate on this situation. I have reported the schools side of the story and parents and pupils have had the opportunity of freedom of speech on a local website and forum.

If you wish to continue to publicly critise me please have the decency of making yourself known to me.

Otherwise I will have to ignore your personal attacks on my integrity as a journalist of 30 years experience and publisher of 10 years experience.

Oh hey, fine, you are perfect. You are a paragon and could not have done more to try and genuinely establish that you were reflecting the big picture. I won't waste another minute asking you to recognise that there was a ruddy great gap in your original reporting or an inflammatory tone to your editorial - be that deliberate or accidental. I'd rather work with you to improve things, but I can go and opine in print elsewhere and leave you to contemplate your own perfection in peace if that's what you prefer.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, please don't devalue her, she's actually a really nice, intelligent girl who was expressing her opinion in a perfectly appropriate and constructive manner. I meant no criticism of her or the petition itself at all - of all the things that have gone on, the petition is the one example of how to do it properly. I have no quarrel with her views or their publication, and the quote in the second article showed more maturity and grace than a lot of adults have managed! It's just that it wasn't the full picture, only part of it.

However, I am starting to wonder whether offering Gary lunch with Gerrard might get the balance shifted!! :lol:

I am totally satisified with the way I have reported this "ongoing" story.

The parents and pupils I interviewed were directing their comments at the Head Teacher and Governors, not other parents.

From what I have seen my article has encouraged a lot of healthy debate on this situation. I have reported the schools side of the story and parents and pupils have had the opportunity of freedom of speech on a local website and forum.

If you wish to continue to publicly critise me please have the decency of making yourself known to me.

Otherwise I will have to ignore your personal attacks on my integrity as a journalist of 30 years experience and publisher of 10 years experience.

Oh hey, fine, you are perfect. You are a paragon and could not have done more to try and genuinely establish that you were reflecting the big picture. I won't waste another minute asking you to recognise that there was a ruddy great gap in your original reporting or an inflammatory tone to your editorial - be that deliberate or accidental. I'd rather work with you to improve things, but I can go and opine in print elsewhere and leave you to contemplate your own perfection in peace if that's what you prefer.

How can there be a ruddy big gap in my reporting as you put it - I was not aware of anyone being in favour of the new uniforms until I reported the facts as were known to me.

Was it my fault the school took more than a week to respond to my enquiries for feedback?

Have you also noticed you are becoming a little bit of a loan voice on this?

When I officially opened the art in the garden exhibition at Leckonby Cottage on Saturday morning as part of Lymm Festival there were more than 100 people from Lymm in attendance. I couldn't find anyone in the pro-new uniform camp!

Many were parents of pupils at the school and they ALL felt the whole situation had been handled poorly by the school.

There was no criticism of the way it had been reported by Lymm Life - in fact everyone thought it was very positive reporting as it had improved lines of communication no end between the school and the local community.

Oh and by the way if you want to work with me I need to know who you are. I will not publish anything from an anonymous source in the magazine.

:wink:

"Everyone" thought it was very positive reporting? You asked everyone? Well then, clearly in pointing out that you didn't ask everyone before your first article, I have helped you to improve on that score. My work is done! :D

In the world of reporting it is impossible to ask everyone - what I am saying is that everyone I spoke to or who made their opinions known to me.

It is a physical impossibility to ask everyone their opinion - hence we provide this interactive platform for everyone who wants to say something to have that opportunity.

Just like all those in the pro new uniform camp have the opportunity to send in their views in time for the next issue - I can't say my mail bag is exactly full with positive comments! :roll:

Hmmmm. Do I need to add anything to that fine example of the difference between misleading accounts and strictly accurate journalism?

Nope, don't think so. Think you're on board now, Gary.

We can go back to being friendly about your cat. Although the Liverpool thing is still gonna be an issue for me..... :twisted:

Hmmmm. Do I need to add anything to that fine example of the difference between misleading accounts and strictly accurate journalism?

Nope, don't think so. Think you're on board now, Gary.

We can go back to being friendly about your cat. Although the Liverpool thing is still gonna be an issue for me..... :twisted:

I have not reported anything misleading.

As long as you accept that you have got me on board!

Regarding the football line up with my long list of admirers for the have a go at Gary section - in fact I think I should start a section just for that! :lol:

You have not published anything that is not true and you have not set out to deliberately mislead - I never suggested you did. What was missing was a qualifier like "everyone who spoke to me thought" as opposed to "everyone thought". The difference between your impression from talking to some of the 100 people and all 100 lining up to shake your hand..... you see? If you'd simply said "a storm of protest from SOME parents and pupils" I'd have been happy that it left room for awareness that some of us differed.

Yeah, though, it's your week for a hammering on the footie blog. They're a vicious lot with no respect for bereavement, aren't they?! Though I have to say, I am liking some of their work.... :twisted:

We are swashers and bucklers, enjoying a bit of hot debate on the basis of mutual respect and playing by the rules - no swearing, no fighting, no personal insults. Sarcasm, irony and quibbling are all in the rules, as is dummy spitting and the requirement to have the last word.

As for the uniform, I am gently in favour of something that better represents the wonderful school we are lucky enough to have and the brilliant young people who go there. Yes that includes my kids, who will wear it in due course. If I'm dead honest, I'd rather the little blighters had picked a plain black skirt, but there you go!

And for the record, I would have much preferred the Governors to have taken more care to avoid confrontation. Having the right to impose changes doesn't mean you can't be nice about it!

Almost neutral, yeah. I'd not have banged on the door and demanded a change, but I do think the fifty shapes and shades of grey are a less than brilliant first impression of a group of kids (including mine) who are brilliant. I would much rather see something that speaks of unity and quality from the get-go.

I am waiting to see what happens about girls wearing trousers, as that took a long time to be accepted at LHS. If that is to be withdrawn, I may potter in for a chat with Miss Walsh, as I don't feel that wearing trousers to match the boys would detract from the new and smarter look.

I am irritated by the confrontational approach taken by both sides. A little more courtesy and a lot less spite would have achieved a better result all round. When kids are in the middle, everyone should aim for solutions that don't cause conflict for them.

Not sure myself that a bespoke uniform is all that is needed in a school to promote a feeling of quality, unity and overall impression . In Lymms case it seems to have had the opposite effect so far but I guess that will change given time.

As for girls wearing trousers I see no problem with that myself and many may chose the trousers as an alternative to the kilts.

At least trousers aren't usually rolled up to just below the pantie line either :wink:

I completely agree with your last paragraph... as will many who have said similar things along the way.

I'm told that girls will still be able to wear trousers but they will be black, like the boys'.

My granddaughter will be ready for High School in 2011. Up to now my daughter has been happy for her to go to Lymm but, after hearing reports of the issues at the school, apart from the uniform, she may well be looking at Altrincham. So sad, Lymm High was a first class school, maybe it can turn around again in the next couple of years.

Lymm is still a first class school. Same kids, same teachers, same community, same school. It's very unfortunate that the way things have been conducted recently in the public eye has damaged the reputation of the school, but nothing has yet been done that impacts on the education our kids are getting. Nothing. My kids go to the same school today as they did a year ago.

Lymm is still a first class school. Same kids, same teachers, same community, same school. It's very unfortunate that the way things have been conducted recently in the public eye has damaged the reputation of the school, but nothing has yet been done that impacts on the education our kids are getting. Nothing. My kids go to the same school today as they did a year ago.

The consensus of opinon of the parents/teachers that I have been able to speak to (not all because of time limitations and the fact it would be a physical impossibility) is that they fear the school will not perform as well in the future as it has done in the past due to a number of changes being implemented by the Head Teacher and Governors.

At the end of the day the proof will be in the pudding and schools are judged on results.

In my opinion many schools are now too focused on league tables and performance figures instead of ensuring all children are taught to the best of their ability.

But that is just my opinion of education in general - not a dig at Lymm High School.

"They fear" is spot on. Mr Lounds retired and that stirred up feelings of loss and uncertainty, fear of change, resentment for the replacement and suspicion of the new. All normal and nobody's fault. Kids are upset, parents are concerned, the situation is sensitive.

Further changes were proposed without enough recognition of the need to respect that sensitivity and some people reacted very strongly. Rumours started and grew, which fed the anger and things became confrontational and nasty.

Then it gets into the press and suddenly "everyone knows" LHS has gone to the dogs. When in fact, the majority of staff are still teaching the same kids from the same lesson plans in the same classrooms.

We all have fears, but fears do not always materialise.

Then it gets into the press and suddenly "everyone knows" LHS has gone to the dogs. When in fact, the majority of staff are still teaching the same kids from the same lesson plans in the same classrooms.

Highlighting the importance of the school entering into dialogue with the local media when alerted to concerns, fears, misinformation e.t.c.

I would also point out that I have been talking to some members of staff who are friends of mine - and have been for many years - but I wouldn't dream of reporting what they have been saying without checking my facts first!

I want Lymm High School to be a successful school and for every pupil to have the chance of achieving their best results possible to give them the best chance in life.

Lymm Life will do whatever it can to help achieve that - but will also report issues and concerns when raised by named individuals, while always giving the school the right of reply.

Can I say any fairer than that and now get you off my back? :roll::wink:

I wasn't having a dig at you when I mentioned the press, or said "everyone knows". I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone else.

All I meant was that opinions aren't facts, but people often confuse the two. If you ran a perfectly honest article tomorrow saying that you and everyone else involved hoped LHS was going to prosper and grow in standing under the new regime, then that would stick in people's heads and instead of kids being sent elsewhere, there'd be a scrum to register them at LHS. Even though nothing had changed.

Me, get on your back? Never..... :twisted:

Gary good on you. good topic you got your teeth into something. well done, as for our exasperating posters, who always give a negative or un-useful comment try watching TV or take up a hobby or better get a life.

LymmParent and others from lymm it not you. your post where good they know who they are..... no lifers