Lymm School uniform poll

Gary

Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dismayed

I would not argue with your approach at all. But if Lymm High is one of the top schools in the area, as is claimed, then there is nothing wrong in its pupils looking different. At present, their rather nondescript uniform has to be studied quite closely to distinguish it from various other schools.

How they wear them is more a matter for parents, of course. Discipline is a joint responsibility of parents and school. In the crazy world of "children's rights" that we live in today, schools are not allowed to impose much discipline. Most parents seem to have forgotten how to impose it.

The result? Scruffy kids.

I think the head at Lymm is trying to do something about this but I fear she is fighting a losing battle - and she certainly isn't being helped by parents tryhing to undermine her!

The school has not consulted with the pupils either through the school pupil council or any other method. The school has not enforced the uniform, indeed it is almost actively encouraging the lapse in standards to enforce the case for new.

If the school can not enforce the current uniform then how is it going to do the same with the new ?

The teachers are up in arms and have had the unions in to the school. Key, well respected teachers are leaving and I wonder how many other teachers have a good word to say about their new head.

The lack of proper consultation with all stakeholders is wrong. This is a dictatorship with one lady stamping her feet demanding her way. She has already told pupils " this is the new uniform I want and you will be wearing it in September"

Things are seriously wrong at this school - What are the governors doing - Why don't they listen to what is going on ??

Do we really have to wait until the next OFSTED report to hear "I told you so"

Lucy,

How can the present uniform be nondescript?

As far as I am aware, it is the only green uniform in the area. The only other uniforms that stand out are Altrincham schools.

It's normally the tie or badges for the majority in town that signify which school they go to.

For someone who criticises the standards of people in Warrington, I am surprised that you think it is ok to have the pupil's dressed like the Bay City Rollers.

What happened to him, I wonder?

Peter

I am not endorsing the suggested new uniforms because I haven't seen them. They are irrelevent in this debate. What I am saying is that if the head and governors want to change the uniform it is up to them and no-one else. And certainly not the pupils.

By the way, who or what is a Bay City Roller and what do they look like?

Lymman

If any teachers are leaving, or bringing in their union, they are clearly Lefties so the school will be better off without them.

I have spoken to several parents who are perfectly satisfied with the consulation process, so it seems to me that the people complaining about a lack of consulation are those who think they are not going to get their own way. The very fact that thiks debate is going on in advance of any decision, shows that consultation is taking place.

What surprises me is that we have Lefty parents in an affluent area like Lymm. No wonder the village is going down, with litter, vandalism and anti-social behaviour on the increase!

What I am saying is that if the head and governors want to change the uniform it is up to them and no-one else.

Wrong. There is a government mandated consulation process which should be followed before these changes can be implemented. It has not even been nodded towards as yet.

There are also STATUTORY obligations placed on the Board of Governors regarding monopoly situations in the supply of school uniforms. These legal requirements appear to have been completely ignored.

If any teachers are leaving, or bringing in their union, they are clearly Lefties so the school will be better off without them.

Very constructive comment :roll:

I have spoken to several parents who are perfectly satisfied with the consulation process, so it seems to me that the people complaining about a lack of consulation are those who think they are not going to get their own way.

The poll seems to show otherwise, it currently shows approximately a 60/40 split in favour those who oppose a new uniform - any new uniform.

The very fact that thiks debate is going on in advance of any decision, shows that consultation is taking place.

On the contrary, the fact that this debate is going on here - external to the school - is a direct result of the heads attempts to stiffle debate within the school

What surprises me is that we have Lefty parents in an affluent area like Lymm.

Yeah, they're everywhere these days. Best lock up your daughters and check for reds under the beds! :lol::lol::lol:

I do not believe all this would have happened had consultation started at the beginning of the year and was a clear and transparent process. Normally passive parents are angered and frustrated about the speed of applying this change, the fact it is across all year groups 7 up to 11, no clear consultation with all stakeholders (feeder schools received a letter about a week ago), and disregard for aspects such as recycling (2000 uniforms??) and the recession.

Just looked on www.teachernet.gov.uk/casestudies

(Type in 'uniform' as the keyword in the search)

No. 8 is 'Implementing a successful uniform policy' which makes some sound suggestions and directly underneath it No. 9 - 'Creating an effective school council' .......the school council case study sings the praises of Lymm High. :wink:

I believe outcome of the uniform issue is already known. I really do hope that the head and the governors, in light of all this negative publicity, take the opportunity to show they have listened to parents and as a minimum implement a phased introduction and reinstate the value of the school councils.

It really does concern me that authority figures do not appear to adhere to guidelines specifically designed to help manage issues (e.g uniform, school day) that by their nature will create much debate - for and against - and what is the big rush.

Which one's the troll :shock::lol:

If parents and staff are so worried about what's happening to Lymm High they could always start hounding their local councillors ... After all if parents start to take their kids away or others don't join because of the disharmony along with good teachers leaving then the schools reputation and service it offers will be spoilt. That wouldn't be good for Lymm :cry:

Maybe they should contact their local Borough Councillor who lives in Lymm, and who is also on Lymm's Parish Council, and is an Eecutive of Children's Services, including being a member of the Childrens Cervices Overview & Scrutiny Committee..... and has been on the Board of Governors at Lymm High for over 20 years :wink:

Dis, the troll would be someone with opposite views to Kate. :wink:

Oh, d'you think so? I didn't think I was as contentious as all that but there you go. :lol:

I'm just refering to certain posts that seem to be totally opposed to the views of most concerned parents/interested parties. I've noticed the same in other topics in the past, seemingly designed to "wind up" the majority.

Oh well, perhaps it's just me. Maybe I'm just a Leftie. :wink:

Kate..... There will always be people wanting to wind up the majority .... just as others like to wind up the minority :wink:

"Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty"... a way to remember which way to tighten or loosen something with a thread... completely irrelevant but the earlier comment reminded me about the saying. :D:lol:

Maybe they should contact their local Borough Councillor who lives in Lymm, and who is also on Lymm's Parish Council, and is an Eecutive of Children's Services, including being a member of the Childrens Cervices Overview & Scrutiny Committee..... and has been on the Board of Governors at Lymm High for over 20 years :wink:

Hmmm this has all been done - bit of a hot potato us disgruntled parents.... it's really not, well it's just not the way things are done in Lymm is it?

No point Sheila Woodyatt is firmly in favour and is taking no notice of all those parents & kids where don't want a new uniform. When Miss Walsh has changed the school hours, abolished the halls and renamed the school perhaps then she will give up.

Perhaps the electorate will remember Sheila Woodyatt stand on this issue at the next election.

I had no response from my local Lib Dem councillor... they can whistle for my vote in the next council elections.

I have raised it with Helen Southworth and had a response to the effect that she has written to head on my behalf and if I wish she will take further action if I do not get a satisfactory reply.

Could be getting myself on the phone to Ms Southworth... according to one pupil today uniform is decided and being phased in

This raises more questions regarding procurement, best value, competitive sourcing... Office of Fair Trading about to get some phone calls maybe? Other issues uniform enforcement - must be fair and not terrify students, are there staff training issues as enforcement was so poor before? Still potential discrimination of girls because skirts are bespoke and not off the peg like the trousers. Also consequences of kilt on self esteem of girls... what additional has been put in place pastorally to support them? Consequences of the whole situation and lack of value and respect given to the pupils impacting on their well being and feelings of self worth because quite frankly I am 100% appalled by the way they have been treated and is all the more worrying given that these are professionals who are supposed to be ensuring our children meet the 5 outcomes of Every Child Matters... clearly they only matter in certain circumstances!

If this is true, there are a number of people who have been involved in managing the situation and decision-making who should be ashamed of the way they have conducted themselves and need to do a LOT of reflection on this situation and do some big time learning from it.

according to one pupil today uniform is decided and being phased in

This raises more questions regarding procurement, best value, competitive sourcing... Office of Fair Trading about to get some phone calls maybe? Other issues uniform enforcement - must be fair and not terrify students, are there staff training issues as enforcement was so poor before? Still potential discrimination of girls because skirts are bespoke and not off the peg like the trousers. Also consequences of kilt on self esteem of girls... what additional has been put in place pastorally to support them? Consequences of the whole situation and lack of value and respect given to the pupils impacting on their well being and feelings of self worth because quite frankly I am 100% appalled by the way they have been treated and is all the more worrying given that these are professionals who are supposed to be ensuring our children meet the 5 outcomes of Every Child Matters... clearly they only matter in certain circumstances!

If this is true, there are a number of people who have been involved in managing the situation and decision-making who should be ashamed of the way they have conducted themselves and need to do a LOT of reflection on this situation and do some big time learning from it.

A decision has been reached and the full facts will be reported as our lead story at 7am tomorrow.

So lets see, the red uniform , with black and white kilt or black trousers. Compulsory for year 7, phased in for all the following year.

Complete disregard for the views of parents and pupils. The head and governors should hang their heads in shame !

If it is decided that it's only being phased in as compulsory for new year 7's only then surely that's not too bad. At least that way the other kids can utilise and wear out their existing uniforms thus cutting back on any additional and un-needed expense for those parents :wink:

Still think the piped blazer looks tacky though :shock:

PS Eagle, have you been looking at the websites for school uniforms too :lol:

Quite a few of the 'ODD' web sites all seem to have kilts for the girlie costumes :oops: Google can get you in trouble.. my other half wondered what I was upto... and I was only looking for online school uniform suppliers :lol::oops:

Maybe kilts are not such a good idea at all :shock::shock:

A decision has been reached and the full facts will be reported as our lead story at 7am tomorrow.

I presume the school has already informed the parents about the decision :shock:

No disrespect to you Gary but if they've not parents shouldn't have to read the facts/decision in the press first :?

I'm sure that's not the case so appologies for just being my usual self :D:wink::roll::roll::wink:

PS.... having trouble commenting on this thread tonight... :?

I kept getting a message saying 'oops link broken'. My comments then just disappeared. In the end I ignored the message, stayed on error screen and pressed "refresh" .... it then gave me another message giving me the option to resubmit ..... the post then got added... strange :shock: