Lymm School uniform poll

Gary

Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

Since our report on the proposed new school uniforms at Lymm High School and the release of this month's issue of Lymm Life magazine we have been inundated with calls/emails for and against the proposals. Now anyone affected by the issue can comment here and cast their vote.

BUT YOU NEED TO REGISTER ON THE FORUM TO BE ABLE TO VOTE. YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO VOTE ONCE.

This is a "Live" forum giving people the benefit of free speech. Posts will only be deleted if deemed offensive by the moderators.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever uniform they have already and whatever way they are wearing it can't possibly be as bad as any of these three!!!!!

Absolutely awful all of them :shock::shock::shock:

School uniforms should be of classic design, straight skirts and blazers, and thus able to ride fashion trends, being neither too 'in' nor too 'out'.

The fact that the Headmistress and Governors are acting in such blatant opposition to the pupils and parents on this issue is disgraceful. What kind of an example are they setting? and what effect will this have on morale?

Rather than changing the uniform it may be wiser to replace the management!"

Give it a couple of days, only 28 votes in total so far.

I would imagine there'll be a bit of a rush of new members registering who've been watching this topic as guests. Judging by the nunmber of views on this thread and the discussion topic, there's no shortage of interest in the subject.

Why does the choice of uniform not include the one we already have. Mmmm now who wears a lot of red and black? :twisted: What a coincidence one of the choices is made up of those colours, hideous.

We don't need a new uniform if the one we already have is worn correctly. If pupils wear it incorrectly the teachers should pull them up about it, if it continues then parents should be notified, if nothing is done then detention should be given.

I am not against change but i am against the way this has been handled. To hold a meeting in the middle of a morning when most parents are working is disrespectful and an insult. Massive changes should be gradual, not everyone who lives in Lymm is wealthy enough to throw away a perfectly good uniform and buy a new one. If we are to be given 'help' towards it, i would like to know what pot the money is being taken from :?:

The real scandal here is the editing of the school blog. People have made comments in various forums reporting that their

postings did not appear. - free and fair consultation - I don't think so.

Pupils voting on the choice of three uniforms were informed they would get detention if they did not vote of spoilt their ballot paper - free and fair consultation - again I don't think so.

The school and governors should hang their heads in shame!

The real scandal here is the editing of the school blog. People have made comments in various forums reporting that their

postings did not appear. - free and fair consultation - I don't think so.

Pupils voting on the choice of three uniforms were informed they would get detention if they did not vote of spoilt their ballot paper - free and fair consultation - again I don't think so.

The school and governors should hang their heads in shame!

As anyone can see now I am following the blofg and I posted a comment last week - but it has still not been published.

Thhere is little point in inviting people to comment if you are going to monitor every post and decide what can and can not be published.

I have stuck my neck out by publishing the facts as reported to me from both sides and allow open debate.

A small minority of parents seem to think that I have got it in for the school and the head teacher - I have not.

I am not taking sides, just allowing healthy debate on something which is obviously a very important issue.

I would be delighted if this issue could be resolved to the satisfaction of the majority.

Does this school not realise there is a major recession on at the moment and a lot of parents may be too embarrassed to ask for assistance in clothing their little darlings? :oops:

Impose discipline on the existing uniform before you even start to think about replacing it.

Where the head has slipped up is in allowing the pupils to have a say.

Consult parents, yes. But given the appearance of so many school children these days, they should be the last to be considered.

So you are advocating that a school should be run almost like a dictatorship with the pupils having no say in matters!!!! :shock:

That would work well! :roll:

Perhaps we should bring back caning as well! That would ensure improved discipline. :wink:

Actually school governors have a statutory duty to consult with pupils on policy matters that affect them (e.g. uniform, school day) see Education & Skills Act 2008 (section 157).

Also, it is pertinent to remember that we live in a country that in 1991 ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child - this grants children and young people the right to express their views, and to have these views given due weight in all matters that affect them (see Article 12, 17, 13, 23, 2)

There has to be a first time for everthing. I find myself agreeing with Eagle!

Yes - when it comes to school uniforms, the pupils should have no say in the matter. They have shown themselves unqualified to have an opinion in this respect.

And YES I would like to see caning restored. It would give teachers some chance to maintaining order.

And if there are any laws which prevent these courses of action then those laws should be changed.

macaque, whenever I encounter the word 'Rights' I shudder because it is attention to various nonsense rights that is sendng this country down the pan.

A good indication of a well run school, apart from academic ratings, is the way pupils wear the uniforms rather than what the uniforms look like. If the pupils of Lymm are allowed to wander around in numerous variations of the current uniform then they are already having their say in the matter due to shoddy discipline and weak management.

Where the head has slipped up is in allowing the pupils to have a say.

Lucy, it would be impossible to only consult the parents and I doubt it would have made a jot of difference as I'm sure most parents would discuss it with their child and take on board their opinion to a certain extent.

Anyway as Macaque quite rightly says the board of governors do have a statutory duty to consult with both current and prospective pupils/parents/carers.

Consult parents, yes. But given the appearance of so many school children these days, they should be the last to be considered.

If their appearance is that bad how is a new uniform going to make it any better. Skirts can still be rolled up, ties worn half mast, shirts untucked etc etc.

Maybe an option would be to say.... "right you lot... START WEARING YOUR CURRENT UNIFORM PROPERLY... right style skirt (no shorter than just above the knee), ties tied nicely, shirts and blouses tucked in. trousers around the waist boys and NOT hanging under your buttocks showing your undies and we'll say no more about it.....

If you don't you get STRIPEY BLAZER No. 3 and CHECKED SKIRTS/TROUSERS... end of consultation"

That should sort it out :lol::wink: