Tax on phone lines?

observer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obs,

the problem is that the past governments have tried to let private enterprise create a network which should be created by the government for the people.

Think of the number of companies that have tried to get a handle on the national fibre network.... Nynex, Cable and Wireless, Virgin all of them have struggled because not everyone wants to pay while some are using sky for TV etc.

What they should have done from the start is suck a tenner on the license fee and made all houses cable ready without the need for massive profits from day one. Lots of the streets round callands and westbrook don't have cable; a big missed opportunity if you ask me!

I agree, but if, as a tax payer, I'm shelling out for such investment, I want a piece of the pie - a share in the profits. IF, as you seem to suggest, only Government (the tax-payer) can get this thing up and running, then a nationalised telecommunications company (like the old BT) is clearly the way to do it. Obviously, as evidenced by this example, supply and demand has it's limitations. :wink:

Yes. but only once the fibre network is up and running I would then sell it to the highest bidder.

What has happened now is that all of the areas aren't covered and you have situations like happen in Warrington; My mums house in Bewsey (she's 80 odd) and all of the old folks bungalows near the park are cabled (with probably a zero or very low take up) and yet estates with large private houses up here in callands and Westbrook (complete with 2.4 kids and dads working from home etc.) are not cabled and are on the outer limits of the Warrington exchange. Or the daftest one is in Callands where part of my mates street is cabled and part isn't. So he has houses to the right of him (about 50 yards up the street) that are cabled and houses to the left of him that are done as well!

None of the companies are interested in installing new fibres; prefering instead to just keep to what they have without any capital outlay. I even once called Cable & Wireless and offered to put a fibre into my close free of charge..... but they wouldn't let me!! :lol:

Baz did you not choose to live in Callands, Why should I pay more tax to subsidize where you live :wink:

Nope I chose to live in Westbrook and did so long before the fibres started being installed So Actually I think my human rights have been breached by me not having access to high speed broadband like my fellow citizens in nBewsey.

If I go to the Euro court it could cost millions.... so just pay up Kije and let me have fast broadband and we'll say no more about it! :lol:

I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact that the competing companies aren?t really offering the same services. Think of BT and you automatically think phone lines but do the same with Virgin and you get Cable TV. If it were the case that we were dealing only with phone lines, I?m sure the problem would be much easier to resolve.

Might be wrong Asp, but I thought it was bad etiquette to point out other peoples typos and spelling mistakes on a forum.

No I'm right I've checked it is bad etiquette. If you are having trouble with it I could help you we could start simply say with a knife and fork :wink:

It is Definitely a breech of my human rights subsidizing other people for living in out of the way places

There are a lot of remote and out of the way places in Europe that we are subsidising Sgt.... and I know what I would prefer to pay for! :lol:

The more remote users could be serviced by improving the mobile network rather than laying expensive cables. Of course that?s provided people don?t object to a mast spoiling their village. :lol:

Bill :)

Baz, I'm on my third whiskey and the missing word was "you" :lol::lol::lol: