School uniform row

Gary

We seem to have wandered away from school uniforms, don't we?

But on the subject of kids (or adults) who pay extra for clothing because it bears a particular logo, isn't a pity that parents and schools cannot instill a sense of pride in THEMSELVES in children.

Then perhaps they might realise that if companies want them to carry an advert on their clothing, the companies should be paying them!

My husband felt strongly about this. About 10 years ago he wanted a baseball cap (for sport I hasten to add). He tramped the streets of two towns to find one that DIDN'T have a logo or maker's name on it.

He eventually found one and, such was its quality, that he is still wearing it today. And it cost half the price of the branded ones!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topics always wander sooner or later Lucy :lol:

I think the vast majority of parents do try and instill a sense of pride in their children. However as the kids get into their teens the inner pride not only comes from their achievements but also in the form of wearing 'cool' clothes the they feel good in... and of course that others admire or recognise :? .

Pop stars (showing my age now as they are 'artists' now) wear designer gear as do footballers and other people that kids admire. Then there are the adverts and latest 'must wear' trends.

Times have changed and kids brains are bombarded with TV ads, magazines and there's also the internet. We didn't have all that.

In addition they seem to have more access to money than we did so maybe that is why too.

Not sure wether I'd like to be given the change to go through my teenage years again now in this day and age. Seems a bit more stressful in some areas than it was 30 years ago but then again :lol:

I remember going to my first teenage school dicso and my mum bought me a pair of flared black and white heavy weight checked trousers (we are talking 3 inch squares for each colour....I hated them but mum said they looked 'lovely' and I had to wear them or not go... I can still visualise them now and can't believe I still went :shock::lol::oops:

Anyway I'm rambling but tell your hubby that if he's got over his fear of logos the sports shop at bridge foot are selling really nice logo'd caps for around ?4 at the moment :wink::lol:

Absolutely agree with you. If one of mine gets pleasure and a bit of a confidence boost out of having the "right" credentials on a few special items for best, then that's nice and it's fun and it's healthy. If they started running up debt, refusing to wear non-branded or picking their friends based on logos, then I'd put a stop to it. I'd knit them a nice Fair Isle jumper in clashing colours and a matching hat..... that's what my granny did to us and pretty much anything else looked good by comparison! :lol:

:wink::lol::lol: Any chance that you can knit a jumper and hat for my other half for Christmas :lol::lol: It might make him start to think about new clothes more often if I say 'Ooooh I THOUGHT you would love it based on the other favourite items in your wardrobe' :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Returning to the original topic - school uniforms!

I had occasion to travel into Liverpool yesterday and noted as I drove through the Aintree area (a part that looked as if it could be described as a "disadvantaged" area) that all the children going to school looked remarkably smart. These were high school pupils. Their uniform was not particularly distinctive but what took my eye was that there were no shirts/blouses worn outside trousers/skirts, no ties loosely knotted and half way down the chest and no make-up or ultra short skirts.

Today I drove through Lymm and saw all the usual shirts outside trousers, untidy ties, micro skirts and heavy make-up.

The new head may have introduced new uniforms but it seems she still hasn't managed to improve standards of appearance.

I don't know whether the dust has settled on this issue yet, but over the last couple of days I have seen quite a few Lymm High girls in the new uniforms. And very smart they look too! Much better than even I expected.

I do sympathise with people who genuinely have problems finding the money to pay for them but, in the long run, I think it is worth it.

The girls stand out - they look smart and the ones I have seen are not trying to look like little sex kittens! Probably because they are the new recruits! By the time they are 14 or 15 they may well be trying to look like sex kittens and if the new uniform makes that more difficult for them, so much the better.

So you have now changed your mind about the implemenatation of the new Lymm school uniform then :wink::P

As was said all along ANY unfirom can look smart just as ANY can look messy. Kids eh !?

At least Lymm's heamistress only has the cost of a new uniform to learn from :lol:

No I haven't changed my mind. I think the new uniform is smarter than the old. But obviously, it doesn't matter what uniform you wear if you are determined enough to look scruffy.

In fact, the scruffy pupils at Lymm seem to be the older ones still wearing the old uniform. The younger ones in the new uniform are, by and large, smarter.

But the point I was making in my latest post was that pupils in a relatively disadvantaged area of Liverpool were looking smarter than those in middle-class Lymm. As a "Lymmite" myself this does not please me. I would like to know the explanation and the only one I can come up with that parents and, possibly, teachers too at Lymm are less keen on disciplining their children.

I mean, WHY do children want to wear their shirts outside trousers'skirts? And why do parents let them?

I really don't know the answer Lucy but it was obvious from day one that a new uniform alone would not smarten up the image or stop kids from wearing it in the wrong manner.

As for parents 'allowing' the kids to wear their school shirts outside their trousers/skirts etc..... how are the parentls supposed to know :? The kids might tuck them in again before they get home :wink:

I must admit that the first thing I used to do when leaving the school premises at the end of the day was to undo my top button and loosen (or even remove) my tie as the school day was finally over. Hurrah :lol: