School uniform row

Gary

Yes Kate it was a new starters (year 7) LYMM High School Uniform.

I can PM you with it though if you'd like to know sooner as no other parents seem to have mentioned it on here yet :wink: Guess they are all rich after all :lol:

Yes, please. My daughter is interested.

Just for Lucy's sake I'll post it on here instead :wink: .

Lymm High School Year 7 girls (new style uniform) cost so far

JUST SHORT OF ?300 :shock:

PS the parents were not/are not objectors to the change and were unaware of all the online discussions that went on etc. But they are certainly not impressed with the total cost etc.

It's a heck of a lot of money to have to fork out in one go :shock:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gather that this amount will include the enforced "extras" in the uniform like a special, but obligatory, swimsuit and a gum-shield for hockey, to name but two.

When my two older children were at Lymm Grammar School, and the uniform was bottle green, there used to be a sale every year of used but good uniform items. I got my son's first school rugby shirt (green with a broad white horizontal stripe) from such a sale when he was about to start at the school. It was as good as new and lasted him until 4th year - sorry, year 10.

In those days the girls wore green skirts and I used to buy my daughter's on Warrington market. Jumpers were hand knitted by me and shirts bought from various sources, a white shirt is.....a white shirt.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether the dust has settled on this issue yet, but over the last couple of days I have seen quite a few Lymm High girls in the new uniforms. And very smart they look too! Much better than even I expected.

I do sympathise with people who genuinely have problems finding the money to pay for them but, in the long run, I think it is worth it.

The girls stand out - they look smart and the ones I have seen are not trying to look like little sex kittens! Probably because they are the new recruits! By the time they are 14 or 15 they may well be trying to look like sex kittens and if the new uniform makes that more difficult for them, so much the better.

Yeah, it pretty well died off when news of the actual prices broke (below if you want them), as opposed to the rumoured ones.

I think they look great too. I wasn't fussed to a new uniform, but there is no denying this one is smarter. Mine are actually quite keen now to upgrade from the "grotty grey" as one of them called it the other day. And of course, any girl who doesn't like the plaid can still wear pants.

(The new skirt is ?20, the new blazer costs the same as the old one, ?25 or ?28 depending on size. The new sweaters aren't in yet, but are most likely to cost ?11.50, the same price as the previous ones on offer. Standard PE kit is unchanged at ?29.50 in total for shorts, shirt and sweatshirt. Technology aprons a fiver each......)

Yeah, it pretty well died off when news of the actual prices broke (below if you want them), as opposed to the rumoured ones.

Not sure if that was aimed at one of my earlier comments re the cost for a year 7 new starter being just short of ?300 as I certainly wasn't trying to start silly rumours.

Must admit from the prices you quote for the new items of uniform ie skirt/blazer do sound fairly reasonable :D (so appologies for that one :wink: )

Still doesn't explain why the total cost for a new starter was just short of ?300 though... guess the total must have included all the other 'approved' items that had to be bought too... OUCH !!

Sorry........ but then again ?300 is a HUGE amount regardless. Makes you wonder how people afford to send kids to school these days let alone to re-clothe (how is that spelldid :?: ) them when they grow :?:lol:

Guess more important issues (other than uniform) are now in the forefront of parents minds such as wether little poppet is happy at big school .... only time will tell but I know some who are saying "it's really scarey" and they can't understand why the teachers shout so much :shock::cry::lol:

Lymm is posh.... ex council houses sell for more there than a 4 bed detached in Westbrook!!

My blazer was a nice one from the COOP when it used to be down the side of where TJ Hughes is now (I seem to remember they had the bit that is now part of Barclays Bank

Oooh don't call Lymm POSH or it will all start again :shock:

What will start again? The word "posh" (while it isn't used by people who are actually posh) is not an insult. It's a compliment. Look it up in any decent dictionary.

As to Lymm having council houses, yes of course it did, built in the days when Lymm had its own Urban Council. Not only did it have council houses, it had council estates, some of them built in the most attractive parts of what was then referred to as a town, rather than a village. Today, many have been purchased by the former tenants and may have changed hands several times since and others are still rented from housing associations which have taken over the function of councils when it comes to housing.

As to why they should be worth more than detached houses in Westbrook, I am as mystified as anyone else. Something to do with being near Manchester Airport (but not getting aircraft noise) and the motorways, I am told.

Oooh don't call Lymm POSH or it will all start again :shock:

What will start again? The word "posh" (while it isn't used by people who are actually posh) is not an insult. It's a compliment. Look it up in any decent dictionary.

I am perfectly aware of the definitions of the word 'posh' thanks Lucy and yes many in Lymm are indeed 'Posh' :D:wink:.....

ps I never said it was a insult to call a person posh either :P

pps I was only joking with the question about 'Lymm having council houses' :lol: Of course it does and I bet they are posh too :lol::lol::wink:

Apparently so. A salesman who used to work for me lived in one and at the time, his 3 bed semi detached ex-council house was valued at more than my 3 bed detached hose in Westbrook..... beats me!! :lol:

Gosh! a three bedroomed detached hose!! :shock:

now that's posh, we're still using watering cans where I live!! :lol:

If it were houses you were talking about the reason houses in Lymm would be more expensive than Westbrook would be because Lymm is classed as a rural/semi rural area, it has an attractive village centre, some good heritage features etc (sounding a bit like an estate agent aren't I?)

Any house in what is regarded as a nice rural area would be more expensive than the exact same house in less sought after areas,

whether they are ex-council or not.

Ex-council houses anyway are probably a better buy than new build, ask any builder worth his salt! Many were built in the 50's with top quality materials which are rarely if ever used today.

Buying the tack thrown up today is not cost effective, by the time the mortgage is paid off the place will probably be falling down, :shock: and an endowment mortgage will be needed to pay the cost of waste disposal! :roll::roll:

Council houses often have larger and more private gardens also than those on the new build estates!

In fact ex-council houses are a really good investment, and at present will be extremely so in areas such as Westbrook! :shock:

Come 2011 when HACA gets into full swing South Warrington will soon lose it's semi-rural status and the other side of town will become the 'green sought after bit' and of course house prices will adjust accordingly. :wink:

Lucy wrote......

Dismayed replied.......

I am perfectly aware of the definitions of the word 'posh' thanks Lucy and yes many in Lymm are indeed 'Posh' :D:wink:.....

ps I never said it was a insult to call a person posh either :P

Due to it's evolving as a derogatory colloquialism for the pretentiousness of the 'nouveau riche' the term posh became regarded as an insult. Most especially to the truly genteel to whom the essence of good breeding is good manners and in whose circles pretentiousness would be regarded as particularly vulgar Lucy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if that was aimed at one of my earlier comments re the cost for a year 7 new starter being just short of ?300 as I certainly wasn't trying to start silly rumours.

Nope, I don't do snidey digs. If I'd meant you, or meant to query the ?300 figure, I'd have been direct about it. I kit out a small herd of the blighters every school year and if you count in shoes, coat, bags, stationery and a year's clothing, ?300 is easy enough to spend, depending on your choice of shops. I just knew the prices cos I'd been in the shop and nobody else had posted them, so I did.

Required spend for a first year is about ?100ish, which is hard enough for some people, although most items will last more than one year. For context, though, one of mine went out this weekend in a pair of jeans that were ?90, a shirt that was ?45 and trainers that were ?120, plus designer pants at ?20. Almost ?300 on the hoof there, and none of that'll last a year! (And before ANYONE starts, no, I didn't pay for it, it was funded from part-time job wages).

And just for the record, Baz, I was born in a Manchester slum and then moved to a council house..... nowt posh here! :lol:

For context, though, one of mine went out this weekend in a pair of jeans that were ?90, a shirt that was ?45 and trainers that were ?120, plus designer pants at ?20. Almost ?300 on the hoof there, and none of that'll last a year! (And before ANYONE starts, no, I didn't pay for it, it was funded from part-time job wages).

?90 for a pair of jeans :shock::shock: Guess yours has not cottoned on to the fact that they are only paying for a little name badge rather than quality. Kids eh :roll::lol:

What badge was it..... Henleys by any chance :wink: If you know where and when to shop you can get genuine designer (for want of a better word) jeans and tops at a fraction of the usual prices :D

When you say pants by the way do you mean 'undies' ??

Seems the fashion these days for lads to have their designer jeans hanging below their bum cheeks (sorry buttocks) with their designer undies fully on show :lol: They look soooooooooooo funny :lol::lol:

One size fits all it seems, as long as you wear a belt :lol: The manufacturers must really be raking in the profits now :evil:

Yup, "pants" as in underwear. I just like the word. As opposed to "skidders", as my delightful offspring refers to them. At ?20 per pair, I should probably call them "in-vestments"!

Jeans were HALF PRICE in a sale and trainers came from some outlet somewhere. I have pointed out that it is a bit silly to buy a ?5 t-shirt with a ?40 logo on it, but ears are sometimes very deaf at that age. I suppose wearing M&S tightie whities would just be an unsurvivable embarrassment.

There will shortly come a day when I get to see realisation dawn that all those hours waiting tables went to pay for rubbish..... Meanwhile, I take the view that there's no difference between buying the shirt for ?45 and buying a concert ticket for the same price, or a posh meal out or going to the match - we're all basically paying for our choice of pleasure. It doesn't last, but it makes life sweeter! :wink:

I guess we shouldn't really criticise after all at least ours are working for their own money and not wasting ours. :lol:

They are in for a shock when they get into the real world with mortgages and other bills so maybe they should enjoy the shopping life while they can afford it :wink:

I guess I spoke to soon as mine has just blummin' well spent his whole weeks wages on the new realease Fifa 10 console game.. even though he already has Fifa 8 & 9 :roll: Now THAT IS A WASTE OF HARD EARNED CASH :evil: .... in my opinion of course :lol:

Daft thing is he plays real sports nearly every night of the week (after homework of course) and works at weekends so rarely has time to sit infront of his lazy games console anyway :lol::lol:

When I was growing up, we had no money to spare. Anything I earned went into the family pot to pay for the basics. I never felt deprived, and I had a great childhood, but I was aware that most of my friends had choices and freedom I didn't, and it stemmed from having a bit of money to "waste" on pleasure - pointless shopping, makeup, silly shoes, bus fare and burgers, or whatever.

We're still not wealthy - and with a herd of kids, we're never going to be. Holidays are just out of the question - air fares or Hotel costs would break the bank completely on our numbers. However, I'm lucky enough now to be able to afford to give my kids a bit of money for that kind of fun, and when they earn money it's not needed to pay for the household basics. So I actually enjoy seeing them fund a social life or buy stuff that pleases them - even if I know it's not great value or sensible.

And every now and then I join in too! :D