School uniform row

Gary

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a read through the government guidance on school uniform policy, here:- http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/u/uniform/

It doesn't sound like the head teacher at Lymm High has followed ANY of the recomendations contained in the document.

I particularly noticed item 7.

"7. Schools or retailers that have exclusive contracts with suppliers may in principle be subject to enforcement action under Chapter I of the Competition Act 1998, on the grounds that these exclusive agreements may restrict competition between retailers to supply uniform."

And item 9, which quotes governing bodies statutory duties from the Schools Admissions Code:-

"Governing bodies should ensure that the uniform chosen is widely available in high street shops and other retail outlets, and internet suppliers rather than from an expensive sole supplier;

schools can use their own purchasing power to buy in bulk and pass on savings to parents. Governing bodies should not seek to operate as sole suppliers in order to raise additional funds through the sale of new school uniforms"

It also appears that this isn't even a decision that the head has the power to take. School uniform policy falls within the remit of the governors.

If the question is: should schools have a uniform dress code, with ties properly tightened and skirts not tucked up into a mini - I suggest the evidence, in terms of the maintainance of dicipline and student achievement is YES. :shock: The issue of swapping and changing "the uniform" is another matter. :roll:

If the question is: should schools have a uniform dress code, with ties properly tightened and skirts not tucked up into a mini - I suggest the evidence, in terms of the maintainance of dicipline and student achievement is YES. :shock: The issue of swapping and changing "the uniform" is another matter. :roll:

But by offering only one source for said uniform, the svhool ensure that it is the correct style.... so where is the problem?

Anyone who went to Boteler Grammar will know all about uniform policies and personally I think they are a good idea

I think the main bone of contention, amongst the parents, is the cost. They are being asked to kit their children out in a new uniform by September, regardless of how long ago they bought the last one, and informed that it can only be sourced through the school at a considerable price. Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone in Lymm is by any means wealthy and the additional cost is, for some, a real difficulty.

It seems the biggest problem, at present, is the variation in shades of grey! Apparently there is a large discrepancy in the greys of M & S, the Market and other suppliers and the new head doesn't like it, where her pupils' skirts and trousers are concerned. She is also rather against the length, or lack of it, of skirts worn by many of the girls. Now I can see that a sole supplier would negate the shade differences, especially if the tartan is adopted, but how will it prevent the hitching up of skirts? Girls, and boys, tend to "go with the flow" of current fashion, no matter what.

A serious local topic? Surely you are joking, nothing ever happen worth noting in Lymm then? The BNP is serious topic, a school uniform is local trivia. :roll:

I am not the joker on here when it comes to local issues! :roll:

:roll::roll:

I don't have a child at Lymm... BUT I'd be pretty p'eed off if I got a letter home from my sons school saying his uniform was changing and I had to buy a complete new one ... :shock:

Unique school ties and badges are fine and completely understandable but the rest of the uniform should be fairly standard and available to buy anywhere :wink:

If they still stick by their decision to change it then it should, at least, be brought in slowly and only applied to the new intake in year 7.