BNP Win Two Seats in Euro Parliament

Bazj

Well it happened. Nick Griffin and his party won two seats last night in a "shock" move that has upset everyone else...... The posh Tory bloke on the Manchester stage last night said we shouldn't be electing people like that....... someone in the audience shouted "democracy democracy" can't argue with that one....

Mr Griffin also reckons he and his party will now get his researchers into the archieves of Europe and find the theft and waste of the mainstream parties and expose it. Now the question is that if he does find what he says is there and the fact that the main parties have all coluded to keep it under wraps....... what then?

Finally, in his speach last night he did say one thing about the mainstream parties that I couldn't really argue with.....

"Let's face it - they've all ruined this country, they've transformed it into a crime-ridden slum without any industry left."

Enough said!!

Eagle I agree, its a sad day :!:

Sad or not, the way the main parties are heading; support for the BNP will continue to grow I'm afraid. Mainstream Politicians are just not listening to the voters....

Sad or not, the way the main parties are heading; support for the BNP will continue to grow I'm afraid. Mainstream Politicians are just not listening to the voters....

Except that they actually won their seats with less votes than they received at the last Euro elections - it's just that the other parties, mainly Labour, didn't get as many votes as last time.

Further to that, trends tend to show that when the BNP get a taste of power, they tend to show their true, amateurish colours - and voters are less likely to make the same mistake in the future. We can only hope that the same will be true at the next Euro elections.

Right on Baz; I'm loving all this arrogant indignation from the mainstream - great! :wink: IF they want to win back voters (IE those that don't vote at all); they need to start listening to them and changing their policies accordingly - EG; A referendum on EU membership; and an immigration policy that stops this Country being treated like a charity shop. :wink:

But if people are voting for the BNP there is obviously a problem with some of the main parties policies that some people don't agree with. Regardless of how many people "actually" voted (the number of people who voted for all the parties was probably down) This was the Labour parties worst share of the vote since the first world war

Don't fall for the cameron & Brown hype; not every person who votes for the BNP is a racist. If people are still voting for the BNP we have to ask why

The BNP policies are more akin to the Left Wing of the Labour party than any far right organisation; they believe in high taxes, they believe in nationalisation of utility companies......

It is the mainstream parties that are out of touch I'm afraid

Again correct Baz; if the critics stopped moaning for a second and actually checked out their web site to see exactly what their policies actually are - then perhaps a sensible debate could ensue, rather than the hysterical self-rightious indignation we're getting. :wink:

I'd say 132k voting for them in the NW is a bit more than a protest and about 25% of those (in number) as opposed to those who voted Tory. As much as I hate much of what they say, are we to suspect that the above people are all racists or do they have the right to say what they think despite anyone not agreeing?

Interstingly legally if they were racists they could be arrested and charged under a variety of statutes the minute the open their mouth or print something offensive. It was tried once and Griffin got off. As they appear to be within the law, then a battle of minds is the challenge and as stated above the main parties arent listenign and therefore not up to it

Interesting point Adrian: as the whole point of elections is to place propositions/policies before the people, by definition, such propositions are not law, but (if elected) intended legislation. :? If "the law" doesn't allow complete freedom of speech to propose new ideas for legislation, it therefore limits political expression, therfore democracy itself - think about it. :?:wink:

I do not feel that the BNP won 2 seats and had over 900k national votes just because of " protest votes ".

I personally believe it is because a lot of people are fed up to the eyeballs with the lies ( or is that half truths ? ) and greed from members of the mainstream parties.

Whatever happens the main parties should not fob the result off, but try to find out why. Whether or not they do something about it is another matter.

With election comes duty and responsibility, it will be interesting to see how each MEP who was elected yesterday interprets that duty and responsibility, and how they then carry it out.

Kinda made me chuckle. Are MP's exempt from this ?

The BNP policies are more akin to the Left Wing of the Labour party than any far right organisation; they believe in high taxes, they believe in nationalisation of utility companies......

Apart from re-nationalising monopoly utilities I fail to see how they are akin to the left wing of the Labour Party :?:?:?

They want to raise the threshold for paying tax to ?15000, halve the council tax, re-introduce grammar schools, reverse the closure of special needs schools, and preserve the right to buy Council Houses, not exactly left wing Labour policies :?

Maybe not? Seems a bit pointless mentioning it in the first place then. :?

Not really; we have established that they are not as far right as the press make them out to be (and indeed would like them to be)

So they are not as far right as the press put them and not as far left as you put them. So where would you actually put them then?

Not that it matters because we all have make up our own minds, I hate most of the things they stand for, how about you?

I couldn't say "all " since I don't know them all, I agree with stopping "corruption" in the EU but I won't hold my breath. I agree with "cutting council tax" but that is a vote catcher to the gobbins who don't think they are a racist party.

They had six councillors elected on that promise, when the subject was up for discussion they didn't turn up.