5th UK minister resigns, piling pressure on Brown

Mary

Prime Minister Gordon Brown was dealt a devastating blow to his leadership late Thursday when one of his most ambitious ministers resigned ? hours after Britain voted in European elections ? and called on him to step down.

Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell became the fifth minister to abandon Brown's Cabinet in recent days. Purnell called on the prime minister to resign for the good of the Labour party in a resignation letter seen by The Associated Press.

Purnell was the first of the five ministers to openly criticize Brown and ask him to step down.

In his letter to Brown, Purnell writes: "I am calling on you to stand aside to give our party a fighting chance of winning. As such I am resigning from Government."

As I understand it, Mr Purnell is a Blairite, rather a lightweight.....and has an expenses problem. Somebody was telling me last night that they thought David Milliband would go this morning.....time will tell I guess :shock:

In years gone by, those with ministerial aspirations would wait anxiously by the phone awaiting the call to go to Number 10 to receive their promotion, I sense many will be putting their answermachines on and making themselves scarce. :wink::)

........"and another one's gone, and another one's gone.... another one bites the dust".... (Sang in the voice of Freddie Mercury!!

Poor old Gordon; Now John Hutton has resigned...he will soon be looking to the Lib Dems to fill his cabinet at this rate! :lol::lol:

What happens if even more go and no others can or will take their place.... (don;t know how the system workd for job advertising sorry :oops: )

Will Gordie finally go or will a general election have to be called :D

Caroline Flint sticks the boot in (interestingly I understand she is being replaced by Glynis Kinnock who will be made a Baroness, and joins her Husband in the House of Lords), guess there will be more twist and turns over the next week. David Miliband bottled it and left his mate Purnell high an dry, and stayed on, guess he reckoned that by resigning he probably wouldn't be in with a chance of being the Labour Leader one day.

This is being hyped by the press, who just love the gossip; fact is; in 12 months time folk will be faced with a stark choice, between the lesser of two evils; for those that remember the Thatcher years, it won't be a hard choice - lepards don't change their spots. :roll: The ego tripping of these Bliarite prima-donnas, merely underlines their carreerist self- indulgence. :twisted: