Party Chiefs Join Forces against BNP

Gary

So, they can agree and work together when their places on the gravy train are threatened. But when something needs done for the good of the people of the borough they'll bicker and obstruct eachother like children.

BNP, UKIP, the Greens, and the rest don't have any realistic prospect of gaining enough MP's or MEP's to actually take any power and change anything, but maybe if they win a significant number of votes then the mainstream parties will have to take a fresh look at why some of their policies are attractive to the electorate.

Agree with your sentiments Inky: I recall the countless times I listened the Churchmen and Politicians telling Sein Fein to abandon "the bomb" and "return to the ballot box"; and when you do get a Political Party (however objectionable), participating, as they are perfectly entitled to do, in the civilized mechanisms of democracy, we get this chorus of arrogant outrage. :shock: The reason they fear the BNP is simply because their policies have more relevence and resonance amongst those dissilusioned with the main Parties; and rather than reviewing their own policies on the EU and immigration in order to bring them more into line with public opinion; they attempt to intimidate folk away from a legitimate democratic choice. :twisted: As Inky rightly said; there's no chance of the BNP ever gaining office - at least not if the main Parties wake up, pull their heads out of the sand (or should that be wallets?!) and start listening to the concerns and aspirations of a majority of British people. :twisted:

If any of the major parties were genuinely Euro-sceptic I might vote for them - assuming they could convince me that they're not all a bunch of thieving chancers.

Since all of the big 3 are Euro-sycophants to one extent or another, I'll have to vote for someone else in the European elections.

Not really sure what who I vote for in the Euro elections has to do with the local town hall dwellers anyway.

Can?t disagree with any of that and if things go as expected, it should be a long overdue wake up call to all politicians that people are not happy with the current system. That said, I can understand in some towns, what may be purely a protest vote could well backfire, although I doubt that?s going to be the case here.

The thing is though, I think it?s right to make people aware of the ramifications of a poorly thought out protest vote but the question is who's impartial enough to make such an announcement? If the world was made up of thinking people it shouldn?t be necessary but it?s not.

Until ballot papers include a protest option i.e. none of the above, my choice again will be a none vote.

Bill :)

Does any know if spoiled ballots are counted as votes cast when it comes to calculating each candidates percentage share of the vote?

What I mean is that if there is a low turnout we hear a bit of moaning about apathetic voters, but not much else. The big 3 always focus more on their share of the vote than the total number of votes they received, if their percentage share holds up they leave their heads buried in the sand.

So if spoiled ballots were counted among the total votes cast, then a campaign of spoiling ballots would reduce all candidates percentage share. Could be an alternative way to send a message without protest voting for another party.

Insider

Don't confuse a considered decision with apathy. In any case, if most people shared my points of view this discussion wouldn't be taking place. :wink: Simply voting for the sake of it or supporting an individual party whose policy's you don?t fully agree with is a sure-fire way of ensuring no change to the system.

Perhaps it needs something like the BNP to win a big share of the votes to make politicians wake up to the fact that the public are sick to death of their inter party bickering and child like behaviour.

Bring on the Common Sense party and they?d get my vote.

Anyway, where've you been hiding lately? Not seen you around these parts for a while.

Bill :)

The BNP web site does sound rather convincing....(ok so I had a quick look but only becasue of the press releases in the local news)

I would imagine that many younger people and those who are disolussioned could fall for the BNP twaddle and decide to vote their way without realising what they actually stand for.

The council leaders approach could possibly make more people look towards the BNP just out of interest as they are obviously seen as a threat by the 3 main parties... which could actually result in even more votes for the BNP.

As I've already said their website does read very well at a QUICK glance.. which is something most voters will ever do :(

Bit confused with your post Diz: you say BNP "twaddle", then go on to say, that their web site "reads very well"? :? Problem is; most folk won't visit their web site, or indeed any other Party web site, in order to arrive at an informed decision. :roll: One thing is clear; the EU election provides the opportunity for a bit of fun by the electors for a change; a chance to well and truly put the boot in on the three main Parties, who are all PRO-EU, PRO- open door immigration, and demonstrated themselves to be a gang of unprincipled thieves. :twisted:

Bit confused with your post Diz: you say BNP "twaddle", then go on to say, that their web site "reads very well"? :?

I call most things political 'twaddle' Obs :wink:

You know what I mean.... your just being awkward :P

No he has not got the guts :wink:

I see your still not striving for Balance Peter :wink: it would be funny if you were not a moderator :!::!::!: should I expect a pm :wink:

Perhaps you should read my posts just as a poster. I rarely post as a moderator, and if I do, normally add Admin. at the end of the post to avoid confusion. :wink: