Time for an Election?

observer

Given we don't have a statutory limit (say 4 years) on our Parliaments. it's left for the sitting PM to decide a time (within 5 years) best suited to their own Party. :? Obviously, Cameron is clamouring for an immediate election, because he thinks he can win it. :roll: Whilst the 4th June (this year) will provide an appropriate vehicle for the electorate to exact vengence on the Political Parties over the sordid activities of this morally bankrupt Parliament; the next General Election will be a time for a more in depth and serious considerations of the options - which will be: a clear choice between higher taxes and/or cuts in public services. :shock: Perhaps the better outcome will be a "hung" Parliament, rather than this "dung" Parliament?! :wink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the next General Election will be a time for a more in depth and serious considerations of the options - which will be: a clear choice between higher taxes and/or cuts in public services. :shock:

I understand that the Conservatives will say:

"We will not cut services but we'll cut the cost of services" :wink:

Time will tell as they say Observer, but it is interesting that there are private hospitals carrying out some work on behalf of the NHS at less cost and providing a much better service, and they are able to do that because they have done away with the bureaucratic baggage that the NHS suffers from, they simply focus on providing an efficient service. I know a number of people who have had NHS treatment at Spire Hospitals, great treatment, private rooms, decent food ....and no MRSA, C-diff, etc. etc.

The police service is another one where the cost of bureaucracy creates a very expensive service. We have more and more police in effect doing less and less.

Personally I happen to think there is lots to go at without the frontline services suffering. The tax and benefits system is another one, we tax people then get them to claim benefits...take them out of the tax system, they then don't need to claim benefits, costs are reduced and they are no worse off...in fact they might be better off.

Just needs a bit of radical thinking, a focus on value for taxpayer's money and the will to see it through.

PS We are now being burdened with extra Parliamentary costs because MPs are on the fiddle, increasing the bureaucratic process and therefore costs is not the solution, simplify the system so that it is virtually impossible to incorrectly submit wrong claims and sack and/or imprison those who then thieve from the public purse.

.....and you just know that somewhere down the line, the thieveing robbing, swindling honourless scum that are our MP's will get a nice whacking big pay rise to makeup for the loss of the trough

Every one of them is as culpable as the next because even those who didn't swindle knew it was acceptable but never blew the whistle.

Jones and Southworth have claimed excessively in my eyes; regardless of whatever nonsense they spout. I run my business with more employees and my costs are less and I put lads up in hotels all over the country. I run an office and I run vehicles and my overheads don't add up to one lot of their expense claims

Thieves and swindlers every one of them.

Come and knock on my door Warrington Labour Party and I guarantee you a mouthful you won't forget!

I doubt they'll be "knocking" on any doors for a while, unless the bring minders with them! :wink: Paul; I agree with your advocacy concerning waste and excess beaurocracy, but it never works out like that' the old dogmas will come to the fore and the less well off will bear the burden, while the rich escape. :twisted: I mean for example: who originated unelected "Quangos"?! :?:shock: PS; Sid, With some MPs threatening suicide - hurry up and throw 'em that rope! :wink:

Seems a poll of people claims: 52% of folk want an immediate general election! :shock: The same poll reveals that over 40% of folk won't be voting, due to the sleaze revalations - and we wonder why the political class has such contempt for ordinary people. :roll:

People are well off these days. The state wet-nurses the un-employed and the rest are a lot of me-me apathists. They are NOT hungry enough to complain. Just a mirror image of life in the Community.

Of course, there are exceptions, but they are not enough to make a difference.

Paul; I agree with your advocacy concerning waste and excess beaurocracy, but it never works out like that' the old dogmas will come to the fore and the less well off will bear the burden, while the rich escape.

I'm ever the optimist Observer...but I sense you are right.

Alas all this focus (important as it is in highlighting disgraceful and in some cases criminal behaviour) on MPs working the system/thieving has distracted attention from the dire economic problems that our country faces, best estimates suggest that the level of public sector debts and liabilities is in the region of ?2 trillion on top of which we have personal debts well in excess of ?1 trillion.

The question I will be asking national politicians is, how are you going to sort it out....ignoring it and budening my children and their children.......is not the answer.....here are a few clues: what taxes will you raise, what savings will you make, how will you grow the economy, what are you going to do about state sector pensions? :wink:

Perhaps the biggest concern, will be "youth" unemployment, as the evidence of recent history suggests that a`lack of routine provided by a work enviroment can leave a work-shy generation, without the necessary skills. :shock: It is therefore vital that we continue to reap taxes in order to retain public services, which in turn creates tax payers rather than tax consumers. :cry:

As shown on here, voters have a very short memory, There are not many who remember how bad the tories were, My point is not to get at the Tories but, Whoever gets in is going to have to turn the screw on the voters, that is what the voters will remember, not the party that was in power when the mess was created. If an election was called tomorrow would any party actually want to win it :!:

If an election was called tomorrow would any party actually want to win it :!:

What a strange question. :?:lol:

I would imagine the Lib Dims wouldn't want to be leaders as they are a rather quiet bunch with no real direction who tend to live off the backs of others ... or am I thinking of parasites. Might have it wrong there sorry :lol:

:lol::wink: No probs Lt K :wink::lol:

To be honest I've still not decided who I'm voting for but I won't be voting for Lib Dem, Labour or BNP .... probably not Conservatives either .. and I can't suss out the others :oops:

Hence my confusion :? Any suggestions :D

:lol::wink: No probs Lt K :wink::lol:

To be honest I've still not decided who I'm voting for but I won't be voting for Lib Dem, Labour or BNP .... probably not Conservatives either .. and I can't suss out the others :oops:

Hence my confusion :? Any suggestions :D

In that case Dis, I'd stay at home, have a whiskey and watch the election on the BBC!!