From the News Pages

ReaderComment

P.Brooks at 15 May 2009 1:31:34 AM BST P.Brooks ( Author)

said this on 15 May 2009 1:31:34 AM BST

How much money needs to be wasted on Bridge St and the ajoining area? The Skittles were the biggest waste of money, then the re-doing of the street where the bombings acured. Put the back the way it was and encourage people to shop in town center again

Anyway, this is half what I thought could be done although for some reason I can't seem to link to the origional story????

All we need now is for Mr G to try and do his bit!

Bill :)

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/5353/1/Final-blueprint-for-Bridge-Street/Page1.html

You mean like this? (GS)

Last edited by Gary on 19 May 2009 17:53; edited 2,376 times in total

No, you missed the point. The hyperlink needs to be to here (not from here).

Also the tidy way to link should look like this Original Story

We now have a local story worthy enough to make the news pages and a member of the public has commented on it. Observer responds with his take on the situation, creating debate that otherwise may not have existed.

Now nobody take this the wrong way but the opinions of a small group of regular posters does tend to dominate the forum but to retain interest and to reflect true public opinion we need fresh input from outside this group.

By opening the door from the news pages we may get more from the likes of Mr/Mrs P Brooks which can only be a good thing. So come on Gary, you know this makes sense so let's try and make it work.

I agree with what you are saying Bill but..........

... The fact that you have to enter an email address etc when commenting or posting on the forum could be off putting for some new users.

Psycologically there is often the 'worry' over entering personal personal or emails details on some sites because of the fear of things like web monitoring, phishing, detail sharing and spam etc. that results form some unscrupulous sites.

It took me quite a while to pluck up the courage to register on here for similar reasons as I'd never been on a forum in my life. But I'm glad I did now and registering has never caused any problems at all....... other than the fact that you all have to put up with me of course :lol:

Yes, and that?s exactly what I?ve done here, but the idea?s to try and bring more people to the forum rather than just give the same old people something to talk about and without the direct link from the story that all we end up with. Mr/Mrs P Brooks is far more likely to visit here if we provide an open rather than hidden door.

The second point, which Dismayed?s already explained so well, is crucial if this idea?s ever going to work. Leaving the door open is one thing but we need to provide a welcome sign to reassure people rather than the current blunt warnings about what the administrators will do if they don?t behave. Yes, I understand the legal rational and the need for the inclusion of such words, it just needs doing better.

Let?s face it, would anyone even consider entering a pub with a large warning on the door stating that the management would eject anyone fighting, swearing, spitting, having sex, doing drugs etc ect ect. Well again I?m not being funny but this is pretty much how people are greeted here!

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally etc ect ect. Not a great welcome is it?

So to summarise, the forum needs more active discussion but needs to look to other ways of achieving it rather than simply adding more sections and providing my comments here can be taken constructively and acted on, we could achieve this.

Yes, and that?s exactly what I?ve done here, but the idea?s to try and bring more people to the forum rather than just give the same old people something to talk about and without the direct link from the story that all we end up with. Mr/Mrs P Brooks is far more likely to visit here if we provide an open rather than hidden door.

The second point, which Dismayed?s already explained so well, is crucial if this idea?s ever going to work. Leaving the door open is one thing but we need to provide a welcome sign to reassure people rather than the current blunt warnings about what the administrators will do if they don?t behave. Yes, I understand the legal rational and the need for the inclusion of such words, it just needs doing better.

Let?s face it, would anyone even consider entering a pub with a large warning on the door stating that the management would eject anyone fighting, swearing, spitting, having sex, doing drugs etc ect ect. Well again I?m not being funny but this is pretty much how people are greeted here!

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally etc ect ect. Not a great welcome is it?

So to summarise, the forum needs more active discussion but needs to look to other ways of achieving it rather than simply adding more sections and providing my comments here can be taken constructively and acted on, we could achieve this.

To post on the forum and become a member of our online community you need to be pretty dedicated.

Commenting on individual stories allows readers the chance to air their views.

Don't forget the vast majority of people only feel the need to comment when they feel pretty strongly about something.

I don't think whatever steps we take to flag stories up on here will actively encourage readers to join up - unless they want to.

But we will continue to look at ways of making this website as interactive as possible and keep all our readers happy -which is going to be a tough task! :wink:

Another big problem is threads often get hijacked or go off topic (like this one has now) whereas by commenting on a single story it sticks to the point.

Peter

If your thinking this would result in a rash of unsavoury posts, just bear in mind that there are very few comments and as far as I can see, there?s never anything abusive.

In any case, it?s going to be Gary who makes the decisions as to which, if any, comments get moved across as only he has the power to add an external link to the forum. Other than that, any one wanting to continue on from his or her original comment would still have to register just like anyone else.

Gary

You asked some direct questions and I?ve spent considerable time trying to come up with what I think are viable and helpful solutions. It?s annoying to think that after all my efforts you?ve rejected this idea without having fully read or understood what I was proposing. If your not prepared to consider the idea then fine, but it would have been nice for you to at least respond to the key points raised.

I know what your like re digging the heels in (My views are my own and you will not change them!) but all I ask is that you a little more more thought to this idea before rejecting it.

Commenting on individual stories allows readers the chance to air their views.

Don't forget the vast majority of people only feel the need to comment when they feel pretty strongly about something

But they still need to enter their email address which can be off putting...... I've already explained 'why' in my earlier post.

Gary.... maybe you should just put a little comment somewhere explaining that entering your email address when commenting is only for verification purposes and is a safety check to stop automatic spamming and the likes.

I'd rather enter my email address than be faced with x rated postings every day :lol:

Exactly my thoughts Peter but it doesn?t bother me these days. I would have thought that maybe by now Gary would have realized that I'm trying to help rather than interfere in his business.

I still think it's a good idea but ultimately its Gary's decision.

Peter

Gary

You asked some direct questions and I?ve spent considerable time trying to come up with what I think are viable and helpful solutions. It?s annoying to think that after all my efforts you?ve rejected this idea without having fully read or understood what I was proposing. If your not prepared to consider the idea then fine, but it would have been nice for you to at least respond to the key points raised.

I know what your like re digging the heels in (My views are my own and you will not change them!) but all I ask is that you a little more more thought to this idea before rejecting it.

I haven't rejected anything? :?

I have responded to the key points

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Very often the problem is finding the time or not having the funds available to implement them.

As far as I am aware all members can post hyperlinks to articles.

I'm finding this increasingly confusing. The situation is, we have a website which is primarily a news site publishing local news. Readers can add their own comments to the stories.

Also on the website is a reader forum where people can comment on just about anything. What is the problem?

It seems we have a group of people who use the forum but don't bother reading the news. There is probably a much larger number that read the news but don't use the forum.

Nothing can be done about that - particularly if we have some people who are worried about posting or commenting if they have to reveal their email address. These people fall into the same category as those who write anonymous letters. Unless I am very much mistaken newspapers will not publish such letters and I would think the same approach should be taken by websites.

If people can't be bothered clicking between the forum and the news pages they must be pretty lazy and there is nothing can be done about that either.

I say "leave well alone."

Gary

Maybe it'll be better if have a chat with you on Saturday to avoid any further confusion.

Your round anyway as I recall :wink:

We are meeting to have a drink with Steve, NOT talk about the Forum. :roll::roll::roll::roll::twisted::evil::twisted::evil::twisted:

and I have been double booked so will only be popping in for a quick hello!

That may well be the case for me as well. Just make sure you bring your wallet and by the way, who?s this Steve?

Egbert said

It seems we have a group of people who use the forum but don't bother reading the news. There is probably a much larger number that read the news but don't use the forum. Nothing can be done about that.

That?s only an opinion Egbert, the reality is we can, and at no cost, but there has to be a desire and willingness to accept that things can be made better then give it a try. If it doesn?t work it can always be put back, and, as a bonus you?ll get to see my bare backside on the town hall steps! :shock:

Just to set the record straight - we don't have an army of web geeks sat here able to turn their hand to suggestions at the drop of the hat.

I actually spend very little time on the forum these days as my main task is generating revenue and fronting the business - which is a lot more than this website forum - in fact the website forum is the least of my worries these days.

I am have a good team of volunteer administrators keeping an eye on proceedings on here and compared to what else is available I still think this website and forum is the best on offer.

There is no way we can keep up with the online communities like facebook e.t.c.

From what I can see/hear the overall majority of our readers are happy we the service we provide.

We have implemented most suggestions since the website changed, including making the text bigger e.t.c

We allow direct links to other domains and photos and we don't over load the site with adverts which almost bring it to a standstill.

All suggestions are welcome for continued improvement - and acted upon when we are able, or if appropriate.

I still don't understand how by linking an article and the forum will encourage more people to post or comment.

It is quite straightforward to comment on the story and/or discuss it on the forum.

Gary, talk to you this weekend or give me a quick call 850717 and I?ll explain my idea much better than I can in writing. It's simple, won?t cost anything and you won't need any tecky stuff at your end.

I will talk to you on Saturday but be there for 7.30pm as I will have to fly about eight.

I am also laying on a buffet for those of you who are hungry!

....... the reality is we can, and at no cost, but there has to be a desire and willingness to accept that things can be made better then give it a try. If it doesn?t work it can always be put back, and, as a bonus you?ll get to see my bare backside on the town hall steps! :shock:

I like the forum..... I ALWAYS read the news pages first... and I sometimes comment on the 'news' page but as they get 'lost' after a day and discussions rarely carry on on the new page.

Anyway.....

Gary, Firstly don't be so defensive all the time as this is a great site :wink::D:P

You and your staff are obvioulsy over stretched with work at the moment.... Bill says 'whatever' can actually be done and with no extra costs (apparently making things even better then they are :shock: ) so WHY don't you 'delegate' the task to him :wink:

I suspect Bill would be happy to try and prove that he is right and that it can easily be done :wink: and as such he would be happy to do it (along with any setup work that it entails) for you free of charge :wink:

And if it doesn't make any difference then what have you lost.... if he's right you win as you'd have an even better site )if that's possible) and if he's wrong you still win as you can can say 'I told you so' :D:wink::lol:

I expect I'll just get :roll::roll: from you eh :P:lol: