observer

Just had alook at the time and at that time i will be on my way to the UK,so i wont get to see it,....

Tuought it would be about Hastings ect. i bet its quite interesting but how do they know what the peasants thought of it all?? A bit like saying that politicians know what the people want...

Steve

Fulford: where the Northern Fyrd was defeated by the Vikings. Stanford Bridge: where the Vikings were defeated in turn by Harold's main Army. Interesting story about Stamford Bridge: the Vikings were relaxing (without armour) on a hot day, awaiting what they believed would be the surrender of the remaining English at York. Then along comes Harold, following a record march from London to surprise them. They were seperated by a small river, with a wooden foot bridge; which was defended by a lone Berserker, in order to give time for the Viking Army to get into formation. The Berserker, with his large axe, was chopping down every Saxon that came at him until; an enterprising Saxon found a small boat and manoevred under the bridge, right beneath the Berserker. Then through a crack in the bridge planking, he thrust upwards into an unprotected part of his anatomy, killing him instantly. :shock: Ouch! :wink:

The limited funds no doubt limited the scope to portray the battle in an adequate scale to be fully informative: my reading of events was that the Berserker who held out at the bridge, allowed the rest of the Army to form up in a "swinfing" (boar head) formation, thus refusing both flanks, much further back on high ground: also I'm not sure the area was as heavily wooded as portrayed. :? There also seemed a distinct absence of Saxon Housecarls; who were the full time professionals, usually armed with the large axe; and placed in the front line, while the fyrd (part-timers) threw javelins etc over their heads into the enemy lines. :? The Housecarls were so regarded as elite warriors, that after Hastings, many sought employment in the elite Byzantine Varangian Guard. :wink:

Seems there was a bit of feminist historical revisionism in Part II; I like to see the evidence for a female fighting in the Saxon shield wall at Hastings?! :roll: Interesting footnote at the end: William the Conqueror took ownership of 50% of English land, gave 25% to the Church, and 25% to his top 198 nobles. :shock: To this day, the descendents of the 198 nobles, still own 20% of the land in the UK. :shock: