Tories under scrutiny over expenses

Mary

The latest tranche of revelations from the Daily Telegraph indicated that senior Tories had engaged in the tactic of "flipping" property designations to claim more allowances.

Among them was shadow schools secretary Michael Gove - one of Mr Cameron's closest allies - who spent ?7,000 over five months on a London property, before buying a house in Surrey and claiming thousand of pounds more on that.

Shadow health secretary Andrew Lansley apparently renovated a Tudor thatched cottage on the taxpayer tab shortly before selling it, and shadow Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan was forced to apologize after admitting she had put through dog food on expenses.

Mr Cameron reacted swiftly by issuing an apology for his party's involvement with Westminster's discredited allowances regime.

But there will be relief at Conservative Central Office that he and the Tories' other two top figures - shadow foreign secretary William Hague and shadow chancellor George Osborne - seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

Mr Cameron said it was going to be "another bad day for parliament and frankly another bad day for the the Conservative Party. We are sorry that this happened and it needs to change," he added.

Meanwhile, a new independent audit unit - costing ?600,000 a year to run - will take over scrutiny of MPs' expenses claims, the Commons authorities said.

The ruling Commons Commission is also due to discuss whether it can rush through the publication of more than a million edited claims receipts.

It is an attempt to stop the Daily Telegraph's "drip drip" release of a leaked - and unedited - version of the claims

Interesting - so they are creating a large and expensive entity to make sure politicians are not skimming money??? What happened to them paying it back and going to jail? Or have I got it all wrong?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is what Gorbals Mick...The Speaker, is reported to have said on the matter of expenses:

MPs' EXPENSES: 'I didn't come into politics not to take what's owed to me' - What the Speaker allegedly told an MP.

From which I take it that Gorbals believes the electorate owes him a debt of gratitude....and his previous job.....sheet metal worker....and shop steward. One hopes when he ceases to be the Speaker that the tradition of a Peerage will not happen in his case.

I have posted a petition on the Downing Street website for a bit of fun... it states:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to drop any mention of the word "Honourable" or "Right Honourable" when refering to a Member of the UK Parliament because they clearly have no idea of the concept of the word "honour" "

Waiting for it to be given approval from the bods at Number 10!! I wonder what the chances of that will be??!! :lol:

Well Gordon has issued an apology on behalf of ALL MPs - well that's alright then Gord - or is it "sorry we've been caught"? :twisted: Mr Speaker is now telling MPs "they've got to change the system" - isn't he the bloke behind attempts to excempt this from the freedom of information Act - and they keep telling us "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" -yuck. :twisted:

The Tories have 'agreed' to pay all theirs back...... any who don't cough up will apparently lose their position. That's a start :D

Wonder if they will just have to pay back this years identified claims or ALL of them though :shock:

This has been going on for decades; and stems from the fact that they were scared to increase their basic pay to a level comparable with their Uni mates in the private sector; so they concocted this expenses/allowances scam, in order to do it by stealth - until now! :wink: Cameron's little manoevre to get his piggies to pay back the more outrageous claims, is merely papering over the cracks. :shock: What needs to happen is: a totally new set of rules and standards, set by an independent panel. :? I would suggest, along the following lines:- 1) They are paid a salary - period: NO allowances or expenses, NO second homes - they can be housed in Halls of Residence in London; and the second homes forfeited to the Treasury. :shock: 2) No second jobs, and NO membership or involvement with professional lobbying groups. :shock: 3) NO Minister to take employment with an outside company for at least 5 years after leaving Parliament. :shock: 4)Office and secretarial staff and equipment, to be provided directly by the State in each Constituancy, and conditioned so that MPs can't employ relatives. :shock: All personal expenses would have to be paid out of their salaries, including Council Tax, Water Rates, TVs etc just like the rest of us. :twisted:

Meanwhile, a new independent audit unit - costing ?600,000 a year to run - will take over scrutiny of MPs' expenses claims, the Commons authorities said.

Interesting - so they are creating a large and expensive entity to make sure politicians are not skimming money??? What happened to them paying it back and going to jail? Or have I got it all wrong?

No need to pay anyone to audit MP's claims.

Just publish them each month. I'm sure the opposition parties in each constituency will be more than happy to go through their opponent's expenses with a fine toothed comb!!!

If MP's know they WILL get caught, they won't fiddle.

(now why does that sentence remind me of a parent saying, "if you act like children, you'll get treated like children!")

Conservative MP Douglas Hogg was interviewed on TV yesterday and said that, because he had to be in London most of the week, he was entitled to claim for the maintenance of his home and gardens in his constituency because he isn't there to do it himself. I am away from my house for 8 months of the year because of my job. Am I entitled to claim for the maintenance of my house and gardens? If so who pays and where do I apply? :?:?:?

Do we know what things our local little piggies at the trough have claimed for? Certainly won't be make up and beauty treatments though!! :lol:

:lol::lol: Bet Gordie claimed for them really... he should have asked for a refund and compensation as they definatley don't work :lol:

I loved Hazel Blears interview yesterday when she pulled out her cheque to the Inland Revenue for 13 grand....

A) that must be the first time anyone in Salford has been able to have that much money on them without being mugged

B) Imagine how much she actually made personally if she has to pay ?13,000.00 in tax!

and finally C) wouldn't it have been so much better if she had brought out one of theose big massive cheques like they have on Children in Need!! :lol:

:lol: Watched the interview, and noticed she never answered a question. :x If these people have "done nothing wrong" and "complied with the rules" - why are they scrabbling to pay these monies back? :? And if they are now having pangs of concience, why didn't they have them prior to making these claims? :? Folk fiddling the tax or benefits system, find themselves facing prison - so why not this shower? :twisted: