BEWSEY OLD HALL PUBLIC INQUIRY. TUES 12 MAY.

Sha

The Public Inquiry for Bewsey Old Hall starts on Tues 12th May.

Anyone who wants to speak at the Inquiry needs to register Tues morning, (I think circa 9:00 - 9:30am, will check on this and update tomorrow)

The Inquiry will be carried out over 2 days, Tues & Wed.

Obviously the more public support the better.

Anybody who does speak should keep it short and to the point and prepare and practice what you are going to say in advance, objectors who are ranters and ravers only damage the cause of the objectors. The applicant's representatives can cross examine as well if they are minded to.

objectors who are ranters and ravers only damage the cause of the objectors.

The words 'red' 'bull' and 'china shop' spring to mind :shock::lol:

As a Councillor I thought you would have had more sense than to say something like that especially as a lot of people 'presume' that things always get passed on appeal as it serves to gets the council out of the tricky position of having to say 'yes' in the first place... the final blame is then passed on to the inspectorate rather than sitting with the council (after all the council did all they could :wink::? )

:wink::P:lol:

Anyway... strangely enough I've been reading some old press cuttings etc today about Bewsey Old Hall the oldest one is from 1903. They were in a box of local history stuff that my dad was about to throw out. Spooky place and I wouldn't live there :shock:

Anyone go today? Here's hoping it finally gets turned into a heritage centre... old blood stains, ghosts and all :shock::D

Actually some health and safety bod might object to that becasue of the risks associated with gouls and gore :lol:

Think it goes on till Wed, then have to wait a few months for the inspectors decision.

Fingers crossed!

Just so sad it got to this, why couldn't EP have developed it as a heritage centre as the local people wanted?

and what WERE the planning officers doing recomending it to be passed in the first place? :shock:

Another fine mess they've got us into! :(

Why does it take a few months for the inspector to make a decision?

Surely he already had all the information from both sides along with any objections etc so the public enquiry was merely a formality

Nothing like dragging things on... and on... and on... but I guess it makes it look better eh :roll:

Before the inspector can make his decision, he has to check out all the evidence and points of law. There must be a lot to work through as these Inquiries go on for a few days.

He is probably a very busy man, as there are an increasing number of appeals these days.

objectors who are ranters and ravers only damage the cause of the objectors.

The words 'red' 'bull' and 'china shop' spring to mind :shock::lol:

Well that is good then if it makes people think about what they are going to say. I have been to a number of hearings etc where the objectors have a really valid case only for it to be ruined by a "ranter and raver" who destroys all the good work put in by other objectors. If in doubt come with a prepared and agreed speech and stick to it. I post as somebody who has been a ranter and raver....and gone off on one before now.....and regretted it :wink:

PS Always make sure you know what the valid grounds for an objection are....and stick to them with substantive and factual evidence, sometimes it is even better to stick to just one point well made rather than a scatter gun approach. The odd pause after a key point has been made always gets people to think about what you have just said. And then maybe just give a quick recap/summary at the end.

Thanks for the advice Paul..... although a little late as hasn't it finished now :wink::lol:

Good job I didn't go after all then as they probably would have passed it :shock:

I can't imagine for one minute that you would ever lose control and rave though :P:lol:

The Inquiry was adjourned as the layout for the enabling development (the 48 flats) didn't fit within the boundaries of the land under the guardianship of EP (now Homes and Communities Agency).

A new site survey will be required.

Whatever, the Inquiry will have to be continued at a later date.

Things do seem rather quiet for such a big local issue. :shock:

The details of the inquiry, date/venue etc would have been advertised in Public Notices some weeks prior to the event, but the lack of any publicity in the local news immediately before the event would mean that most of the public will still be unaware that an Inquiry has even taken place. :shock:

Don't think the council / planning dept will be will be drawing the publics attention to this issue, as people may ask how come the 'technical errors' weren't picked up before it even got to the planning committee! :shock::wink:

What's to stop an agreement being made to move the boundary. Who owns the bit they want to build on then... is it council owned or private :?

So if that obstacle is somehow removed does that mean that the application gets passed by the inspector ?

What about public opinion and local heritage value .....

Ooooh I said those horrible words again :oops:

As for your comment re: the council / planning dept not wanting to draw the publics attention to this issue, because of their 'technical errors'

I can't see them doing that as surely they need even more local support than before (either joe public or press) to back their original decision to refuse it in the first place and to get the appeal refused :roll::wink:

Surely that is what they want....... isn't it :?:shock:

Dismayed,

]The land that this development encroaches upon is owned by the Woodland Trust. This is a very reputable registered charity, committed to the protection of woodland

If you remember, the councils planning officers had recommended that these plans be passed, it was the planning committee who rejected the application.

The fact that the committee had gone against the advice of their own planning officers obviously gave Urban Splash a case for Inquiry.

One would really have expected the planning officers to have noticed that the planned development didn't fit the site, before they recommended it for approval. This oversight being revealed at a Public Inquiry must be extremely embarrassing! :oops::oops::oops:

Public opinion hasn't seemed to have prevented the loss of most of our heritage to date.

However, due to quite recent changes it now can carry a lot more weight, but the public can't express opinion if they don't know what's going on can they? :cry:

One would really have expected the planning officers to have noticed that the planned development didn't fit the site, before they recommended it for approval. This oversight being revealed at a Public Inquiry must be extremely embarrassing! :oops::oops::oops:

Strange as it may seem, I don't think they have to. I think the applicant makes a declaration as to the land they are proposing to build on, so from what I can tell they made an inaccurate declaration....and on those grounds the application should be thrown out and the process started again from scratch.

As I'm not too au fait with Bewsey Old Hall, if this or a similar proposal doesn't get accepted, won't the hall just fall down eventually given there is no funding to restore it. :?

I have to say Paul that is a pretty blase statement. There is no funding available because you lot on the council will not find funding for it. You can however find funding for a wide range of things which most members of the taxpaying public would disagree spending the money on.

The Hall can be restored over a period of years if needs be, get local business involved in providing not just cash but resources and manpower. Restore the building for the people of the town but maybe allow some of the main business contributors to use it FOC a couple of times a year as a conference venue; stick a boardroom type room in it or alongside it to provide some facilities for locals and visitors alike to come and make use of the place. In recent years, the council has spent millions on renovating the Town Hall which in comparisson is a bit of a non building compared to the Old Hall.

It can be a multi use building for the people of the town; not just a pile of yuppie flats next to a council estate....

Have some vision and make it useful for all the people, not just the property owning 50 or so people that will be the way if Urban Stash get their plans accepted

just been reading the news on the front page about this.

why has it taken three days to find out this problem.

how much is the "bit more space" bigger than six inches? less than half a mile? :?

Guess we will find out when a 'compromise' is made between the two latest land owners ie English Partnerships? and the Woodland Trust :roll:

When did our Council sell Bewsey Old Hall and it's land and WHY were they just allowed to sell it anyway :evil::evil:

In recent years, the council has spent millions on renovating the Town Hall which in comparison is a bit of a non building compared to the Old Hall.

Far be it from me to start another argument over listed buildings, but the hall is listed II* and the Town Hall grade 1. Obviously the Town Hall costs a lot to maintain - should the Council sell it to fund the repair of Bewsey Old Hall?

I wouldn't dream of arguing with you vic!! I am not saying that at all; but the works that were done in the Town Hall, although probably needed, were probably way over the top and mostly designed to facilitate its use as office space for the Chief Executive and associated departments rather than anything else. Not many people have the pivilage of walking around the Town Hall and down into the basements and in the lofts!!

The Hall should have money spent on it by the council and local people/businesses to facilitate its use for the whole community and not just a lucky few