Global Warming or Not

Lt Kije

You may be right - but on the other hand you may not. I really don't know how you and quite a few others on the forum, can be so confident.

I hold no particular brief for Al Gore but I suspect he is in a position and has access to information which makes him far more likely to be right than anyone on the WWW forum.

You have only to stand on Warrington Bridge and see the traffic which crosses it every minute of the day and then think back to the days when most of the vehicles were bicycles (which I can do!) to realise how much pollution is being pumped into the atmosphere now compared to then. Add to that the increase in flying. OK, we have had the clean air act, but it achieved very little compared to the muck we pump out today.

Now I admit I don't know whether all this makes any difference to climate change, but when I see so many people more qualified than I to judge, saying that it does, I am inclined to believe them. Why, I don't know, unless it be because of an excess of caution on my part. But I think it is a more reasonable view than those of you who, despite being no more qualified than I, arrogantly condemn the experts as "scaremongers" etc, accuse people of having political motives, etc., when as far as I can see all they are really worried about is having to restrict their lifestyles a little. I don't want to give up my luxuries either, but if it might make a difference, I am prepared to do so.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right - but on the other hand you may not. I really don't know how you and quite a few others on the forum, can be so confident.

You may be right - but on the other hand you may not. I really don't know how you and quite a few others on the forum, can be so paranoid.

Egbert, the first quote is yours the second has had the final word changed.

BTW, I remember when the world was as black as soot from mines and factory chimneys, surely you can see some improvement?

Egbert, before the Clean Air Act people were being killed annually by killer smogs that lasted for days. This doesn't happen today so where is all your pollution? As for Al Gore, he is chief Snake Oil salesman who seized the opportunity to make himself very rich. Climate has indeed been changing throughout the lifetime of every person alive today, indeed its been changing throughout the lifetime of the planet and will continue to change when we're all dead and gone. There's no point wasting time and money trying to change nature. :?:?:?:wink:

I mean, if someone decides to give up their car, live in a cave, eat lentils, etc, they effect no-one but themselves

The problem is that the people who are shouting loudest about "fighting climate change" don't want to give up anything themselves, they just want everyone else to pay up, shut up and go and live in unlit, unheated caves eating berries. :roll::roll:

Not just that asperity, but as we've just seen on the news, those very same anti-establishment types, were only too happy to smash their way into the RBS building in London, so that they could nick their computers/ Not I'm sure to subsequently decommission, but no doubt to end up in use in their home.

I also had to laugh at another quite articulate girl interviewed at lunchtime on radio 5 - "it's time for the world to stop listening to politicians, stop listening to the TV, stop listeinign to the press, and realise we need to do something about climate change"

Now, stop me here for a minute, but aren't all those targets actually the very ones beating the climate change drum as loudly as anyone? Wasn't that just proof, that rather than climate change per se, the "climate change" campaign is just the latest anarchy cause, and some campaigners are struggling to come to terms with the fact that very quickly and almost uniquely, politicians and media have actually sided with them, and now they are a little lost as to who they should be railing against?

Fatshaft, you've hit the nail on the head. The Put People First coalition which has organised these "protests" is a mixture of "charities" (mainly funded by government), public sector unions and "environmentalists". It is demanding more public spending, higher taxes, more public debt, more regulation and more "renewable energy" (windmills to you and me). I can't see the government cracking down on this lot seeing as how they see eye to eye on everything. The unfortunate outcome of this is the true working people of this country are going to end up paying through the nose for this madness. :cry::cry::cry:

Please don't associate me with the rabble demonstrating in London.

They have simply jumped on the climate change bandwagon. They have been present at all the other summits and their target is people who have made a success of their lives.

They are a bunch of losers - the great unwashed by the look of them!

I hope the police give them a few sore heads!

I hope to watch the Al Gore film out of curiosity if nothing else.

I do not discount his views just because he's got more money than me.

As to the Thames freezing - yes I know how long ago it was. It happened because we were NOT have global warming at that time.

I made the point in response to someone who thought we could not be having global warming at present because the relatively mild winter we have just had was a little bit colder than the previous two or three.

If we are having global warming there will be peaks and troughs within a general trend of warming. That is why it is much better to use the term climate change.

If the history of this planet were represented by a 24hr time period, human beings have only existed for around the last two minutes. :shock: During that 24 hour period, there have been at least two or three "mass extinctions", due to the greenhouse effect of volcanic emmissions or a nuclear winter caused by an asteroid hitting the earth :shock: The earth repaired itself, and surviving life forms moved on and evolved. :? IF, our presence and our activities have any effect, it will merely be to cause OUR own extinction, not that of planet earth. :? The elephant in the room is "over-population", causing over-consumption of finite resources, so for those concerned about a "future" for mankind, they need to address that, rather than life-style trivia, before nature addresses the problem for us. :shock:

good points Obs, but then that brings into question whether or not you carry on developing life saving drugs and proceedures to keep us all alive for longer.

In days gone by, with few exceptions, most people in Britain were lucky to hit 75. 75 now is the minimum most can expect to reach and that is being extended all the time with earlier and earlier testing for the likes of prostrate cancer which means more older men are living longer

It is a big vicious circle and there is no easy answers :D

It's principally the number of "new mouths" being brought into a world of finite resources that is the problem. :? Many areas of the world will soon become arid deserts, which will intensify resource wars over water etc and stimulate even more migration. :shock: Even our own water utilities, are warning of lowering river levels in 50 years or so, and consequent water shortages (well they would wouldn't they - anything to up the price!), while this Government happily fiddle while anyone who can hide on a lorry increases our population to over 70million in the same time frame. :twisted:

Here is a bit of a plus:

"Trees are growing faster and could buy time to halt global warming

Plants and trees are growing faster because of rising carbon dioxide levels, potentially buying Earth more time to address global warming, according to scientists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/5109251/Trees-are-growing-faster-and-could-buy-time-to-halt-global-warming.html

More nonsense I'm afraid Dizzy. Hayfever is triggered by pollen and other impurities in the air we breathe. Plants do not get confused, they are plants. Animals get confused and, apparently, the animals that get confused the most are human. :D:D:D

Surely if plants, trees or grasses are starting to sprout and therefore come into season earlier than usual (which I class as confusion) then so is their pollen... and therefore the people who are allergic to 'whichever' pollen affects them will get the symptoms earlier than usual.

If you are on a ship in the middle of the sea then you won't be affected :P:lol:

Look out of the window Dizzy. Has spring come early this year in your opinion? It seems to me to have come later this year than in recent years, and as plants start their growth according to the temperature (rather than what the BBC tells them) I can't see why they would be producing pollen early!! I think people are being led by what they are being told rather than by what their own eyes are telling them! 8)8)