Global Warming or Not

Lt Kije

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but you'll be on your ship, sailing past Rochdale's new major sea port.

I've said this before but you obviously weren't listening Geoff. Sea levels have been rising for centuries (since the end of the last ice age) at an average rate of 3mm per year (that's 30 cm/ 1 foot per century for the mathematically challenged), although research in the last few years shows the rate to be slowing slightly. Sea levels are certainly not rising at an unprecedented rate. At 3mm per year it will be a very long time before Rochdale becomes a seaside resort, and I'll be long gone. However don't let facts get in the way of your delusions if thats what you want. :wink::wink:

Pete from Warrington stars in a film about Global warming, so at least one Warringtonian is on board :wink:

The Times review of the film

The terrifying documentary about climate change. The Age of Stupid is the most imaginative and dramatic assault on the institutional complacency shrouding the issue. Pete Postlethwaite is our guide to the near future.

The year is 2055. Most of London is under water. Sydney is in flames. Las Vegas is being gently swallowed by the desert. The Archivist (Postlethwaite) lives alone in a concrete tower in the middle of the oily ocean somewhere around Norway with a museum collection of stuffed animals and priceless works of art. He sits in front of a transparent space-age screen and rifles through genuine newsreel clips, wondering why we failed to fight the 2degrees of global warming that pushed the planet beyond the critical point in 2015.

The power of this shameless campaigning film is that it gives dates and deadlines. It explores options and ideas. It names culprits, such as the businessman with dreams of providing dirt-cheap air travel to every man, woman, and child in India. It is witheringly sharp about the great and the good in rural England who would rather shoot their neighbours than allow them to erect a wind turbine.

The conclusion is probably spot-on: we are inches away from being the first species on the planet to knowingly kill itself off.

James Christopher

The Times 19/3/09

It may be a lot sooner than your predicted death.

The two biggest polluters are the USA and China; this puts into perspective the puny efforts of manking are even more puny when we talk about the UK contribution. :roll: IF, the situation is so dire; any responsible Governments would basically close down all injurious activity, rather than securing tax revenue from it. :roll::wink:

I would agree with you Obs except that on a per capita basis Europe is a worse polluter than the US, and actually I believe the Indian subcontinent comes second to China again per capita. Again statistics and damn lies. The US has set off on a suicidal course of killing its industrial base and declaring CO2 a dangerous pollutant. The EU, true to form, talks big and does nothing. Or should I say nothing that is likely to be at all useful to anybody. 8)8)8)

I think Observer was saying he couldn?t care less who?s the biggest polluter not that he doesn?t give a crap as you put it. (Could be wrong though) :lol:

In any case, Observers two-line post just about says it all so I won?t try to embellish it.

Bill :)

It's high time that people DID think!!!! There is no eveidence of global warming other than the warming that has been taking place since the last ice age so the warmists have changed the title to "climate change". Unfortunately for them it is obvious that change is what climate does. Because the expected (for the warmists) accelerated warming hasn't taken place they have started a campaign of misinformation with claims of disappearing polar ice, polar bear extinction, disappearing glaciers, unprecedented tropical storms, record sea level rises, ocean acidification, droughts and floods. They even tried to blame the Indian Ocean tsunami on man made global warming!! :roll::roll:

If you bothered to read anything other than George (we're doomed) Mombiot in the Grauniad, you would notice that more and more real climate scientists are saying that there is no disasterous man made climate change occuring. And there is certainly no need for the anti carbon dioxide measures being planned at huge expense. :roll:

Anyone remember the Ozone hole? Well just in case anyone doesn?t, twenty years ago we were all going to go blind or die from skin cancer as a hole the size of the USA was discovered over the Antarctic. Massif changes were introduced banning fluorocarbon products that were seen as the primary cause of this hole and anyone found using an aerosol would stand accused of crimes against humanity. Twenty years on and its only fair to ask if the hole got smaller as a result of this ban?

Well, the scientist say it?s pretty hard to say, because the weather and in particular temperatures, seems to have quite a dramatic effect on the size of the hole making accurate measurements near impossible. They?re hopeful that given another forty years or so and they may see some reductions which leads me to believe that there?s an awful lot of guesswork going on here. The problem is with these newly discovered phenomena, there just aren?t any concrete historical figures to make direct comparisons against, just like the argument for global warming,

Now here?s the real killer. Is there actually an Ozone hole?

Answer NO there isn?t, otherwise all the polar bears would be dead by now. :roll:

Bill :)

Actually Bill there is a hole in the ozone layer in the southern hemisphere. Unfortunately for the greens, who put the blame on human activity for this hole, research since it was discovered has concluded that it is a wholly natural occurence. It is caused by climatic conditions unique to the southern hemisphere. Ozone is created AND destroyed by ultraviolet radiation, and the layer is so thin that the idea that this layer is protecting us from ultraviolet is plainly wrong. The hole varies in size depending on the seasons. The fact that the hole is in the southern hemisphere, which has the smaller area of landmass and the smaller population, and not in the northern hemisphere with the larger landmass and population should be a clue!! In any case the polar bears are safe because they live in the northern hemisphere. Thats why polar bears don't eat penguins (apart from the fact that they can't get the wrapper off :lol::lol: ) I saw an article about this but can't lay my hands on it, but if I do I'll post a link. :wink: