MPs warn against US attack on Iran

Mary

A military strike against Iran is unlikely to succeed and could provoke a violent backlash across the region, MPs have warned.

The Commons foreign affairs committee urged the Government to use its influence with Washington to persuade the US administration to "engage" diplomatically with the Iranians over their controversial nuclear programme.

In its report, the committee acknowledged that Tehran had suspended work on developing a nuclear weapon in 2003, making American military action less likely.

"We remain of the view that such a military strike would be unlikely to succeed and could provoke an extremely violent backlash across the region," it said.

Does anyone remember that I predicted that Bush would do this before he left office!! He is insane!

I don't know much about politics Mary, but I was disturbed to hear that if there is a Military strike against Iran, and there is a backlash, then the US states would become military states and that would mean no new election, Bush would continue to be president indefinately. Can this really happen?

That cannot happen - not sure where you heard that but my point is that in 2003 Iran offered to help us with Iraq and our government snubbed them. They have done nothing wrong and are now, yet again, another country with oil that Bush will cause havoc in. When will the American people wake up?