CAR CLAMPING IN CULCHETH

nparker

Just been listening to Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine Show. One of the topics for today's show was car clamping. Unfortunately I missed the deadline to contact the show or I would have been on the radio telling the nation about the car clamping in Culcheth.

Culcheth is a great place to shop - horrible place to park your car. I am treating this post as my good deed for the day. Come to Culcheth by all means but be very careful where you park. If you park on the little car park on Lodge Drive and use the shops there you won't be clamped. But if you dare cross to the other side of Common Lane you risk being clamped and having a hefty fine.

BE WARNED - If you try to use the cash machine at Barclays Bank and the machine is empty, DO NOT walk cross Common Lane to get to Sainsbury's or Natwest Bank. Do not park in the little car park and then walk to Waterfields bakery. YOU WILL BE CLAMPED. So move your car.

The clamper sits in a white van with yellow markings in the car park, sometimes it's a people carrier with similar markings, waiting for his next victim. He puts the clamp on then drives away.

Is he SIA Registered...if not:

Offences

As the landowner you are responsible for ensuring that only legitimately licensed personnel operate on your land. It is an offence, for which you can be arrested, if unlicensed operators are found to be working on your property. In the event of prosecution the maximum penalty that the courts can impose is five years imprisonment or a fine, or both.

Who needs a Licence

Personnel can only be involved in certain activities relating to clamping if they are licensed to do so by the SIA (Security Industry Authority). These functions are:

? Any person attaching a wheel clamp to immobilise a vehicle.

? Any person attaching any other apparatus or gadget designed to immobilise a vehicle.

? Towing away a vehicle with any other apparatus.

? Blocking in a vehicle by any means.

? A director, manager, supervisor and/or operative who provides vehicle immobilisation, blocking in or towing away services.

? Undertaking or instructing employees to vehicle immobilise, block in or tow away from private land. This includes private land owners who do their own immobilising, blocking in or towing away on their own land.

? A volunteer who helps a vehicle immobiliser attach a wheel clamp.

You can verify whether or not a person is licensed by using the SIA website on www.the-sia.org.uk or phone the SIA on 08702 430100

Only lazy people get clamped.

You could either pay 50p for your paper from the Newsagents on Lodge Drive then shop anywhere you want OR park on Sainsburys for four hours and walk to the rest of Culcheth.

According to the clamper you can have ten minutes to go elsewhere (except Waterfields) if you have to wait for a prescription at the chemist. It's not advisable to think all you have to do is buy a newspaper then you can go anywhere while your car is parked in this car park.

one suggestion is if you spot the clamper's car then block him in. that way if he clamps you he cannot get out :twisted:

suggestion two buy your own clamp and clamp the clamper as he must be illegally parked. then charge him twice what he would charge you to remove it. :twisted:

on a slightly different note read the article yesterday about the yellow lines in lymm. was interested in the bit that said that a local magistrate stopped a warden from giving him a ticket by pointing out the discrepancies in the line markings. now i wonder had he been an ordinary member of the public would he have been let off. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

That was baffling.

According to the above posts you can park in one of the small car parks, but not in one of the others. But in some circumstances you're ok if you buy a newspaper.

It sounds like they need to get the car parking sorted out in Culcheth. In normal places you have car parks that are either free or chargeable. We also have a nationally agreed set of no parking signs that can be used.

one suggestion is if you spot the clamper's car then block him in. that way if he clamps you he cannot get out :twisted:

suggestion two buy your own clamp and clamp the clamper as he must be illegally parked. then charge him twice what he would charge you to remove it. :twisted:

on a slightly different note read the article yesterday about the yellow lines in lymm. was interested in the bit that said that a local magistrate stopped a warden from giving him a ticket by pointing out the discrepancies in the line markings. now i wonder had he been an ordinary member of the public would he have been let off. :wink:

Yep, he would. I've done it myself.

Very few of the yellow lines in Lymm are legally enforcable - due, largely, to a combination of lack of maintenance, failure to correctly renew Traffic Regulation Orders, and shoddy implementation in the first place.