Chewing gum

Lucy

I was picking my way through the chewing gum stains in Bridge Street the other day, wondering why on earth I had to be there when there are so many much more pleasant places in the world, when, as I reached The Skittles, the evidence of chewing gum suddenly vanished.

Continuing into Horsemarket Street, I noted that it was still missing.

This left me to ponder the following:

1 Does the fancy paving around The Skittles resist chewing gum?

2 Perhaps chewing gum doesn't show up on this paving?

3 Do we get a lower class of pedestrian in Bridge Street who spits his or her gum out on the floor?

4 Do pedestrians adopt higher standards of behaviour once they leave Bridge Street.

If 1 or 2 apply, might I suggest that the same paving is laid throughout the town centre. The revolting sight of chewing gum stains on the pavement is one of the things that keeps me out of the town centre on all but absolutely essential occasions and I am sure there are many others who feel the same.

Does anyone know the explanation?

And there's me thinking that it was the way that people dressed.

Maybe something to do with the fact that council employees traverse between New Town House and the Town Hall and they don't want the stuff sticking to their shoes.

Tilly might have an insight into this as if I remember correctly, she had a bit of a crusade on the subject a few years ago.

I think that every once in a while it does get cleaned up, but would imagine it is an expensive operation.

Don't they have chewing gum in Lymm? :shock::?

Bit disappointed in your responses to a serious problem.

Sorry Observer has pulled up his drawbridge - its a bit akin to burying one's head in the sand isn't it?

Yes, there are chewing gum stains on the pavements of Lymm. Most around the takeaway shop. which I suppose suggests people get rid of their gum before eating their chips.

But the point I was making is that the gum stains disappear on the special paving around the skittles and in Horsemarket Street.

It may be that the council clean these areas more regularly - in which case, shame on them. Doesn't Bridge Street deserve the same attention?

But it just may be that the gum does not stick on this type of paving.

No doubt it is more expensive but if that is what it costs to get rid of an eyesore, then so be it.

I must say that the appeal of chewing gum has always been a mystery to me. It makes one look at best vacant and at worst, uncouth, is bad for the digestive system and claims that it is good for the teeth and gums are almost certainly exaggerated. I tried it as a child, couldn't see anything in it then and have never tried it since.

However, plenty of my contemporaries DID chew gum and I don't remember the stains on the footpath then.

is bad for the digestive system and claims that it is good for the teeth and gums are almost certainly exaggerated.

I thought chewing gum after a meal helped with digestion. :?:?

And chewing gum produces saliva which according to dentists

The flow of saliva helps to wash away food debris.

It is alkaline, and so it helps to neutralise mouth acids and reduce decay.

It helps to protect the teeth from erosion caused by acids in the diet.

The saliva dilutes the strength of the acid.

Saliva slows or inhibits plaque growth and calculus formation.

This reduces the risk of gum disease.

The calcium content of saliva can help to reverse the early stages of decay.

Chewing gum after a meal MIGHT just help.

But chewing gum before a meal (or more importantly at any time when not eating a meal) is bad for the digestion.

Saliva does, in fact, help wash away food debris. But if it does down without food debris it is bad for the digestion. That is what I have been told by my dentist.

But in any case, surely the deplorable state of streets littered in chewing gum is a bigger problem than the dental health or digestive systems of either you lot or me!

But no. You would sooner dismiss my comments as "a rant" than join me in condeming the state of our streets. I remember you were just the same when I was talking some time ago about litter generally.

What a bunch of plebs!

But in any case, surely the deplorable state of streets littered in chewing gum is a bigger problem than the dental health or digestive systems of either you lot or me!

It is a problem. but don't forget that it was you who brought up the bit about dental health and digestion. :roll::roll:

Personally I think it's the chewing gum stuck to used condoms that is the biggest problem :wink:

So Eagle thinks people who object to chewing gum on the floor are stuck up? What does he think about the people who deposit it - perhaps he would like to recommend them for the Honours List or give them a pound out of the poor box.

He really does seem to have a complex about people from Lymm.

Time someone knocked him off his perch (pun intended)!

I have no complex about people in Lymm, I have a complex about inhabitors of lofty towers who look down on us lesser mortals that don't deserve to share the same air as pompous prats.

If you hadn't told us you came from Lymm, we wouldn't have known. That in itself was a clue to your intentions with regards to this Forum and its members, nothing since has changed my original picture of a sad curtain twitcher who is jealous of people who have a life.

So people who drop chewing gum in the street have lives, have they?

You prefer them to people who live in "lofty towers"?

I only revealed that I came from Lymm in the same way as you revealed you came from Glazebury. If that signifies that I am "stuck up" what does your address reveal about you?

Certainly not that you are the unpleasant bird you appear to be.

The good people of Glazebury deserve a better neighbour.

I was picking my way through the chewing gum stains in Bridge Street the other day, wondering why on earth I had to be there when there are so many much more pleasant places in the world, when, as I reached The Skittles, the evidence of chewing gum suddenly vanished.

Continuing into Horsemarket Street, I noted that it was still missing.

This left me to ponder the following:

1 Does the fancy paving around The Skittles resist chewing gum?

2 Perhaps chewing gum doesn't show up on this paving?

3 Do we get a lower class of pedestrian in Bridge Street who spits his or her gum out on the floor?

4 Do pedestrians adopt higher standards of behaviour once they leave Bridge Street.

If 1 or 2 apply, might I suggest that the same paving is laid throughout the town centre. The revolting sight of chewing gum stains on the pavement is one of the things that keeps me out of the town centre on all but absolutely essential occasions and I am sure there are many others who feel the same.

Does anyone know the explanation?

Lucy, hello, how are you? Well I hope. Great post as ever :)

Warrington town centre is an eye sore and Bridge street is the worst and like you and probably for similar reasons I only go where I really need to when I really need to other wise I give Warrington a wide birth, you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear and just because we've got a so called fancy shopping centre has not made Warrington a better place to be or shop, heavens, the new Golden Squares floors aren't even level, I know people who are disabled who now avoid shopping there because they can't get round it with out feeling unsafe and wobbly, I know what they mean, I feel a bit sea sick too especially if its wet out side, its slopes and slippy at the same time is a recipe for disaster, who on earth designed it to be like that???

Back to Bridge Street, it's like some strange place that time forgot, except we know some life forms been there recently because of all the gum and chip papers - yuk!

I'll sit here now and awaitng beign bombarded with posts arguing and disagreeing with me, hurry up, am waiting.........

And while I'm at it who on earth designed the Bus Station????? :shock: Though I can't deny its 1000% better than the last one it is a nightmare, hmmmm, might start new topic, we'll see how this goes first.... :roll:

You've forgot the pavement pizzas and the river of life! :wink:

Erm, Ok, although I daren't ask what the River of life is, not what I think it is, is it? Those who chose to disperse certain fluids where ever the need takes them, gross :shock:

It is sooo awful, all approaches to Warrington are grim, Bridge foot although nice so say fancy brindge :roll: history etc, but cover it with a load of traffic lights and cars and you kid of loose your love for a bridge in all that and then there's the lovely old GPO green 70's building to look at as you queue for a traffic light change, Winwick Road is like a motor way, Central Station on Winwick Street is grim and Bank Quay, the hassle and time its took to so say "re vamp" the station forcourt ( just pout a few steps in and new desk, heavens, it's daft, there's loads of wasted space and once you leave that supposidly nice new bit the station it's self its still dirty and gritty and grim , and anyway as soon as you pull up to Warrington of the train you met with the delights of Unilever and at swear on some days the smell of soap is soo strong that if it was raining all you'd need to do is peg your washing out and it would get washed!

You've forgot the pavement pizzas and the river of life! :wink:

Erm, Ok, although I daren't ask what the River of life is, not what I think it is, is it?

Can't believe that someone from Warrington who tries to give the impression that they are an educated person does not know what the River of life is :?:?:?:roll: