Taxes

Tilly

There are some +'s for working for the Council but they're getting less and less and I dont work for the same Council as I used to and any security incentives one might have considered being a reason for working in local government are dwindling.

If something better came along for me I'd be off now, I don't feel much if any loyalty any more. I used to feel safe and actually proud to work for the Council, maybe I'm older and wiser or maybe the higher up you go the more you're aware of but it's not the same, the atmosphere is not good :(

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years they kept coming up with voluntary redundancies, and the most experienced people were the ones to leave.

So I take it that the people who are now left working for the council are all dead legs. :?:?:?

In any situation of redundancy the people who volunteer will always be those who are more confident of finding another job, obvious and bleedin come to mind.

Erm..... please don't use the term "dead legs", I said dead wood and its everywhere.

I was responding to Peter who used the term 'dead legs' twice in response to your comment, so if you are unhappy at the use of then term then tell him off. :roll:

Over the years they kept coming up with voluntary redundancies, and the most experienced people were the ones to leave.

So I take it that the people who are now left working for the council are all dead legs. :?:?:?

In any situation of redundancy the people who volunteer will always be those who are more confident of finding another job, obvious and bleedin come to mind.

I didn't work for the council and wasn't referring to council employees in my comment!!!

Erm..... please don't use the term "dead legs", I said dead wood and its everywhere.

What is WRONG with the expression "Dead Legs"?

Some of the people I worked with were dead legs. they were just bone idle!!

:roll:

I didn't work for the council and wasn't referring to council employees in my comment!!!

So

That's spot on Tilly.

The good guys always take the opportunity to leave and the dead -legs stay and milk the system.

had nothing to do with Tilly's comment on halving council workers ? :?:?:? Oh and make that three times about dead legs. :roll:

If something better came along for me I'd be off (

Given the current economic climate, I think you will be in for a long wait.

The very big plus with working within the public service sector is the pension scheme...not to mention the longer holidays....and regular pay rises. I do accept that the benefits listed are sometimes no substitute for the intrinsic value of a job, the enjoyment of doing it, together with social interaction with colleagues.

Erm, dead wood as in hangers on, those who don't pull their weight, let others carry them, they are often "jobs worths" too, they are not open to change and in fact in my experience obstruct it, they know the best way to do everything, they're everywhere, not just the Council but historically the Local Council has been somewhere where you "had a job for life" erm, I would never presume this but there are those who still do and due to X,Y Z and unions etc it is very hard to get rid of someone who isn't doing their job properly or who doesn't pull their weight or contribute in a positive way, it causes soo many problems, and that is a wonderful example of wasting money, do you know I know people who's only reason for staying where they are is thier pension, fair enough I hear you say but it is often these peopl who aren't pulling their weight and are costing us a fortune :roll:

Peter T, dint mean single you out :wink:

If something better came along for me I'd be off (

Given the current economic climate, I think you will be in for a long wait.

The very big plus with working within the public service sector is the pension scheme...not to mention the longer holidays....and regular pay rises. I do accept that the benefits listed are sometimes no substitute for the intrinsic value of a job, the enjoyment of doing it, together with social interaction with colleagues.

Hi Paul, yes you're right and I am aware and appreciate the plus side of working for my current employer but will move on when the right time and job etc comes along, as you say, the benifits are no substitute when you dont look forward to work or feel comfortable with who you work for or with. I'm only 37, and life is too short, I could be working another 30 years ( hope not) and dont want that to be with an employer just because I've paid into a pension scheme with them.................... finding the right balance is my main aim and feeling secure which I dont currently.