Sign in to follow this  
asperity

Random Breath Tests

The Government is to introduce random breath testing "within weeks". Ministers are said to be "convinced that this is the way forward in catching drink drivers". They were'nt convinced enough to include the measure in last year's Road Safety Bill, as their advisers had told them that it was ineffective. The real reason for its introduction is that they have been ordered to do it by their masters in Brussels. :wink::wink:

I agree but am aware this may be very un popular. There are a lots of people who are over the limit in a morning after a heavy night before and soooooo many people think they're OK, they can handle thier drink or they are above the law or don't beleive or understand how the body processes alcohol and how long it takes or how many units are in each drink. WELL DONE and about time even if it is a deterrent!!!!

I am a pedestrian too but it wouldn't bother me if I was a driver.

Tilly,

I don't think officialdom are aware that people are still under the influence in the morning. Especially shift workers going in for 6 am.

They wouldn't have enough bags to blow into.

They introduced this in the Republic of Ireland a couple of years ago, and the Garda target people on their way to work in the morning because they know that's when they'll catch the most offenders. More revenue for the coffers. :wink::wink:

We have had them here for years - I think it was MADD ( Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) that pursued it and got states to realize if people think there is a chance they will get caught, then they find a better way to get around like a designated driver or a taxi!

Sorry guys, but I am all for it.

Seems a good idea to me, there must be a load of people who get bladdered and home in the early hours grab a few hours kip.

They then hit the road till over the limit with not a care in the world until it's too late.

Personally I think this is a very good idea you may see it as a revenue scheme I see it as taking idiots off the road who think they can have a skin full and go drive after a couple of hours kip so the sooner they implement this the better.

John

Im not against the principle behind it on one hand I support anything that saves peoples lives because some wreckless idiot thinks themselves in control depite the purpose of drinking to loose some control, however when I get in my car, I'm usualy trying to get there as efficiently as I can, I shouldn't have to allow for an extra 15-20 minute intrusion into my life schedule with no just cause for stopping me.

its easy enough to spot a drink driver, I see them all the time, weaving around, usualy driving too slow for the conditions.

but now that Im on the subject is this already in force in scotland ?, its just reminded me of the one time I was breathalised, I was flagged down by a polceman parked at the road I was traveling up, so now that I think about it he could not have had any course to stop me.

A good idea and they have my full backing.

They catch a few drunk drivers here the day after a Holiday break, like Rosemontag or Weiberfastnacht both being on a weekday and on those days the Germans go and get very very drunk and they drive to work the next day,not a good idea..

Steve

Maybe the way forward for the future is for cars to be fitted with some device that prevents them from being started without a suitable,negative breathe sample being provided.

Excellent idea...although it would be possible for a drunk driver to get a non drunk person to activate the system, unless it was a very elaborate system based on some form of continuous driver monitoring.

A device like this was invented a few years ago - then sank without trace. back to the drawing board boys and girls. :roll::roll:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Excellent idea...although it would be possible for a drunk driver to get a non drunk person to activate the system, unless it was a very elaborate system based on some form of continuous driver monitoring.

That was the criticism of the system that failed, but IMO anyone who sat in a passenger seat or was asked to activate the system for another would not be that forthcoming...would you ?

while in theory its an easy way round, I dont think it would work in practice.