Orford Park

Agamemnon1

I paid a visit to Orford Park last Wednesday.

What change !!

No crazy golf , no community buildings , the pond full of rubbish,

kids throwing stones at the ducks and swans :cry: When i pointed out to the kids the error of their ways i was subjected to a barrage of abuse the likes of which i hadnt heared since i quit working in an abbatoir !!still the same old antiquated changing rooms for the footballers.

and amid it all , the sad sight of the rangers loading up their van in preperation for the move away :cry: The place already has a neglected air about it. Whats going on at the Town Hall when facilities such has Orford Park are neglected and allowed to fall into disrepair ?

These facities should have investment in them ! not have it took away ! Whats the point of putting new developement on Orford Park when the most important part ( the peoples part ) is being allowed to wither and probably die ?

It's happening all over Warrington. A town that we should be improving is becoming a dump. Is it any wonder that people have no faith in their politicians? Labour were more interested in image, (we want to become a city) and the "alliance" don't seem to know what they want, other than get rid of all the good things about the place.

The Tories are unlikely to make any political gains at the next elections as they seem to be going along with Lib-Dem decisions.

It's ok having fancy ideas such as the water front features, but not a lot of point, when we can't keep the good things that we already have.

I suppose the motto will be, "We kept the rates down, but lost all the facilities".

The bottom line being, we have people making decisions who don't have a clue about Warrington, and in a lot of cases, don't even live here.

Perhaps there should be a sign over the town hall gates, saying "What can we destroy today?" :twisted::evil::twisted::evil:

Does anyone remember that golden age when kids were so well behaved that you didn't even know they existed, if you were really lucky you'd spot one dragging a lump of Hovis to his mams after getting an early finish at'mill. In them days politicians and councillors didn't even know what self service meant, big named houses were just a jolly coincidence, all were happy with their lot. What's changed, apart from various forums on which to voice a personal opinion........nowt.

This is how its always been.

This is how it will always be.

Ey bye gum lad problem maybe there arn't enough t'lls in't Warrington cept Red Lane int Stocky Heath. :wink: If they all had to march up unt down they'd soon get waorn out and fit as a butchers dog.

Maybe then the'd realise how lucky there are to have parks even if there arn't any Park Rangers to look after the environment and generate activities for the kids.

After pointing out the error of their ways i did manage to chat to a group of the youngsters and under the hard nut exterior they turned out to be pretty intelligent young men.

Their main gripe was that they have no where to go (ie youth clubs) they dont know of any youth workers in the area, They wont use other youth clubs because of the fear of getting attacked by the local youth of the area. Their wants was pretty simple really. All they want is some where safe where they can meet and chill out with their mates in safety and a reasonable degree of comfort.

They one major point that did arise was that " they are never consulted about what they would like in their area, they are usually just told that xyand z is what they are getting "

It would be interesting to find out if the local kids in Orford was consulted about the new developement and if they was , was any notice taken of their views ? and when i say " consulted " i mean "consulted" and not just a box ticking excercise or paying lip service to the youth .

If you think back without the rose tinted glasses there weren't that many places to go on most nights. Entertainment had to be self generated but I can't remember hanging around moaning that there was nowt to do.

Most nights were filled with outdoor activities, some included standing under lamp posts having a laugh, jokes, quizes, list etc. Not much leeway either for saying out late. When the weather wasn't fit we moved indoors to various front rooms, bedrooms & sheds. No pool tables but Monopoly, Subbuteo, 45s on the Dansette plus the odd snack from who ever's mum was the hostess.

The youth of today moan about nothing to do because they can't think for themselves and expect everything to be provided. On the odd instance when something is provided it gets abused.

Spot on Eagle!

It really winds me up when I hear the "but we've got / they've got nowhere to go" - 1 because it's not true & 2 as Eagle pointed out, they've got homes

What the little angels always fail to point out is what they want is somewhere to "chill out" in safety & comfort & where they can misbehave!

But before you accuse me of being a solitary nerd when I was a teenager let me tell you what I did 30ish years ago - & I never set foot inside a yoof club:

1/ scouts, or is this something no self respecting yob would entertain these days

2/ football in the park; which did not involve vandelism or leaving the place litered with chip paper, beer cans & condoms

3/ cycle rides

4/ & indoor games as Eagle pointed out

5/ most of our houses in those far off distant days had record players & we used to take our records round to each others homes

Nothing to do, nowhere to go ....... don't talk rubbish

Spot on Eagle: we have a generation(s) that have never had to use their imagination to create interest/play, everything has been, and has to be provided, and even then one needs to question if it's appreciated. :shock: I recall talking at length to some kids on the street, about whether they would use a local "youth club" (possibly the local school staying open); and they said, providing it was "just THEIR gang" using it - otherwise`there'd be fights etc - so that means you'd need one on almost every street corner. :roll: Perhaps folk should ponder on what is available, and ask why it's not utilised: EG: Army, Sea, Air Cadets, Scouts etc? :?:wink:

Personally, I don't think the youth are to blame for their "nowt to do" attitude.

They were brought up with the television as a baby-sitter, followed in later years by TV's in the bedroom and xboxes etc.

Is it any wonder that they can't think for themselves?

Sport became virtually extinct at schools, and what sport there was, they couldn't have winners and losers!!

The Youth service is conspicuous by its absence, and it seems that the only people trying to engage and encourage the youth are the PCSO's who over here, arrange football knockout competitions and other projects.

Having nothing to do, sounds ridiculous to the over 50's but people these days need educating in thinking for themselves.

observer, you don't need one on every corner, just one in each area. The "previous regime" did the town NO favours by closing Community Centres.

We now have the situation were kids from one area are fighting kids from another area with golf clubs. So maybe folk should take a bit more notice of what is going on, and start helping to improve the place instead of knocking what goes on. :roll:

Isn't the Orford youth club on Capesthorne Road being refurbished?

I haven't been in recently but when I have it was well run and the facilities looked ok, room for improvement yes.

There was a reorganisation last year of the youth service throughout Warrington and this did cause disruption and heated debate. Especially the one by us which is back on song and whenever I've popped in is well organised and appears to be doing well.

Eagle

I dont use rose tinted glasses. I was just passing on part of a conversation i had on the day. Your right in almost every thing you say. some kids these days dont seem to be able to think for themselves. I grew up in Woolston in the 50,s and 60,s. There wasnt even a youth club in the area, so like you we had to amuse ourselves, We got into mischief like most other kids but we knew the boundaries and stuck to em.

My main topic of conversation was the way Orford Park is falling into disrepair.

btw i seem to recall that you played darts and dominoes in the Culcheth League many years ago , am i right ?

Peter, territorial "gangs" existed years ago, so-called "youth clubs" just gives them a dry place to fight! :wink: As I said, we have Army, Sea, Air Cadets, Scouts etc; there was a Karate Club at the old Rylands Offices; and many church halls are used for hobby groups, plus of course - numerous soccer/rugby teams. :wink:

Peter, territorial "gangs" existed years ago, so-called "youth clubs" just gives them a dry place to fight! :wink: As I said, we have Army, Sea, Air Cadets, Scouts etc; there was a Karate Club at the old Rylands Offices; and many church halls are used for hobby groups, plus of course - numerous soccer/rugby teams. :wink:

I would disagree with that statement Obs... I used to go to St Albans youth club on Bewsey Road and as I remember there weren't big gang battles every night with kids from other areas. There was some minor trouble, but that was usually a punk rocker and a Mod or whatever.

I think part of the issue now is that the kids don't follow a particular style like we did. With the exception of the moshers, all the kids seem to dress the same and hang around in a feral local pack rather than mix with like minded folk from around the town.

I had mates from Latchford, Orford and just about everywhere else......

So maybe the answer is to bring back variety in music and that will keep the kids from forming local gangs!! :lol:

obs, perhaps you are a tad out of touch since your days of closing community places.

The difference between "those" days and now, is that one era used their fists, and the modern era use whatever weapon they can get their hands on.

I am not saying that kids shouldn't hang out or even be part of a gang, just saying that we need to turn back the clock and educate these kids into to doing worthwhile things. And that requires WBC to take some responsibility for the Youth service, as well as some joined-up thinking with other services and the communities.

You can be so "negative" at times, observer.

Just a small point, but how many people are aware of these facilities that you mention and are they in all areas of the borough?

Baz: not remember "the Gas Works Gang" ?- used to walk into the Bell Hall, and everyone scurried for the chairs round the sides of the hall, ready for the fights to start - good old days! :lol: As for weapons Pierre, Teds were using razors in Glasgow and elsewhere - so no change there! :shock: There are cadets etc available, but it seems youths don't want to travel any distance but want things on their doorstep - , pointless throwing money after things that arn't being used, or that don't bring tangible results. :roll: