Agency Workers?

observer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for a Pro European party

So go on Lt.... you've kept dodging the question of the millionaire MEP's made from their expenses claims

What do you think of MEP's now? Still good value for money or do you think they are all a bunch of robbing, coneiving, dishonest, self-serving scumbags that should be jailed for theft like I do!!

I never said I was a Labour voter, :shock:

I vote for a Pro European party :D:wink:

As for my assertion's Asperity, I persume you have checked by now and found that they are indeed facts :wink::D:lol:

Liebour - pro Europe

Tory - pro Europe

Libdem - pro Europe

As for your assertions I have looked again and sure enough that's all they are, certainly not facts! The recessions of the 80s and 90s didn't bankrupt the country and leave our great-grandchildren landed with a massive debt for the whole of their lives. Zanuliebour (the party you "say" you don't vote for but make excuses for all the time) came into power in 1997 and inherited a very healthy economy thanks to the previous Tory administration (who are not to be trusted with the economy - fair comment, they are a political party!) :roll::roll:

The spark that ignited the fire may have been the US sub-prime mortgage industry, but the fuel that has caught alight, was the whole global financial industry (including the UK). :shock: Brown spent 10 years taking credit for a boom based on a borrowing binge, denying all the time that once pay-back time arrived, we'd go bust. :roll: It was a 10 year drinking session in the brewery, but Gordon forgot that they might run out of beer - and ironically, it's the tea-totallers that are going to have to pay for it. :twisted:

Now I no where your comming from asperity, you are blaming Labour for the whole World recession, I thought it started in America, I suppose thats what comes from getting your news from Viz :wink:

Now you're trying to put words into my mouth. I don't share Brown's conviction that he has any influence on the world economy. I do know that he is responsible for the severity of the slump in this country having been in charge of the finances since 1997. It's his mantra that the problem started in the USA to try and hide the fact that it was his "light touch" regulation that has caused the problems in this country. I haven't seen Viz for many years, but it probably does have a better idea of the real world than you and your mate Gordon! :wink::wink:

Lord Snooty wasn't in Viz.... and if we are having a go at being posh, look no further than the "Labour" MP Shaun Woodward.... remember him? He was the Tory defector who famously campaigned and won the St Helens seat for Labour in 2001. Cambridge educated he is married to Camilla Sainsbury of the supermarket dynasty!

A Real Labour MP for the NuLabour era!

So did this former Tory marry the heiress when he was still a tory or after he turned colours?

No need to be so defensive Baz I was merely pointing out the physical resemblence. A couple of pictures to help show what I mean :wink::wink::wink:

Lord Snooty and chums

LordSnooty.jpg

David Cameron

cameron.jpg

Temp workers are hard done by when it comes to rights,

You have to be careful with this. I temp as a consultant and giving me 'rights' would make me an employee. My rate reflects and more than compensates for my 'loss of rights'. The right I have to set my own rate suits me just fine.

This is not the case for the temps that are effectively hidden employees. If you are a genuine agency worker you move where the rate is highest. If you are an agency worker who aspires to become 'staff' you should have the right to be considered for staff posting after a qualifying period. You may find however that most agency workers cannot afford to become staff since staff jobs inevitably mean restrictions on working hours and intolerable stress due to personal performance ram rodding.

The EU has a large tar brush that daubs large sections of the workforce regardless of their personal interests. When I need someone in Brussels to make my life decisions for me I will opt back in. For the time being the British legislation provides us with choice to opt in or out of the EU control on our work status. It seems fair to me.

None of this is to say that some workers are not exploited and that exploitation appears to be fed by poor legislation.

As a consultant you're in the fortunate position of being able to set your own rates - whatever the market will bear - and you probably take responsibility for your own tax and national insurance. That makes you self-employed, not a contractor.

It's also perhaps unlikely that you are working for the same business long enough to be affected by any proposed qualifying period for employment rights - even if you were employed through an agency which administers your payroll.