Charles Darwin.

observer

Seems Chas was born 200 years ago, in an age where scientifically derived theories that contradicted religious belief, were considered heresy - it took him 18 years before he could pick up the courage to publish his theory. :shock: Seems however, that the fear of revolutionary or evolutionary ideas by vested intersts havn't entirely diminished. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I go along with Mary. Of course it could be both or even multiple causes of progress and regression. Amoebas could have evolved slightly and then aliens from space came and colonized (Angels?). We don't know and anyone who has comprehended the complete universe and the complete history of this planet has an ego larger than human brains should be able to accommodate.

I read Voyage of the Beagle at about the same age as Darwin when he made his five year survey of flora and fauna around the earth.

As for debunking the Bible story of a talking snake and other 'myths' -- I find comfort in the fact that the writers of those stories at the time lacked the vocabulary we have today. When they say Jonah was swallowed by a great fish, they had no concept of cetaceans - warm blooded mammels in the sea. The biblical accounts of how our ancestors behave resonate with me as 99 and 44/100s per cent pure.

Think the crackpots who believe in the biblical "creation" put the start at around 40,000 years ago; Darwin showed, and science has subsequently confirmed, that Earth is billions of years old, thus giving ample time for the survival of the fittest genes to evolve into us. :wink:

Obs, at the end of Kirk Douglas film PATHS OF GLORY, he looks into a (what do they call beer halls in France) and sees drunken louts intimidating a helpless enemy girl and he would have thrown in with you. But then, the girl sings a little, weak tune and the swinish testosterone animals get little trickles of tears. Where did THAT come from? Huh? Can't answer, I bet.