Protectionism?

observer

Apparently someone has now pointed out that in Wales some jobs are advertising that applicants must have GCSE Welsh

Isn't the Welsh Assembly trying to have Welsh made the first language of Wales, indeed in parts of Wales I think it already is.

Always amazes me the money that must be spent by local authorities etc producing adverts in both English and Welsh. If you want Welsh speakers, just produce the advert in Welsh and save the taxpayers' money. :wink:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to an interview with Rodery Morgan (probably missed a couple of "L's" and "F's" out of his name!!) and he actually admitted that the amount of cost involved in having every sign, leaflet TV programme etc. in Welsh as well as English didn't really serve a genuine purpose because although only 20% of the population spoke Welsh, 100% spoke English!

There was no discernable benefit but it did keep the language alive.... that was this dead language that was spoken by a few hill farmers up until 25 years ago and has been suitably resurected using taxpayers money for the elite usage of 20% of the people in Wales!

observer

The Polish builders only got in because British builders were ripping off the British public :!:

And when all the British builders are out of business; the Polish builders will start to rip us off.... Basically what has happened in the south east with electrical contractors. First the electricians came in from Poland to work for the British firms. Then the Polish firms mopved in and undercut the british firms for the work....result; lots of unemployed electricians in the south east!

On the Welch language, Why should I pay to resurrect a dead language, If they want to learn it they should pay :!:

Absolutely right (do you know how hard it was to type that!?)

Any one remember a tv program "Auf Wiedersehen Pet"

The program was based on fact :!:

I wonder if the Germans were have the same conversation as we are having now, about cheap British labour :!::?:

Absolutely right (do you know how hard it was to type that!?)

:lol::lol::lol:

Its a miracle :D:wink:

I once got done for speeding in Wales, I also got a producer where I had to take my driving license in to Warrington Police Station. It was written in Welch, It took the Police man about 1 hour to decipher it, he thought it was not a legal document as it was not written in queens english.

We know all about "Auf Wiedersein Pet"; it occured at a time of German economic expansion and prosperity, and the Germans called them "Guest Workers", presumably so they could be sent home when no longer needed. :roll: I have no problem with Jonny Foreigner coming over here to fill job vacancies, for which there are no local skills or applicants; and when they are no longer needed, we simply say "thanks and good-bye" - simple. :wink: