Now THEY want 20mph limits!

Bill

Last year, the people in Paddington actively campaigned for a 20mph limit on the narrow residential roads but the planners decided that a 30mph limit was better but with bloody bumps everywhere.

Now the same planner say THEY want to drop the limit to 20mph, but NOT on residential back-roads as people requested but on A roads and commuter routes that form the main arteries of our transport infrastructure. (See Tuesdays news page)

For the life of me I can?t understand the rational for choosing such roads unless the aim is simply to frustrate the motorist. Forcing cars to drive very slowly on a long straight road where there?s no parking allowed then letting them speed up in the congested residential areas just doesn?t make sense!

Bill :)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the same planner say THEY want to drop the limit to 20mph, but NOT on residential back-roads as people requested but on A roads and commuter routes that form the main arteries of our transport infrastructure. (See Tuesdays news page)

Looking at the literature that I have been sent, the only arterial road that I can see being affected is the A50 Long Lane/Orford Green.

For further information on the scheme you can email the scheme's engineer, Joel Logue on jlogue@warrington.gov.uk

they need a 20mph speed limit on Long Lane..... but only at school times.

This would be handy so that the stupid kids that come out of the high school down there can walk (amble) across the road without looking; safe in the knowledge that if a car hits them it shouldn't kill them.

I am sure the kids at that place have absolutely no sense whatsoever as I don't recall seeing one ever use the pedestrian lights; prefering instead to chance running across the road

apparently the 18 month trial is to reduce accidents to children and cyclists.

It is based on statistics of accidents from 2007 and backwards. When the trial finishes the statistics will be compared, unfortunately it could be that any ststistics for the trial period will not be available as they are 2 years behind in the official collection.

I would like to know the cost and who is sponsoring this project.

Looking at the literature that I have been sent, the only arterial road that I can see being affected is the A50 Long Lane/Orford Green.

For further information on the scheme you can email the scheme's engineer, Joel Logue on jlogue@warrington.gov.uk

Aha, thje same guy resposible foir the now abandoned Callands speed bumps.

I think I see a pattern here :lol:

apparently the 18 month trial is to reduce accidents to children

I would like to know the cost and who is sponsoring this project.

if it is sponsored they can put me down for a couple of quid, seems like a worthy cause :wink:

Albeit, a bumpy one.

Perhaps the theory is, given enough chances, he will eventually get it right. :wink:

this is one of the worst implemented backhanded costly changes to Warrington roads that I have suffered.

Signs are still covered, there are random small 20 signs stuck anywhere on lampposts and other immobile objects and there are multiple speed changes from 30 to20 to 30 to 40 within 20 metres of each other. Roads with schools are not included yet roads with humps are.

What a shambles, but no more than I have come to expect from incompetents employed by WBC. Perhaps get rid of them and reduce council tax too?

Lets see some action from our elected councillors to stop this waste of money

Thought you might be interested in the following:

Email sent to cycle, walking and road danger reduction campaign groups ? 2nd Feb 2009

One small step for mankind - one huge step for Warrington

Hi

Well today Warrington Borough Council introduced its Experimental Traffic Order setting a 20 mph speed limit on 147 roads in the Borough.

It may not have been Phase One of a borough-wide 20 mph default, and both Warrington Cycle Campaign and 20?s Plenty For Us are highly critical of the nature of the pilots and how well they model the full range of roads in Warrington, but it is a huge commitment to lower speeds.

The three areas comprise the Town Centre, about 10 roads in Great Sankey and about 80 roads in the Orford area in the North East of the town.

The initiative has undoubtedly come about from 5 years of campaigning by Warrington Cycle Campaign and 20?s Plenty For Us. It has involved numerous meetings, campaigns and petitions.

Warrington was one of the ?new towns? of the 80?s and for years has suffered the blight of feeder roads designed for vehicle throughput rather than community amenity.

Surely if the ?tide can be turned? in Warrington then it can be turned in town halls throughout the land.

As campaigners we know that we have a long way to go in order to turn this 147 streets into the 2,000 or so needed to cover every community in Warrington. We are looking for the ?pilots? to be abandoned in favour of permanent and phased implementation across every residential street.

There will be many more meetings, persuasions, press releases and e-mails, but we are confident that eventually Warrington will become a more civilised place through the borough-wide adoption of 20 mph.

Our best regards

Keep up the campaigning.

Rod King 20?s Plenty For Us

Chris Mayes Warrington Cycle Campaign