Peninsula Barracks

neo2508

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn''t add much to the topic but they had a football pitch within the barracks, circa war-time and certainly into the fifties (Venns Road end). I played a couple of small matches on there - probably cos there were no crowds, but the barracks football team was in the Warrington football league diivision one, and they used to play on Rylands rec before crowds of often 1,000 or more.

There was a constant flow of good players through the barracks, the best one I remember was a coloured chap. The crowd loved him and he seemed not to mind in the slightest the name the crowd gave him (without one hint of malice).

Happy days

Obs

I have wondered about that one too. But I did not say it was an 18th century cannon. I don't know what vintage it was - could have been much more recent.

All I can say is that I believed the story because of who it was that told it - and the fact that it came from various sources. It should, I suppose, be possible to check in newspaper archives, etc. But who has the time? Certainly not me. The police inspector actually claimed to have seen a copy of Pravda with the story in it!

I actually heard the story from him several times, over a span of quite a few years, and he never told it differently. And I heard it from other officers too.

Two of the reporters claimed to have been at the press conference.

All the people involved will now be retired and possibly deceased - although I know one is still alive.

If ever I get round to writing my memoirs of 50 years reporting in Warrington I shall certainly include it in a section devoted to things which happened before my time. I would love to be to able to find conclusive proof but in the meantime I am happy to believe it.

The only thing that springs to mind would be that it was an early breach loader (like the ones still used by the RHG), which have a seperate charge, which would allow foreign objects to be put down the muzzle. But, I'm not sure an Infantry Depot would have carried stocks of artillery ammunition in it's magazine? :?

• 2 months later...

Everytime I drive past the barracks I wonder what it must have been like in its heyday. There seems to be so much history there but it looks so quiet now.

The married quarters for the barracks were in Canberra square in Orford. They are still there but they are now privatly owned.

My Grandfather who I did not know was a Staff Sargeant there in the late 60's early 70's and he had a house at Canberra square and my Mum lived there as a child.

My Mum remembers when the barracks were a lot bigger but she could not give me any more information. I can't find much on the internet but I am fascinated with the place and would like to learn more.

I would love to look around inside and see all the history. It would be nice if the barracks had open days were they let the public in and did some army displays etc etc.

I hope the barracks are here to stay as all other military establishments in Warrington have now all gone.

Hi Wireboy and welcome to the forum :D

Often wondered the same myself and yes it would be great if there were open days or more info available showing what it was like at the time and what they did there.

Maybe they can't do that though as it is the training place for the TA.

It was a lot bigger like your mum says and there was a map on here showing it's original size and also some other info. Not sure if it was on this topic or under the history section as it has been discussed quite a bit on here in the past.

I'll try and find the forum links in a while for you.

Thanks Dizzy, I would like those links please as I can't seem to find them.

I live near by and often wonder what it would have been like having "squaddies" walking the down my street :)

Seems a shame the barracks have downsized. I looked a google earth earlier and looked at where I think the barracks once were and the place was huge. :shock:

Here's one to keep you going... had to laugh as I was the one who uploaded the map showing it's original size DURH :oops:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17729&highlight=orford+barracks

I'll try and find the others later but I seem to remember Algy (another forum member) uploaded some photos of it once although they may since have been removed. He'll spot this topic soon as I'm sure will others who know more about the history of the barracks.

Everytime I drive past the barracks I wonder what it must have been like in its heyday. There seems to be so much history there but it looks so quiet now.

The married quarters for the barracks were in Canberra square in Orford. They are still there but they are now privatly owned.

My Grandfather who I did not know was a Staff Sargeant there in the late 60's early 70's and he had a house at Canberra square and my Mum lived there as a child.

My Mum remembers when the barracks were a lot bigger but she could not give me any more information. I can't find much on the internet but I am fascinated with the place and would like to learn more.

I would love to look around inside and see all the history. It would be nice if the barracks had open days were they let the public in and did some army displays etc etc.

I hope the barracks are here to stay as all other military establishments in Warrington have now all gone.

Wireboy, not much around on photos of the barracks, I have managed to find two that may be of interest, so here goes, I'm sure I have two more on disc somewhere if I come across them I shall post them on this topic, so look in from time to time.

sumnergroup.png

Peninsula Barracksgroup photo on the Parade ground.

Credit to T.Sumner.

groupshot.jpg

The first Jullundur Brigade Association Dinner November 1989

Held at 5/8 KINGS officers Mess, Peninsula Barracks, Warrington on Saturday 4th November 1989.

Seated:

Brig Fazle Qadir, Lt Col Roger Hislop, Lt Gen Ahmad Kamal,Maj Gen Peter Davies, Maj Gen Mohindar Singh Chopra,Brig Saeed Ismet, Lt Col Sadaqat Ali Shah,

Standing:

Maj L Taylor-Duff, Maj R Tranter-Owen,Gobindar Singh Chopra, Maj R Young, Capt Khalid Kamal, Maj BWR Baker, Capt D Chatterton, Capt Nadir Khan, Maj K Hastie,Maj FR Baker, Pushpindar Singh Chopra, Capt RA Bonner

Credit to HMVF. (Historic Military Vehicles Forum.)

Oh gosh this is going to sound so very rude and appologies as I don't know how else to say it and no disrespect meant at all.....

but in the second photo who were/are the Jullunder Brigade :oops: Were they trained at the barracks or based here....if not what association with the barracks do they have as quite of lot of them have foreign names.

I'm sorry for my complete ignorance but if you don't ask you don't learn :oops:

Dizz, the Jullunder Brigade has a historical connection with the Manchester Regiment who they fought alongside with outstanding courage during WWI,. the Manchester Reg. was incorporated into the King's Regiment that is now part of The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment the TA Engineers section have their HQ at Peninsula Barracks (as did the King's Reg.). Suggest you look at the following site History section.

http://www.jullundurassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=53

OneandTwotestscan.jpg

The unit is 5/8 Kings and is shown leaving Peninsular Barracks, Warrington for Manchester Airport in the late summer 1980.

Credit to Bob Grundy HMVF site.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Just to let you all know I went to Warrington Library today to try and find more about the barracks.

There are several old OS maps that show how big the barracks were but that map is already on this forum kindly posted by Dizzy. :D I'm afraid there was not much else. I would have liked to seen old photographs but I'm afraid there is none. :(

There are several old Warrington Guardian clippings telling stories of the regiment between 1930-1970. Mainly parades on the town hall lawn. Looking at these it would seem the council estate was built on part of the barracks in the late 60's. Again very few pictures or detail.

The staff at Warrington Libary were very helpful but they could offer no more research. I plan to go to Fulwood barracks soon and see the regiment museum where I hope they have old pictures/plans of Peninsula barracks.

I will post on here if I have any success. :)

What a shame there wasn't more info available at the library.

Have you tried Chester(Cheshire) Records Office... but saying that the people at the library may have been able to tell you if any more info was stored there.

Another good place to ask would be the museum as they have a really large collection of photo's etc but sadly the vast majority of it is not online or on public display. If they have anything they will get it out for you too view though (or so I'm told).

Happy hunting and keep up updo date on what you find out as it's really interesting :D:wink:

Hello all,

I finally put my money where my mouth is and went to the regimental museum at Fulwood barracks on Saturday. :lol:

The museum is well worth a visit. There is plenty of information available on the South Lancashire regiment and plenty of pictures hanging up on the South Lancs in action. There are even old photos of Warrington hanging up as the old regiment are marching through the town and parades on the town hall lawn etc.

The museum is run by ex army and most of them served or visited Peninsula barracks when it was much bigger in the 1960's.

On request a very nice old Colonel got the files out of the archive about Peninsula Barracks. This contained detailed maps with a key explaining each building and also old newspaper clippings throughout the years. There is even a timeline detailing events from 1871 to 1975.

In the mid to late 60's there seemed to be a lot of public upset at the downscaling of the barracks and they were trying to save it from demolition but ultimately lost and the barracks started to get ripped down in the late 60's early 70's and we are now blessed with Peninsula house which was completed in 1974. :(

I took several photocopies and I will keep them for my own reference. If I figure out how to use my scanner I will post them on here.

To give you an idea of how big the old barracks where, the old site occupied 16 acres and the barracks, as we know it now is only 5. So 11 acres were sold to WBC.

The museum has an A1 size full plan of the old barracks giving great detail on each building. Unfortunately to big to copy but I would have loved a copy as it answered most questions. :(

I would highly recommend a visit to the museum as they can search any body that has served in the regiment. I found my granddad?s records. :D

Hope all this helps and hopefully this post will stay open so more information can keep coming in.

Fantastic Wireboy and all that was really interesting.

What a shame that the library don't hold copies of the maps/plans and other info relating to the actual barracks in Warrington though too as I'm sure many people would find them fascinating.

What a lovely added bonus for you to find your own grandad's records too.

How long does it take to get to the Fulwood barracks museum and do you have to book ? I wouldn't mind going there myself one day as it sounds really good.

Looking forward to hearing more about it and I hope you get your scanner working asap :wink:

No need to book to Dizzy. Only 30-45 minute drive. Well signposted.

The museum is open from 1000am on Saturdays. It is in Fulwood barracks itself where after signing in you park inside the barracks and are free to look around. :D

Museum is free but they welcome donations and I gave generously as they did find my Grandfather?s records. :D

Well worth the visit and the staff are very helpful.