Peninsula Barracks

neo2508

well hello there every 1 its been a while but im back i have a question for people in here

ok for the past 6 months i have been working (yes thats right i said working) at peninsula barracks for the TA and slowly over this time i have found myself wanting to no more and more about this great building we found the old blueprints for it and im amazed at just how big this place was

whats bothering me is i cant find any old pictures or references to it now seeing as this is part of warringtons past history i would have thought there would be moutins of stuff for it (if there is and iv been looking in the wrong place then can some 1 help me out please)

what i would like to see is pictures of this amazing building in its hay day we have even dug up parts of the old foundations to a building located at the front gate if any one could help i would be greatfull thank you for your time

john

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

have you tried the main Library (well not just yet as it is closed for refurb.... but opening again soon) they would have information for you I would think. Or maybe the HQ of the Lancashire or Cheshire regiments may be able to help?

im off on a detail there nxt wk i think so will look then but did have the site up n there was nothing there but i wont give up yet think warrington should have a section in the museum dedicated to warringtons millatry past from army raf and navy

a;so can anyone on here tell me anything about the old reuines in glazebrook as that was some kind of MOD propety but no idea what

right iv been looking about still and found this bit of info

The South Lancashire Regiment was formed in 1881 as a result of the Cardwell reforms of the British Army.

With its Regimental Depot at Peninsula Barracks, Warrington, the Regiment initially consisted of two battalions, with the 1st formed from the former 40th Regiment of Foot, and the 2nd from the former 82nd.

The Regiment recruited primarily from that area of South Lancashire which is centred on the townships of Warrington and St Helens.

During World War I the Regiment expanded to a total strength of 21 battalions. They served on the Western Front, at Gallipoli, and in Macedonia, Egypt, Mesopotamia (modern-day Iraq) and India. In all, they were awarded a total of 64 Battle Honours. The Regiment suffered a total of 5450 casualties. Four members of the Regiment were awarded the Victoria Cross.

The Regiment was again expanded in World War II, to a total of 9 battalions. They served in North West Europe, Madagascar, India and Burma. On D-Day, 6 June 1944, the 1st Battalion was in the first wave to land on Sword Beach, Normandy, at the start of the invasion of Europe.

On 1st July 1958 the Regiment amalgamated with the East Lancashire Regiment to form The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers), which in 1970, in turn amalgamated with The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment to form The Queen's Lancashire Regiment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow thank you for this picture looking on the old plans it looks like the big building is the gym and the wall behind them is o'leary street it self they would be stood were peninsula flats are now roughly if any one else has any more please forward them to me on here thank you

• 4 weeks later...
if the engineers hadnt moved in they were going to knock the place down i can find loads of pics and info bout raf burtonwood even raf croft which i new nothing about but this places there is nothing at all

Don't dare mention Burtonwood .. the locals will want us Americans to pay to have the locals rebuild and reopen the place .. as though we care about our prior workplaces .. if we did we wouldn't go on a demolition tear for building projects!

:twisted:

• 1 year later...

I have submitted a post about the barracks on here I didn't realise there was already one on here. I live on Cabul Close next to the Barracks and was interested to know if the land used to form a part of it... i now know it does this information has been helpful although I would like to know more about it myself :)

The "barracks" was (I think) completely surrounded by a curtilage wall, part of which still exists. It enclosed the large parade ground surrounded by associated buildings, including married quarters. Presume it was the the training and recruitment depot for the South Lancs Rgt originally. :?

There is a story which has been told about Peninsula Barracks in police and journalistic circles, which I believe to be true. It was before my time in Warrington, but I have spoken to journalists and police officers who all tell the same story.

There was a croquet green at the barracks and next to it an old cannon, kept for ornamental purposes.

There was a dinner in the officer's mess one night at which rather too much liquor flowed and the result was that young officers tumbled out on to the croquet green, loaded the cannon with croquet balls and fired it.

A sergeant at the police station received a phone call from an irate resident of Orford who said: "A croquet ball has just crashed through my bathroom window."

There was a subsequent police investigation and the matter got into the national and local press.

Eventually a press conference was held at the barracks at which a senior officer promised to launch a full investigation. Rumour at the time was that he was the one who had been shouting "Fire!"

Postscript to the story was that it was eventually picked up by Pravda, the state-run newspaper of the Soviet Union, which reported that the British Army had been shelling peasants using croquet balls.

I have spoken to journalists who covered the story locally and also to the sergeant (later to become an inspector) who took the call at the police station. They all swear it was true.

The period, I suppose, would have been late 40s or early 50s.