Local labour?

observer

How many senior Council Staff for example actually live in the Borough?

When the jobs came up did anybody apply from Warrington, did they have the right qualifications or did Warrington Council go out into the market place and get the best person they could for there money, which at the end of the day is our money :!::wink:

Pete, ever tried fog with scissors - and on your own?! :wink: No Jyje; it's much simpler than that, all posts could be advertised on the basis that the successfull candidate is required to reside in the Borough - or is that tooo complicated for you?! :wink: Whilst still on "unecessary" jouneys; in order to get you the CHEAPEST food possible, we've got Planes and HGVs etc, travelling all round the globe, up and down the M/ways; basically carrying coals to Newcastle! :roll:

This reminds me of when I lived in Crosfield St and the junction with Midland Way traffic lights was dug up and worked on for about 3 weeks...I remember asking one guy how long they would be working for and what they were actually doing.

He replied in a very broad cockney accent words to the effect of '' Too long mate and I cant wait to get back home to London''...can a London based company seriously be the cheapest option for work carried out in Warrington? Or maybe it was a relative of someone on the council who owned the company eh :roll:

Anyway when they finished I saw on at least 2 occasions a WBC crew coming around to 'fix' the same part of the road that these southern cowboys had obviously messed up...money well spent there then !!

So as a contractor I should only be allowed to work in my own town, and also only allowed to eat food produced in my own Borough? But you Observer are all for importing from all over the world something we already have an abundance of, political and religous bigots. Free speach I hear you plead, well how about freedom of choice to work and eat what I like. Stupid unworkable ideollogy Observer which we advanced from centuries ago. I think you came to us through a time warp. :lol:

Would that be in my locally built vehicle on roads made from locally quarried stone. Where would you end it. Best get your biggest hammer out Observer and smash up a few weaving machines, you are sounding like a perfect example of a Luddite.

PJ asked a valid question, Where would you end it :?::wink:

so when either you or a loved one goes under the knife for an opperation will you forgo the anasthetic for a leather strap. And if you need a transplant will you insist the organ comes from a Warrington donor. if not then think to yourself" this is progress, this is the future". Your idea would create chaos and is totally unsuited for a society any time other than the iron age. Why don't you start your own "amish" style commune where grisly old moaners sit all day in the same place eating locally in season food(probably cabbage at the minute) and griping all day on the internet fora. Sorry the internet would be deemed as progress and the future too. Seriously though your ideas, whilst no doubt sounding wonderful to you, are not practical whatsoever in todays society. Controlling what people eat and where they are allowed to work is extreme even for the Labour control freaks we have in power now.

Well your "market place" doesn't seem to be doing to well lately! :lol: The market is like a wild horse, fine if harnessed by regulation or nationalisation, but as we're witnessing liable to stampede otherwise. :roll: It has no social responsibilty or conscience; hence the need for regulation to bridle it to act in the public interest. :? Now looking at logistics: one local S/market chain apparently buys in potatoes from farms in Scotland, from where the travel down the M6 to the depot in the Midlands; from where they are loaded on other HGVs for distribution to there shops, some of which will be located back in Scotland - possibly within miles of the farms - now call that rational?! :roll: Now a look at commuter journeys; so we have a teacher living miles outside Warrington, traveling by car to reach their school, a bit of snow on the road, and the school closes - call that sane?! :lol: BTW I'm not saying any or all of our economic activity has to be localised, merely that priority should be given to local firms / staff - thus minimising travel distance and road congestion; and for the greens, pollution. :wink: As for your "donor" analogy; not really applicable as we have a "national" Health Service, although it may be described as international these days! :wink:

Well your "market place" doesn't seem to be doing to well lately!

Agreed :!: But at least it actually exists :wink:

The market is like a wild horse, fine if harnessed by regulation or nationalisation

Completly agree :wink:

so we have a teacher living miles outside Warrington, traveling by car to reach their school, a bit of snow on the road, and the school closes

Heres me thinking they shut them because they were frightened of being sued in case of accidents :shock:

On the whole I quite like your ideas observer, but they will never work, even if you could persuade the Uk to come on board, You would have to persuade the rest of the World. I think you should come on in with me, vote for a united Europe as a first step :wink::lol::D