Orford Park Project

xyz

Part of me wonders if this project is a Trojan horse to get the expressway built across Orford Park. About 15 years ago the Council were told they couldn't build the new road through parkland.

On the face of it, the new leisure facilities look good, but it seems to have grown from a ?5m scheme in 2002 to a ?28m one now.

Back in 2002 there were a few pitches and a community centre, now it's grown to include a re-located Fordton leisure centre with swimming pools, a library, community centre etc and supposedly Warrington Wolves training facilities (should the Council be providing facilities for private companies? - that will be ?100,000 and one park the Wolves will owe Warrington taxpayers!).

So, goodbye mature trees and open parkland and hello huge car park and building development. The only bit of parkland in the area and the Council want to build on it! Why ruin it? Especially when we already have the facilities elsewhere.

What will go at Fordton etc? More car showrooms or fast food sales?

Once it's all built, the Council will then make the case that a new expressway wouldn't be going through open parkland anymore. Mark my words, the corridor for it is still there on the plans.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three questions:

1. What ring road Paul I didn't see that in the proposal?

2. I'm still waiting for a reply from Councillor Colin Oliver (Lib/Dem)as to whether or not there will be an Olympic size swimming pool as part of the project. He stood up at an NHS meeting and wouldn't confirm or deny that it would be built - all he would say is that it wasn't ruled out - this was twelve months ago.

3. In addition will there or will there not be Gymnastic facilities that were pormised as part of the project to Warrington Gymnastic Club over five years ago as part of this project.

I have three questions:

1. What ring road Paul I didn't see that in the proposal and would it ease congestion anyway? It would certainly lead to many tress being chopped down. However from what I know of the project I saw neither proposals, maybe they were put in at the last minute!

2. I'm still waiting for a reply from Councillor Colin Oliver (Lib/Dem)as to whether or not there will be an Olympic size swimming pool as part of the project. He stood up at an NHS meeting and wouldn't confirm or deny that it would be built - all he would say is that it wasn't ruled out - this was twelve months ago.

3. In addition will there or will there not be Gymnastic facilities that were pormised as part of the project to Warrington Gymnastic Club over five years ago as part of this project.

Here is a link to thier web site:

http://orfordproject.warrington.gov.uk/

The ?32.9million project is 80% funded - no mention of a ring road or cutting down trees, a six lane pool but not 50 meter and no Gym facilities that I can see.

However it looks very promising and has taken many years to get to the current position so things will have changed/evolved. It's good to see that there are several key sporting organisations backing this project.

Perhaps xyz is onto something here? :shock: One should be wary of any involvement between WBC and WRLC, as it will no doubt be one way traffic financially. :shock: Paul; the orignal NewTown road plan was for a E-W Expressway, basically linking N/Town developments in the west to those in the East - NOT a "ring road"; and would merely act as a by-pass for Long Lane, basically destroying what's left of Orford Park. :shock: So what of the "local" Councillors, who opposed the original road plan - what's their position now? :?:wink:

There is the basis of several "ring roads" in our current infrastructure layout - the main one, requiring a S/West link across the Mersey from lower Walton to G/Sankey: this would have the added value of opening up the S/W Quadrant of the Town, and take "through traffic" around the T/Centre instead of the bottle neck at Bridge Foot. :roll::wink:

There is the basis of several "ring roads" in our current infrastructure layout - the main one, requiring a S/West link across the Mersey from lower Walton to G/Sankey: this would have the added value of opening up the S/W Quadrant of the Town, and take "through traffic" around the T/Centre instead of the bottle neck at Bridge Foot. :roll::wink:

But that would require logical and joined up thinking; something that I have yet to witness from the bunch of idiots running this town

Ok thata's Paul's Ring Road idea killed off what do you all think of the Ordford Project as detailed in the link

surely the support and finance from the Football Association and Warrington Wolves especially the Wolves Foundation is of benefit to the project?

Shame though about the 50 meter pool no being built a lost opportunity in my view, our olympic swimmers will have to continue to travel to Manchester every morning at 4am, the Warriors will continue to be without a competitive pool!!

Ok thata's Paul's Ring Road idea killed off what do you all think of the Ordford Project as detailed in the link

surely the support and finance from the Football Association and Warrington Wolves especially the Wolves Foundation is of benefit to the project?

Shame though about the 50 meter pool no being built a lost opportunity in my view, our olympic swimmers will have to continue to travel to Manchester every morning at 4am, the Warriors will continue to be without a competitive pool!!

Oops well spotted Obs and Dissy what I meat to say was 'the financial support from the Football Association and local support from Warrington Wolves especially the Wolves Foundation with their excellent community support and expertise are of great benefit to the project?'

Speaking of Reindeer - Observer's friend wrote to Thumper (john Prescot) just over 8 years ago trying to stop the development of the Halliwell Jones Stadium. :twisted:

With friends like these it's no wonder that sport and sports development in Warrington dosen't always get the support it deserves in this Town.

Fortunately people with a different mind set have taken up the reins and worked full time to lead the Orford Project. :D