Snouts still in the trough

asperity

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Brown has placed a whip on NuLab MPs to vote for the non-disclosure of their ill gotten gains - how corrupt can they get? :roll::twisted:

They already are all thieves and con men who couldn't get a job in the real world.

Politicians should be paid the average wage and have a salvation army style hostel in London and a pool of unemployed typists to do their office work..... and a YTS style typist in their constituencies. No more would they need to be claiming ?150,000.00 a year for staff and a train ticket for everyone of them would solve the travel problem

If we are havimng to make cuts and redundancies; so should they the leeching swines

a salvation army style hostel in London and a pool of unemployed typists to do their office work..... and a YTS style typist in their constituencies.

If Someone is a typist, then are they unemployed?

I digress lol.. sounds great on paper Baz, but whod be prepared to do work for NOTHING? Would you work for a Michael Portillo for no gain? (oh hang on.. maybe thats whats expected of the Great British Workforce these days...)

Plus floorspace in London is SO much more expensive! Theyd be evicted by their landlords in favour of someone whod be prepared to pay the rent! Just ask people who have been "asked to leave" by landlords under spurious circumstances, only to find the house gets rented out to someone whos prepared to pay higher rent! (Hm I know of a house in the Orford Lane area where that happened...)

And you cant run an office in a cardboard box under Euston Station! What about Health and Safety, Electricity Bills, Business Premises taxes, etc etc etc?

How about instead... a massive video conferencing network? (WARNING FACETIOUS MOMENT)

A PROPER BBC Parliament, for instance? That way proceedings are conducted from the warmth of the MPs own Country Mansions, therefore saving on transportation (Green Issue, much kudos) office staff (ie get the spouses to do it, saves having to keep nepotism quiet) and the MP would be working from the very constituency hes supposed to represent! Imagine how quick constituency issues can be resolved if somone can nip up over on a number 15 bus in person- and the sheep... i mean...constituents would be well impressed!

Plus hackers can be used as parliamentary watchdogs- the proceedings being in a publicly accessible domain (hmm pay per view- theres an idea)- and the footage put on YouTube (trendy!) in the form of a Blog- so when those little fibs just slip out the evidence is there for all to see!!

hehe Wed have to sell the Houses of Parliement too...hmmm...that old pile of bricks would make a most EXCELLENT prison...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote="Baz J

They already are all thieves and con men who couldn't get a job in the real world.

Most have had, and some still do in addition to being an MP....it's just being an MP is proving to be a more lucrative career. :wink::D

PS Regarding Baz's comment, remember some are women...

Anyway come the next General Election, the gravy train for some will hit the buffers.

Seems being an MEP is even more lucrative - make a ?million out of expenses in five years - not bad eh?! :twisted:

I saw that article as well Observer and "shocked" by the fiddles that are possible. In most organisations if you tried to do what MEPs are doing you would be sacked. Some of the fiddles look like criminal offences to me. I'm still trying to work out what MEPs actually do....how often have posters contacted their MEP....do they even know who their MEPs are.

PS You will shortly...they are up for re-election on June 4th...well some of them are....a couple are ceasing. Although its a list system so you don't vote for an individual but rather a political party. Interestingly with the drop in the value of the ? against the ? our MEPs are considerably better off than they were, as they are paid in Euros (7,000 per month)....in addition they get daily 268 euro allowance to cover food and accommodation on their working days, plus a 3,785 euro monthly allowance for office costs and 14,865 euro monthly allowance for staff.

Crikey....guess I should have tried to become a MEP. :wink::D

PS Regarding Baz's comment, remember some are women...

Oh very PC Paul..... how remiss of me.

Mind you, the two women we have here in Warrington can't bang on about equal pay.... they screw more out of the system than a lot of the male members of Parliament!!

This is what research for the Taxpayer's Alliance found:

After the European Elections in June 2009, British MEPs stand to get a 47% increase in their take home pay. MEPs currently earn the same as a Westminster MP, ?63,291, on which they pay British income tax of 26%, leaving them ?46,835 in take home pay. Three crucial changes in their pay arragements will increase their salaries sizeably:

i) After June, all MEPs will move to a new, standardised salary of ?91,980 - at 2008 exchange rates, that is a pay rise of 16% to ?73,584.

ii) At the same time, they will cease to pay British income tax and will instead pay a new, reduced EU tax of only 15%, boosting their take home pay to ?78,183. At 2008 exchange rates that means their after-tax pay will increase from ?46,835 to ?62,546 - a 33% rise.

iii) The new MEPs' salary will be paid in Euros, which have gained greatly in value against Sterling since 2008. If exchange rates stay at around ?1:88p, then MEPs will gain a further increase in take-home pay to ?68,801. Going from earning ?46,835 in take home pay currently to ?68,801 under the new arrangements is a 47 per cent rise.

It has been calculated that due to the generosity and laxity of the MEPs' allowances, expenses and pensions system, it is possible for an MEP to personally save enough money to become a millionaire over their 5-year term.

Daily Mail:

"Motor racing legend Sir Jackie Stewart is refusing to give up his ?4 million role as a global ambassador for RBS, despite the bank's plans to axe around 30,000 jobs.

The former Formula One triple world champion, who settled in Switzerland 40 years ago to avoid tax in Britain, said he expected the struggling institution to honour his contract despite its problems."

Maybe given that RBS is in effect owned by the British Taxpayer, any money it pays out to the likes of the above tax dodger should be taxed at source, 40%.

Paul,

while I can understand the sentiments, I would prefer the money to go to Jackie Stewart than to a bunch of no mark chavs and 15 year old single mums.

Part of the problem is the fact that the government saved the banks rather than let them go bust and then do something. What we have no is a situation where the majority of bankers still expect to get their bonuses because overall they made money for the bank as it was only a small minority that shafted everyone else.... their thinking is they have done nothing wrong and so are still entitled to the bonus. Jackie is the same; as is that scottish tennis player; if the bank had gone bust, it wouldn't have to honour its debts however we the taxpayer are now funding most of it....

If the government dare to try and stop these bonuses, they will be met with a barrage of lawsuits so they are shying away and prefering to go down the line of making changes for the future bonus structure etc.!! Expect to see the bad news buried under a busy news day sometime soon!

Another classic bit of mis-management by Brown and Co.

Perhaps you could explain, how if the banks were allowed to "go bust" savings are protected? :shock: All insolvencies involve a priority queue of creditors, not sure the employees would not be ahead of savers in that case - and with no banks, how would your esteemed capitalist system work - barter?! :roll::wink:

Obs,

neither way is preferable except that all I was saying is what I had heard on a radio show and that was the majority of the bank workers who got bonus as part of their annual deal; now still expect them because in their eyes they have done nothing wrong and that also in their eyes it was a small number of people who have caused the problems.

Sports stars sponsored by the banks are the same.... none of them want to lose out....

The government had guaranteed personal savings up to an amount that was about 50K per person so the only ones that would have lost out would be very rich people like Neil Kinnock and his wife and most of the current crop of MP's..... your average working man would have been fine. :lol:

They say we suffer from a "blame culture" in this Country, but what we don't have is an "accountability culture" - ALL those spivs at the top who were throwing money at folk who had no chance of repaying, ALL those who sought credit without the means to repay: should be sought out, stripped of any assets they may personally have and made to repay their debts, even if it's only ?5 pw. :shock: This should definately apply to those at the top of this chain (which probably includes this Gov), who still labour under the economic fantasy that you can borrow more than you earn. :twisted: