Capital of Culture 2008 - Success

So I guess there are no slums or unemployed in Liverpool anymore?! :roll::wink:

Nobody said that there weren't and the report issued late last week highlights those facts as the main reasons why Liverpool was placed at the bottom of the 64 Towns and Cities surveyed. Housing and unemployment are still a massive issue.

However my pont is that the Commonwealth Games and the Capital of Culture are stimuli to development just like the New Town Status was to Warrington. Only time will tell if this eventually leads to improvement in housing and employment.

As for accounts I have given you a thread to the 2002 Games. When they are available for the Capital of Culture then I will post those, however as you will realise this will take time as well. There may well be an interim report has already been produced. When I get time I will have a look. :)

Not sure how the Manchester Games got dragged into it considering that the title of the thread is 'Capital of Culture Success', unless it was a diversion because little could be made of the success.

I am struggling to see any success in the Capital of Culture and cannot see any of the promised benefits to the surrounding area.

Thousands were evicted from the homes and areas that they loved.

Luxury Apartments totally out of the reach of most peoples spending power were built and now lie empty, with desperate offers of buy one get one free. The new tram system failed because Liverpool council refused to finance any overspend. The councils legacy is a ?25m debt to the people of Liverpool.

The Council can boast of success when those people who work in Liverpool but live in Warrington, Widnes, and Chester decide to move back to the city, but as the latest report states being the worst place to live out of 64 is not going to help.

The scousers that I know like working in Liverpool, support either Everton or Poo, are proud of being scouse but absolutely refuse to live there.

Speaking of Agricultural input I had time to visit St

http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/product-p8033

Re-opened in time for the Capital of Culture celebrations.

They have just taken up the wooden floor to reveal the famous milton tiles beneath - this is only for two weeks so well worth a visit. But also within the hall are stain glass windows, statues and many other wonderful things. Entrance is free and there are many other things in the building like the old court room, prison cells etc. I've only been there when functions have been on so it was nice to walk arouns in the peace and quiet and reflect.

There is a really nice tea room and you can gaurantee that a really good conversation from one of the locals who will want to tell you about themselves and the City. So you won't be lonley.

In the exhibition hall is a large map of Liverpool. You are invited to put your thoughts and comments down on sticky labels about nature and conservation. These are then stuck on the map in the area that you would like conserving. There are also details about the areas history and how the cities and surrounding area landscape have changed.

The aim is not for people to plough a loney furrow but to contribute to a future Liverpool plan that we can all enjoy. Now how good is that to get people's input?

So the seeds planted as part of the Capital of Culture have taken root and this is yet another example of how things are slowly changing for the better.

The Capital of Culture will be remembered in a few years in much the same way as The Garden Festival is...a lot of blow hard from the scousers which made little difference to the fate of Liverpool. It will remain a nest of gangsters and mountain bike riding drugs dealers with the occasional shooting thrown in just to remind us how cool they are. You'll still have 40 years old chav women saying *It wazzen are Billee...are Billee iz a gutt latt* When good old Billy has just committed another horrendous crime. Of course not a single person will come forward and give Billy's name to the *bizzees*. Scousers aren't grasses are they...Dey wouldn't do dat would dey ?

He's obviously had a bad day and wants to get things off his chest.

It is a great shame what happened to the Garden Festival and it's entertainment legacy wasn't managed at all well. The land is now derelict awaiting new build - the companies that were running the project failed to delever. However other parts of the estate now have new housing. The Yellow submarine has found a new home at the John Lennon Airport.

I remember visiting the festival site it back in 1984 and there were a lot of interesting design features. However it was the first time that the Garden Festival had taken place in Britain. A great deal has been learnt since then.

I think the one at Stoke survived better and they celebrated the 21st Birthday in 2007 - marking the successful land reclamation project.

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/cc/city_life/city-life-spring-2007/citys-garden-festival-site-comes-of-age.en;jsessionid=aCVzZq1vS9D4

Nowadays project have legacy built into them so that the benefits go on for a long time after the event takes place.

The Capital of Culture is an example of something that goes to the heart of the community unlike the Garden City which was out at Otterspool.

image_mini