Prince Harry and all that

Horace

With regards to your latter question, I knew it wouldn't be long before I was asked that! :roll: He is yes BUT, any opinion I express in this forum is that of my own.

I don't doubt they are your own. I couldn't imagine him coming out with the stuff you do.

As for opinions.

You have to remember the difference in age groups and their perceptions of how things should or shouldn't be. And be able to analyse those reasons.

The "modern" generation are a bunch of namby pambies who are politically correct, are over-sensitive and don't understand pain or physical work, and live in their little bubble of utopia.

They are quite happy to lose the countries identity and sell their souls to Europe.

They also seem to believe everything the media says.

It is easy to do interviews and ask loaded questions. They might get two opinions out of twenty that give the answers that they want and those are the ones they use.

Now if the lad in the army and the bloke in the polo group had complained, I can see a reason for looking into the issue. But when the media feed off it for days on end, digging up every obscure member of the ethnic minority to put their two pennyworth in, there is not much credibility.

It's similar to banning xmas because someone decides that the Moslems will be upset.

All a load of cobblers. Ask the "no chip on their shoulder" Asian people.

Slightly off subject, if a vacancy occurs, who should get the job? The ethnic person to fulfill the quota, or the best person for the job?

I ask that, because I think the whole race relations thing causes more problems that it cures.

As for your u-turn, you should take up politics. That was neat.

:D:wink:

V/good Pierre! :wink: Perhaps Jonothan can specify exactly what "race" is/was offended by the terms - "raghead"; "sooty" or "Paki"? :? I reiterate - Pakistanis are a Nationality, formed in 1948, when they were given independence from the British Raj. :shock: I think the "racial" grouping they belong to, is Indo-European? :roll::wink:

They are apparently friends Jonathan so what's the problem with a friendly long standing nickname that it would seem has caused no annoynace to the recipient ... :roll:

Jonathan your really need to get out more and understand how

friendships work :lol:

:roll: I've got a good number of friends and like I've already mentioned in a previous post of mine in this thread, one of my close friends is of Pakistani origin and he regularly uses a word deemed racist when used by Whites, to talk about those from his culture. He often insists that if I said the word he wouldn't take any offence but thats not the point. The point is that a large proportion of the public are careful not to use those sorts of terms for fear of getting into trouble, and rightly so.

Jonathan, I wasn't suggesting that is acceptable to address or refer to a person you don't know of a particular origin as 'Sooty' or any other name that may cause offence. But what goes on between friends is obviously acceptable otherwise they wouldn't be friends would they. :roll:

I agree with your statement regarding a large proportion of public being careful not to use various terms but worth remebering in cases such as Charles calling a friend 'Sooty' that accepted nick-names for friends does not fall into the same category as vindictive name calling towards a persons colour, disability, origin or similar.

In my senior school years we had a large circle of friends and one was called 'Mowglie'. That was not his real name obviously but a nickname that he went though school with. Everyone called it him even the teachers on occasion. Reason... he was the spitting image of Mowgli from Jungle Book and it just stuck. It never offended him or his family... they all thought it was hilarious. I guess today someone would say that it was politically incorrect :roll:

It does frustrate me when things like this blow up out of all proportion. Is a news article or comment classed as offensive if someone says 'Auzzies' when it is aimed at people from Australia... or 'Kiwis' from Newzealand... or 'Yanks' from USA... etc etc

WHY does it suddenly become politically incorrect and a major news story when skin colour is involved :roll:

I have family in Oz (oops sorry meant Australia !!)

While i was over there watching cricket on tv a commentator referred to the Pakistani team as paki's and there home team as Aussies. Also the same terminology was used in the papers.

Later on in the evening i got chatting to some Aussies and passed comment on this and explained how the word is a big no no in the uk..their response

" Bloody hell m8 you poms are weird "

Paki's from Pakistan

Scot's from Scotland

Pole's from Poland

Warringtonian's from Warrington

So on that occasion ... yes ... i had to agree with them