J Walking?

observer

I think your getting a bit muddled with your logic Wolfie

It won't be the first or last time Bill :)

I do think though that the biggest problem from both sides is the human involvement not the machines. As humans we are impatient, we want to get where we are going as fast as possible and if that means walking across when the red man is showing or jumping the lights to prevent having to wait another few minutes until they change back to green then that is what we do. I agree with the idea of a cancel button but wonder as to how many would actually use it. :roll:

I?ve been giving this some more thought and the more I think about it them more I?m drawn to the conclusion that the older system of zebra crossings would in many instances work better than pelicans.

For sure people are impatient, but that?s a fact of life and something that designers of traffic systems seem to push aside rather than take into account. There seems to be mindset that computer controlled lights and crossings are the only way to keep us safe irrespective of the costs and practicalities.

I see little point in spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on hi-tech crossings if at the end of the day people don?t them. If you think about it, it?s no different than all the pedestrian bridges that were put up in the seventies only to be pulled down in recent years.

All interesting stuff though!

Bill :)

fatshaft, - rocking horse manure is rare. Driving through red lights is common.

Automatic cameras at red lights were "tripped" 106,000 times in London over the past year - nearly 300 times each day.

117 road-users were spotted charging through the lights in a three-hour period.

J walkers are doing what they would normally do if they were driving. They all need educating not just the pedestrians. :roll:

6000 traffic lights in London, so one in twenty will have one car per day jump the lights. Not common in my eyes at all. Certainly a drop in the ocean compared to Jay walkers.

Fine if all 6000 had automatic cameras but less than 300 have them installed :roll::roll:

fatshaft, - rocking horse manure is rare. Driving through red lights is common.

Automatic cameras at red lights were "tripped" 106,000 times in London over the past year - nearly 300 times each day.

117 road-users were spotted charging through the lights in a three-hour period.

J walkers are doing what they would normally do if they were driving. They all need educating not just the pedestrians. :roll:

6000 traffic lights in London, so one in twenty will have one car per day jump the lights. Not common in my eyes at all. Certainly a drop in the ocean compared to Jay walkers.

Fine if all 6000 had automatic cameras but less than 300 have them installed :roll::roll:

Super, one a day then per set of lights, I presume you'll admit that the number of cyclists and pedestrians that jump lights would be far in excess of that?

fatshaft, It gains nothing by me admitting that cyclists and pedestrians that 'jump' lights (as you put it) outnumber car drivers. I have no statistics to prove it one way or another. The only statistics available prove that it is a big problem with car drivers. I am merely trying to emphasise the point that whether on foot, on a bike or in a car many of us are to blame for being impatient and ignoring the controls that were put there for our own safety. Trying to prove that more cyclists and pedestrians jump lights than car drivers achieves nothing apart from you being able to say 'I told you so' but seeing that I'm not trying to prove otherwise you are wasting your time. :roll::roll:

fatshaft, It gains nothing by me admitting that cyclists and pedestrians that 'jump' lights (as you put it) outnumber car drivers. I have no statistics to prove it one way or another. The only statistics available prove that it is a big problem with car drivers. I am merely trying to emphasise the point that whether on foot, on a bike or in a car many of us are to blame for being impatient and ignoring the controls that were put there for our own safety. Trying to prove that more cyclists and pedestrians jump lights than car drivers achieves nothing apart from you being able to say 'I told you so' but seeing that I'm not trying to prove otherwise you are wasting your time. :roll::roll:
:roll:

Well actually, you made this statement ..........

There are some roads you would never get across if you didn't chance your arm or is it your foot at jay walking. Seems to me that most of the 'retards' are behind the wheel. :roll:

Now I don't agree with that, and your figures for red light jumping car drivers, would prove to all but the most stubborn, that your statement is just plain wrong.

Also, 1 proven amber gambler per set of lights per day, is hardly a "big problem", at least not in my eyes. A "big problem" would be middle lane hoggers, speeders, driving without lights in poor visibility, driving with fog lights in normal visibility, or indeed pedestrians who jay walk - all of which don't need any statistics to prove them, we see multiple cases for ourselves everyday.

Just saying like :roll:

Like I said 'seems like' not proven or without doubt, but an observation, just like you seem to see more cyclists and pedestrians. I don't expect you to agree to it just acknowledge that car drivers jumping red lights is a problem as are cyclist and pedestrians j walking albeit in your view a smaller problem. :roll::roll: