ABBA Taxis - as they are now known.

confused

I was out on saturday, not been out for a while and was shocked to find that the bridge street taxi rank has been closed off.

Well, this was a surprise but I made my way round to academy way where there was nothing but chaos.

So called "taxis" with abba and crown private hire stickers on the side of the cars here there and everywhere, some scenes were scary and then you have the local boy racers to contend with... on two single way carriage ways with people everywhere? does anyone know why the council has made this which is totally unsafe and dangerous?

Anyway, I among many stood inline only to be told that to get a "taxi" we need a ticket.. which could be found at a designated dedicated booth eitherside of bridge street. I asked what about the normal taxis and was told that they are too expsensive, overcharge and that the ticket is now the offical way for getting a taxi. I was simply shocked at the state of the roads, teh police were simply not interested in what I woudl say are private hire cars queing as far as the eye could see stopping traffic in both directions and causing obstructions everywhere.

I was suprised to say the least and when questioned I was told that the council has agreed to this and recognises the new taxi stand for Abba and Crown are the two main taxis in warrington.

Now, I disagree with this. I looked over and yes, clearly displayed in the abba office is a sign saying Abba taxi, since when has a private hire company been allowed to trade or be known as a taxi? is there not some legsilation in place to stop this?

There was at the time a small queue of black and white taxis, I asked if i could get in one of these and was told no, you have a ticket and wait for your number... but I asked why when there are taxis waiting? and was told to make my way over to the designated taxi stands.

Over the road, a queue of what I understand to be private hire cars but according to the person in the booth are now taxis?

Does anyone know when the taxis were deregegulated in warrington? and what does this mean for the signs that are still displayed on the side of the doors talking about being pre booked?

I asked about the difference between the two and was told that the black cars cost more, however on my way home.. the fare was more?

Hope someone can shed some light on this and ABBA taxis?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........I asked what about the normal taxis and was told that they are too expsensive, overcharge and that the ticket is now the offical way for getting a taxi.

I would have though that being a paying customer you can chose which sort of taxi service or provider you want to use :?

As for private hire vs taxis vs members clubs vs getting a lift vs walking home..... well who knows :shock:

Best bet is to stay in or only to go out near enough to where you live so you can walk home. Problem solved :D:wink::P

Hi Dismayed,

Thats what I though... and what I was used to but this clearly isnot the case. There appears to be an awful lot of confusion created by these booths and their employees, why is that? and I see no reason why there should be all these cars in one small confined place at a very busy time which creates a myriad of problems as well as the safe and well being of people like myself out but having to contend with traffic in a very dangerous place. Bridge street was organised and everyone knew where to go at the end of the night but now, there is this mess which it looks like the council has created yet they are showing no signs on sorting it out? is there an agenda here? and does any benefit from this arrangement?

There is also a taxi rank by the carpark but this is occupied by out of town taxis and private cars? has there been a total change in taxi law which allows out of town cars to ply for higher from designated taxi bays?

Anyway, seems the post has been viewed plenty but no one has anything to say or to add? I thought this would be a concern to all but clearly no one could care less?

I have not even touched on the fact that the driver for Abba could not speak english.... or knew where he was going... was there not a knowledge test for having a taxi badge?

Confused.. very.

My understanding is that providing the company has at least one licensed hackney in it?s fleet then it can use the word taxi in it?s trading name and as Abba have several of these, then they?re not actually breaking any rules.

Bill :)

Thanks, so in effect you could have lets say a <95% majority of private hire vehicles yet call yourselves a taxi company? I find that hard to believe and if so I have to question the logic of the council.. oops... I forgot that logic and councils never go together... that to me is misleading the public and is certainly not in the interest of the paying public when one advertises as a taxi yet offers a predominantly private hire service. I do not see other taxi companies using the words private hire so why the opposite? again if there is no underhand or deliberate attempt to mislead the paying public why the confusion? and you would even have to question the legality of this?

If this is the case, then the council has inadvertently deregulated the taxi business unlawfully which opens a can of worms and to me would indicate a conflict of interest somewhere....

Also, when one applies for planning permission, surely a council has to take into account the risks associated with opening an office in a busy throughfare. With this in mind, it amazes me that councilors allowed Abba to open an office when they have created a huge health and safety risk with the opening of the Abba base?

Well I stand to be corrected on that but that?s my understanding of how it works. As for it misleading the public, well not really because most don?t know the difference and would refer to a private hire office as a taxi office in any case.

This isn?t just a Warrington thing, it?s common place across the country. But what you have to remember is that if you book a car from a company like Abba and they send a Hackney to do the job, then they have to charge private hire rate (unless you specifically ask for a Hackney).

If on the other hand, the company trades using the words Cab or Black Cab then people expect a licensed hackney and must pay the higher rate, even though they are pre-booking in the same way that they would from a private hire company. This explains the reason you don?t see Hackney companies using the term private hire because people would then expect to pay private hire rates.

Clear as mud isn?t it, just like most of the rules in the taxi business. :lol:

Well I stand to be corrected on that but that?s my understanding of how it works. As for it misleading the public, well not really because most don?t know the difference and would refer to a private hire office as a taxi office in any case.

Once again bill, spot on, not only would the majority not know the difference, they wouldn't care either.

Maybe if some of the posters on here put as much effort into providing a decent public service, instead of endless taxi/pink/private-hire posts that bore everyone else to tears, they maybe wouldn't have so much to complain about in the first place!

Maybe if some of the posters on here put as much effort into providing a decent public service, instead of endless taxi/pink/private-hire posts that bore everyone else to tears, they maybe wouldn't have so much to complain about in the first place!

I had not realised that you had been elected/voted to speak on behalf of the masses? and that you represent the majority of the local public? is this correct? could you please advise on how this came to be as I have no recollection of being asked to vote for a "fatshaft" to represent me, my questions or my concerns?

If this bores you then I suggest you move on? and only post if you something constructive to say rather than childlike tantrums dressed up as supposed apathetic replies? as I bet you are the type that complains all day long.. oh that would be me also making an ass-umption would it not?

Anyway, back to Bill and thank you. Yes, ambiguity and down to individual interpretation.. thats council policies for you, open to misuse and exploitation.

Do you have anything to add about the closure of Bridge street?

I had not realised that you had been elected/voted to speak on behalf of the masses? and that you represent the majority of the local public? is this correct? could you please advise on how this came to be as I have no recollection of being asked to vote for a "fatshaft" to represent me, my questions or my concerns?

If this bores you then I suggest you move on? and only post if you something constructive to say rather than childlike tantrums dressed up as supposed apathetic replies? as I bet you are the type that complains all day long.. oh that would be me also making an ass-umption would it not?

Anyway, back to Bill and thank you. Yes, ambiguity and down to individual interpretation.. thats council policies for you, open to misuse and exploitation.

Do you have anything to add about the closure of Bridge street?

Its called his opinion Confused and he is perfectly entitled to express it. I also feel that the taxi/private hire service in this town is relatively poor and the state of the vehicles in some cases is dreadful. It is a standing joke that when your preordered cab has not turned up and you ring to ask where it is it is always"just round the corner", why not try honesty? In what capacity do you represent the cabbies in this town as you obviously have more than a passing interest in the Bridge Street/ABBA cabs situation. Do you work for a rival firm by any chance? :wink:

Not being a regular user of taxis, I don?t have any strong opinions about the movement of the taxi rank from Bridge to Academy Street but from what I?ve read, it was done under advice from the police who were concerned about the situation.

I think much of the issues being raised here relate to the sighting of a large private hire company so close to a hackney rank rather than anything else but that?s for the drivers from both camps to sort out between themselves.

Bill's spot on as usual, Bridge St was closed at night to save the poor drunken souls from getting run over and the boy racers who zoom up and down trying to pose in their 1.4 clio's.

The Crown office was opened some years ago without objection by a previous owner.

Abba opened the new office opposite after consulting with the Town Centre Management, Disability Groups etc, the raised kerb in the bus stop allows the wheelchair accessable vehicles to pick up without the usual problems.

The Office by the way is state of the art for warrington, catering for every person in the town in a comfortable surroundings.

I had not realised that you had been elected/voted to speak on behalf of the masses?

I haven't, what gave you that idea? I'm simply stating that the endless threads on taxi grievances, most of them from taxi drivers themselves has become incredibly dull. I wasn't aware that having an opinion required election to public office, but thanks for the info, Iwill refrain from having an opinion in future

and that you represent the majority of the local public?
Don;t see where that was stated at all?

is this correct?
no

could you please advise on how this came to be as I have no recollection of being asked to vote for a "fatshaft" to represent me, my questions or my concerns?

It didn't, but like the point of your original moan, you apparently failed to be in possession of any of the facts that has lead to the changes of which you moan. Perhaps look before you leap?

"confused" indeed!

If this bores you then I suggest you move on? and only post if you something constructive to say rather than childlike tantrums dressed up as supposed apathetic replies?
Don;t see any tantrum at all, or at least I didn'tuntil this quoted post from your good self.

as I bet you are the type that complains all day long.. oh that would be me
Yes indeed that would be you, 4 posts, all whinging.

also making an ass-umption would it not?
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply (just practicing for when I get elected there)

Ambiguity? Seems perfectly clear to bill, me, PJ and hiccy.

Now jog along, there's a good fellow. 8)8)

Well it nothng else it's certainly very confusing :?

I've never really had to use "taxi's" very often [ps. global use of the word 'taxi' as an unknowing user] but going away from the subject of Bridge Street and town centre boozer pick-ups for a sec .....

If I or a member of needed to book a lift somewhere / or home we'd just look in the local phone book or on the internet for a phone number for a local TAXI.

So, how would we know if we were booking through a 'taxi' firm or 'private hire' firm or whatever else they are called these days?

And what difference, other than cost, is there :?

Dont be to Dismayed dismayed,

There's probably a PHV within 5 mins drive of virtually every house in Warrington, you ring the telephonist who takes your booking securely (so no-one knows your off on holiday for a week! and with a little luck they'll turn up on time and take you wherever your going. If you feel youve been overcharged, i know abba will have another driver drive the route and the fare will be calculated, if it's found youve been overcharged you'll be refunded without question.

With a Taxi unless he's on a system like abba or harrys you'll more than likely have to flag it down for a ride which means you dont really know who he is, or have a record of your trip if something goes wrong. Plus theyre quite a lot dearer.

BTW, did you know that if you book a train job, and tell the company your catching a train and they accept the booking, if you miss that train they must endeavour to get to your final destination at their cost. Thats why lots of people say its a train job even if theyre just going to town (it makes sure the car turns up on time, you go straight to the top of the booking list) but make sure your dropped off at the station anyway or else the could put a block on future train booking from your number.

Dont be to Dismayed dismayed,

There's probably a PHV within 5 mins drive of virtually every house in Warrington, you ring the telephonist who takes your booking securely (so no-one knows your off on holiday for a week! and with a little luck they'll turn up on time and take you wherever your going. If you feel youve been overcharged, i know abba will have another driver drive the route and the fare will be calculated, if it's found youve been overcharged you'll be refunded without question.

With a Taxi unless he's on a system like abba or harrys you'll more than likely have to flag it down for a ride which means you dont really know who he is, or have a record of your trip if something goes wrong. Plus theyre quite a lot dearer.

BTW, did you know that if you book a train job, and tell the company your catching a train and they accept the booking, if you miss that train they must endeavour to get to your final destination at their cost. Thats why lots of people say its a train job even if theyre just going to town (it makes sure the car turns up on time, you go straight to the top of the booking list) but make sure your dropped off at the station anyway or else the could put a block on future train booking from your number.

Thanks Hiccy still doesn't really answer the question of how I/we know who/what we are getting if I look up a 'taxi' phone number on the internet or in the phone book .

From your post it seems that Abba and Harry's are the most reliable and fairly priced taxi firms so I'll remember them for when needs must but if they let us down their names will be on here in BLOCK CAPITALS AND BOLD :lol: ... thanks

Sorry not been on to answers the questions ( as i do have a life ) Private hire car do not operate as taxis or advertise this as for Abba cars which is the traded name. No other name is used; taxi is not used at all. But having said that abba cars have hackney cars on their books which are taxis. Plus all private hire have marking on them if you?re not too drunk to read. This says per booking only. Not per booked NO ride. No insurance. Clearly marked on the doors. Taxis do not have this as it?s not need for them.

As for academy way. Did you know that if a private hire car is not per booked they have to return to there base which is academy way by law. So sorry no laws are being broken. As for the hackneys there should only be a number in a rank at a time that is allowed. So looking at it it?s the hackneys which are breaking the law here by parking up the streets. Not abba cars so will you be reporting them? You should, so lets see if you will I will not think so as it?s is them whom are breaking the law But in there favour they can pick up on the streets which private hire can not. So sorry no laws have been broken. As for price private hire are a lot cheaper.

so I would not be bothered how many taxi or private hire cars are in the town because if they where not there they would be a lot more fights as you know they clear town fast this is Fact use by the police and you would be the fist to call then if they where not there.

So in my ideal world I would have no taxi in town at all and then you would see what would happen and make everyone walk home.

But here one thing to remember when using or flagging a taxi there is no recorded held. It comes down to you to get all the relevant details of the driver and vehicles. When you get a private hire car its on record for mouths that the driver is name and all other details can be used in a court of law. Lot of taxi do not or will use this type of system but some are good like cab direct but I would not trust or use others in the trade. So remember that when using a taxi its all up to you now can you remember when your drunk and one more thing is on private hire they will tell you if your over charged as your booked in and is on recorded can you say that about a taxi did you know that the councils? most complaints are taxi not private hire over charging FACT so go on the web site and see for your self do not take my word and you will see a lot more on taxi