Smoke free zone?

observer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's one thing the anti-smoking facists have got right - the damage is done - so retreat to our bubbles. :roll: Unfortunately they are low on supportive facts: the New Labour Manifesto was for a partial ban, which presumably the electorate agreed with, hence their election victory. :roll: However, the zealots in Parliament, altered their MANIFESTO commitment to a TOTAL BAN; BUT excempted the House of Commons Bar - typical hypocracy. :roll: There is an assumption that all non-smokers agree with the anti-zealots; clearly not true. :roll: In furtherance of their obsession with longevity; perhaps they'll agree with health warning labels on:- food, drink, cars, extreme sports, Army recruitment adverts, and holidays in Mumbai?! :roll::wink:

Observer is it you or your addiction to nicotine which blinds you to facts?

If you eat any sort of food you will not necessarily cause me to put on weight or affect my health in any way by doing so.

If you drink alcohol you will not necessarily intoxicate me or affect my health in any way by doing so.

If partake in an extreme sport you will not necessarily break my bones or affect my health by doing so.

If you join the Army you will not necessarily shoot me or affect my health by doing so.

If you holiday in a place which terrorist have chosen to commit mass murder in you will not be putting me in harms way or affect my health by doing so.

If you go outside and use the facilities generously provided to feed your addiction you will not be stinking up the pub or affect my health in any way.

Nobody is saying that you are banned from smoking you are simply told several places where it is no longer tolerated for the good of others and you are still so selfish you will not walk 10 yards to passify your drug cravings. The law is a good one, in fact one of the best things to come from this Government. How many people have been made to suffer because of smokers indifference to others? Mind you if you have absolutely no respect whatsoever for your own health and well being, how can you be expected to consider the rights of others? Just do as you are told and go outside for a smoke, its not the end of the world, well not for me anyway.

Fact - Since the ban over 400,000 people have given up smoking which means that 40,000 fewer people will die as a result of smoking related deseases. over 2 billion less cigarettes have been bought since the ban.

Not quite, the only fact might be that 400,000 people have given up smoking and that sales of cigarettes have reduced. One cannot say that it is a fact that 40,000 fewer people will die, the 40,000 would be a figure based on statistical modelling. The link between smoking and premature death is well established, however the exact figures are always difficult to establish given how the cause of death is written up on the death certificate.:wink:

It would be interesting to know how many people have actually started smoking, and therefore is the 400,000 figure a net figure.

Seeing the price of cigarettes, don't know how people can afford to smoke

Fact - Since the ban over 400,000 people have given up smoking which means that 40,000 fewer people will die as a result of smoking related deseases. over 2 billion less cigarettes have been bought since the ban.

Not quite, the only fact might be that 400,000 people have given up smoking and that sales of cigarettes have reduced. One cannot say that it is a fact that 40,000 fewer people will die, the 40,000 would be a figure based on statistical modelling. The link between smoking and premature death is well established, however the exact figures are always difficult to establish given how the cause of death is written up on the death certificate.:wink:

It would be interesting to know how many people have actually started smoking, and therefore is the 400,000 figure a net figure.

Seeing the price of cigarettes, don't know how people can afford to smoke

Paul, it is based on statistical data compliled by folk much cleverer or informed than myself and dare I say you.

Here is the link from the Independent :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/smoking-ban-has-saved-40000-lives-856885.html

Paul,

a lot of people cannot afford to smoke Paul; that is the problem as well. Those that moan about 2p a litre on petrol are the ones who quite happily pay out ?5.00 a pack for 20 bits of paper filled with chemicals and a bit of dried old leaf

We had a lad who worked for us who once borrowed ?10.00 of my business partner because he had no money left and his baby needed nappies. Next time we saw the lad he had a brand new pack of 20 Lambert & Butler fags in his pocket......priorities, priorities.... feed the baby or buy the fags; well you can eat tomorrow can't you??

plus.... what the heck am I doing up at 09:30 on a Sunday morning??

As I said the damage is done now, but again stats are being thrown about by some folk who wouldn't believe anything this Gov said! :roll: On about folk quitting: I know of several cases where failed "quitters" have received quitting certs from the NHS and follow up congrats notes 12 months after they started smoking again - do you really think the Gov or the health professionals employed on this task are going to issue anything but positive figures?! :wink:

Well if you really want to start looking at "stats" - I think you'll find some surprises for "causes of death"! :roll: As for the NHS stats on quitting, I know smokers who are now collecting "success certs" from them, so evidently no proper follow up process involved to ensure their figures are accurate. :roll::wink:

Well if you really want to start looking at "stats" - I think you'll find some surprises for "causes of death"! :roll: As for the NHS stats on quitting, I know smokers who are now collecting "success certs" from them, so evidently no proper follow up process involved to ensure their figures are accurate. :roll::wink:

Pity there are no stats on stench. You carry on ignoring the facts and killing yourself Observer, you obviously don't give a toss about anybody else.

do you really think the Gov or the health professionals employed on this task are going to issue anything but positive figures?! :wink:

Perhaps the Cancer units and the morgue figures are the only ones you will believe.

I understand that smoking accounts for 1 in 4 cancer deaths in the UK, and is the single biggest cause of cancer in the world. Sir Walter Raleigh has a lot to answer for. :wink:

Sunday Telegraph:

"Alan Johnson, the Health Secretary, is said to have legislation which would ban big displays of cigarettes ? effectively forcing their sale under the counter ? "ready to go" as a key part of the Government's programme for the next 12 months.

However, Mr Mandelson's department, Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR), is said to be objecting to the proposals on the grounds that they would harm the profitability of small businesses during the slump.

Government sources last night acknowledged that the row was hindering final preparations for Wednesday's Queen's Speech, in which forthcoming Bills are announced. One said the speech ? which was set out in draft six months ago ? was still a "work in progress."

Both the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats oppose the cigarette proposals, which would also ban tobacco vending machines. Several dozen Labour MPs also object, threatening ministers with a Commons rebellion should the plans go ahead.

Mr Brown is understood to have ordered urgent changes to the Queen's Speech to make sure it contains more pro-business measures as well as help for hard-pressed households at a time when jobless totals are rising."

Crikey Lord Mandelson will be advocating for us all to "start smoking and save the economy" next. :wink:

But why are the Tories and Lib Dems against the proposals I wonder?

Anyway, what's all this about "success Certificates"? I haven't had one and I went through the doctors to get my patches for a few weeks!

Obs, you are arguing yourself into an early grave with all this pro smoking nonsense. Fags kill people.... end of story. Don't you think people will warm to you a lot more if you didn't stink of stale fags when you meet them?

Try it; you may like it!

Don't need to worry about "people warming", in the house now and the draw bridge is up! :wink: Look, we,ve got a highly addictive drug called nicotine, which is arguably more addictive than heroin - difference is - it's LEGAL to use. :shock: More than that, whilst going through the motions of health facism, this Government make a lot of tax revenue out of it - so perhaps the A-S/Zealots should be calling for them to be made totally ILLEGAL - problem solved - or maybe not! :wink:

Don't need to worry about "people warming", in the house now and the draw bridge is up! :wink: Look, we,ve got a highly addictive drug called nicotine, which is arguably more addictive than heroin - difference is - it's LEGAL to use. :shock: More than that, whilst going through the motions of health facism, this Government make a lot of tax revenue out of it - so perhaps the A-S/Zealots should be calling for them to be made totally ILLEGAL - problem solved - or maybe not! :wink:

No problem with you stinking up your own house and if you want to risk smoking despite knowing the risks of illness then I pity you as you mustn't really enjoy your life too much if you are willing to throw it away needlesly.

Ok so you know people who went through an NHS cessation course but reverted back to smoking later , what about all the rest who managed to pack in without the doctors course? People with a little will power and a desire for life give up fags every day and them being made to feel socially excluded by the new smoking regulations are regularly named as one of the reasons they wish to quit. Hence the "ban" has merit as a deterent.

It is you who have the problem going outside to smoke when at the pub. As I said previously you wouldn't use the bar floor to go to the toilet as it would be disgusting, smelly and possibly harmful to other pub goers health including staff. You would simply use the facilities(in this case a toilet) provided by the landlord. The same applies to smoking, you have to go to the smoking area to light up, not a great ask really is it? If you don't like it hard luck and don't go to the pub anymore,. Buy some beer from the off licence/ASDA and drink in the comfortable surroundings of home. The brewery will get their money from you anyway.

A young woman confides to a friend that she wants to quit smoking, but nothing she does seems to work.

"Have you tried the patch?" her friend asks.

"No, that's one thing I haven't tried," the woman says, "because I'm not sure it works."

Says her friend, "I'm sure it would if you put it over your mouth."

you can't tell Baz is an ex smoker can you?I also agree with observer and the 'passive' boozing.Personally, I would think boozing ruins more peoples lives than smoking.I smoke,My ex smoked and was also an alcoholic.Nuff said..give me a smoker anyday!Alcoholics tear families apart..smokers don't....