Piracy -

observer

Asperity,

How would the pirates be able to get on board? :?

Most ships are quite slow at between 10 and 15 knots, though container ships whizz round at 25 knots. So all the pirates need is a fast boat (20 knots say) and guns.

The SBS can board even fast container ships from RIBs without being detected and pirates have had plenty of practice.

The only defence most merchant ships have are fire hoses, but crew sizes are so small that this is ineffective on a large ship. The Sirius Star is over 1000 foot long, a lot of ship to defend for a crew of 25 or so against guns!!

:cry::cry::cry:

Asperity,

How would the pirates be able to get on board? :?

Most ships are quite slow at between 10 and 15 knots, though container ships whizz round at 25 knots. So all the pirates need is a fast boat (20 knots say) and guns.

The SBS can board even fast container ships from RIBs without being detected and pirates have had plenty of practice.

The only defence most merchant ships have are fire hoses, but crew sizes are so small that this is ineffective on a large ship. The Sirius Star is over 1000 foot long, a lot of ship to defend for a crew of 25 or so against guns!!

:cry::cry::cry:

I meant physically. The crew won't lower ladders for them, will they? :?

As someone else said, grappling irons over the rails and climb up the ropes. The SBS use a telescopic pole (Vladislav I think his name is) to put a hook onto the ship's rail. The first man up then hauls up a Jacob's ladder and the rest use that. Robert is your mother's brother!! :wink::wink::wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Seems the pirates who took the super-tanker got their money, then got into their boat which then capsized, with most of them drowning - yer couldn't make it up! :wink:
That has to be the funniest thing I have read for a long time. I nearly fell off my chair when it came up on sky news.

The only downside of course is that 3 apparently survived!