"Integrated Transport" in warrington - nonsense

RENT-A-GOAT

So given you don't trust the people of Warrington, Manchester, Irlam or wherever it was that your chain came off - who do you blame for the lack of bus cycle provision and could Observers Communist State provide the solution to your needs?

Painter Geoff I do not blame anyone but that rediculous excuse to avoid doing any work (Health and Safety)

I'm still interested in how Rent-a-goat actually got to work on the day his bike broke down - HOW DID YOU?

I must congratulate him for cycling to work though especially if its going to take him 6 hours by foot which in my estimation is upto 15 miles!!!

I didnt - I walked back home and took the day off :D (unpaid, I may add) More attractive than walking to Urmston! :shock:

Who said there was any corrolation between the free market and Utopia? :roll: Seems your "every man for himself" philosophy doesn't work on our road system either! :roll::wink:

What on earth are you banging on about roads for Obs? Having a bit of trouble explaining yourself without resorting to blaming me for the entire councils congestion problems?

FYI I work for myself, I drive a big car but I don't usually travel at peak times with all the other sheep. I don't speed, I don't run red lights (usually) and I certainly don't enter yellow boxes without having a clear exit to do so. I was taught by a very good instructor (Dave Ellison... and he is still going stong!) and also my dad who was a Rolls Royce trained advanced driver who also spent some time. So go and have a go at some other person for your gridlock; because frankly.... It certainly aint me!

In which case Baz; why don't you support yellow box junctions and the enforcement therof? :? ALL our grid lock scenarios can be traced to junctions being blocked by aimless drivers just following the car in front onto them. :twisted: EG; Coming from Town at Queen Mary's Island and want to cross into Church St - no chance, cos the lame brains who are queuing along Brick St to get into ASDA or join the A49 queue all the way to the M6; are queuing ON the roundabout, and just won't let you out - as if they're going somewhere. :roll::wink:

Look at Manchester - you can take bikes on any bus and metro.

I have never seen a bike on a bus in Manchester - and I live there. Got any evidence for your assertation? I'm not sure I've seen any bikes on the Metrolink either, if I'm honest - a quick Google confirms that only foldable bikes are allowed on the trams.

I *have* seen a bike on a bus in Austin, Texas - most of the vehicles there have a bike rack on the front of the vehicle that can carry several bikes. I don't think this would be allowed in the UK, due to PSV or road safety regulations. The closest you'll get is the handful of leisure routes in areas of outstanding natural beauty which pull a trailer behind - not practical for Warrington urban routes.

Geoff,

I thought walking pace was 4mph? :?

Peter T it might be upto 4.5 mph if you are very fit see Debs analysis http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art20257.asp but you and I are no where near that and if lucky will be as fit as an average lady that Debby quotes who will be able to walk at 3mph. However I'd argue that we are no where near that. I did used to be able to run at 11mph over the half marathon distance but those days are long since gone. So are you really saying that you can cover anything near 4 miles in an hour :shock: I take my hat off to you, you must be fit.

As I'm currently limping along with a medial knee ligament problem I'm lucky to get above 2mph when I go to the SPA and back!! Doesn't age have a habit of catching up big style.

I do need to sort my bike as so that I can get some exercise I can then flag down a bus and see what happens - but like Jimmy Mac I've never seen a bike on one Manchester Tram or bus - but I have seen loads on the trains.

People are quite right, you can't take bikes on the tram either a fact pointed out a few months ago in a local news article. A group of people were taking a cardboard cut out of a bike on the tram (which you can do) to show how ridicuous the situation is - apparently they're going to take a washing machine next as they're also allowed!

People are quite right, you can't take bikes on the tram either a fact pointed out a few months ago in a local news article. A group of people were taking a cardboard cut out of a bike on the tram (which you can do) to show how ridicuous the situation is - apparently they're going to take a washing machine next as they're also allowed!

Cardboard cutouts of bicycles (and even washing machines) are unlikely to result in oil or mud getting onto people's clothes, and also tend to lack sticky-out bits. There simply isn't any reasonable space to put a (non-foldable) bike on a bus or a tram - you're going to end up with it blocking either an entrance, a wheelchair space or the aisle. If you want to take a bike onto a bus or a tram, consider getting a foldable one.

Besides, I can imagine the squeals of protest from people if Metrolink were to create an itemised list of what couldn't be carried on board, such as washing machines. "Nanny state! Common sense!" etc :roll:

In which case Baz; why don't you support yellow box junctions and the enforcement therof? :?ALL our grid lock scenarios can be traced to junctions being blocked by aimless drivers just following the car in front onto them. :twisted: EG; Coming from Town at Queen Mary's Island and want to cross into Church St - no chance, cos the lame brains who are queuing along Brick St to get into ASDA or join the A49 queue all the way to the M6; are queuing ON the roundabout, and just won't let you out - as if they're going somewhere. :roll::wink:
Observer, that is simply nonsense. Most of our gridlock is down to poor design, for example the mess at Tesco, the new mess at Asda. Box junctions are rarely an issue, possibly at the Collegiate, but rarely anywhere else, and certainly not ALL.

If we got rid of a lot of the lights and replaced them with roundabouts things would be much much smoother.

In which case Baz; why don't you support yellow box junctions and the enforcement therof? :? ALL our grid lock scenarios can be traced to junctions being blocked by aimless drivers just following the car in front onto them. :twisted: EG; Coming from Town at Queen Mary's Island and want to cross into Church St - no chance, cos the lame brains who are queuing along Brick St to get into ASDA or join the A49 queue all the way to the M6; are queuing ON the roundabout, and just won't let you out - as if they're going somewhere. :roll::wink:

I agree, but the problem is that the Police will just see it as a way to make money; regardless of how right or wrong it is. The next thing ; we will have yellow box cameras and heaven knows what else.

Education is one thing, but taking money of people for every little mistake they make; intentional or otherwise is another. Some people can barely afford to put food on the table, let alone subsidising the council and Police coffers even more.... I got a parking ticket a while back whilst on a survey for the council; outside a council building with a council staff member with me. Now I could have paid after 28 days and got it for ?25.00.... I forgot and it is now ?50.00 but I will make sure they get it at the very last second of the last day possible because I was only a few minutes later than the 30 minutes allowed and there were loads of spare places; so I wasn't stopping anyone else parking. Now that was a jobsworth doing his jobsworth job!

Plus you can only pay in person up to 4pm in the afternoon...... so we are obviously paying for someone to finish early 5 days a week and get the weekend off.... nice work if you can get it! :lol:

That holier than thou, "don't commit the crime" nonsense is fine if if it is a serious offence, don't you see that you can't criminalise everything or people just become disillusioned with authority; especially when it is deemed OK to send an 80 odd year old pensioner to prison for not paying a council tax bill, but then don't send someone to prison for beating an old woman almost to death? Fixed penalty tickets are a way of screwing money from the population on the pretence of "fighting and dealing with crime" They use the figures as they are a Crime, detection, punishment tick all in one go. They don't have to do any brain work to get the crime detection figures up; IT IS ALL A CON and you are buying it Obs....

Because self righteous prats like you would rather the police spent their time nicking motorists for silly indiscretions and accidental happenings rather than spend their time tackling rape and murder and burglary and assault hust so you can cross a junction and get home 2 minutes earlier.

It is a question of priorities; and I am sure if you asked the populous what crimes they would rather the Police investigate, I am sure the majority (or even small minority) wouldn't be rushing to tick the "prosecute the driver who stops in a yellow box" section and not the "break up hoody gangs and catch burglars" bit

Go back to nagging about your idyllic dream of eutopia and stop being so selfish!

Think from your posts, that you know all there is to no about being selfish; since when has a wish to get traffic moving, for everyone's benefit, been selfish. :roll: I've seen your ilk; deliberately parking on double yellow lines outside a shop, cos they're too bone idle to walk 10 yards; then if caught by a warden or the police, coming out with the same whining about priorities. :roll: If caught, just put your hands up, say "fair cop"; pay the fine and move on. :wink:

What shop? :?:roll: There are loads of shops at junctions, with double yellow lins around them - and I've seen these demics pulling up outside them on a regular basis, your obviously not very observant, probably too busy listening out for Hornblowers?! :wink::lol: BTW: since when has it been illegal to use the audible warning device (horn) fitted as standard to all vehicles? :roll::wink: toot, toot! :lol: