Blue bins

Sparky71

I asked a question at Full Council a couple of months ago, coincidentally at the time there was a programme on the matter on the TV. I was assured by the Executive Board Member, Cllr Alan Litton, that our recyclables are not "dumped" abroad, but sorted ( locally in a depot at Bank Quay) and recycled into other products. Prices for recyclates have been rising over the last few years, however given the current economic times prices will fall. There is a record of my questions and the answers on the WBC website. I am a great supporter of the new blue bin scheme, and am amazed at how full mine is at the end of two weeks......and how relatively empty my black bin is.

Seems the paper chase isn't so profitable now: waste paper for recycling, has been going half way round the world to China, to be converted into the copious packaging around the flimsy Chinese goods we're no longer buying cos of the credit crunch! :shock: So much for global trade and inter-dependence! :roll::wink:

Might do that with my new blue bin as the novelty of seperating the recyclables seems to have worn off with other members of my family :roll:

There are only so many times a person can reach into the depths of a black bin to retrieve items that should not be in there.

Shame on my family 8)

Hi,

This is my first real post,so bear with me.I've been reading this topic with interest as we do re-cycling collections too. we have yellow topped bins and most everything goes in it,except things like plastic bags batteries etc.WE can organise trips around the re-cycling plant to see what happens to it all,not been round it myself,we also get a booklet on what can go in the bin,and yes this bin is always fuller than the household bin

Paul,

They may not be "dumped" abroad, but I seem to recall the council press release on the subject stating that the shredded bins were being sent abroad for recycling, which struck me as a little odd at the time.

There is a bin fragmenting machine at School Brow, the small blue plastic chips are then bagged and exported to be converted into new plastic products.....maybe even new bins. I am told that the aluminium axle is the most valuable part of the bin and they are being removed before the bin makes its final journey up the conveyor and into the fragmentor.

I understand that another council was interested in buying Warrington's ol blue bins, alas they had Warrington stamped on the lid, which wouldn't go down well in.....Wigan....for example. :wink:

Over the last few months the market for all types of recyclables has declined rapidly and waste companies are now, in some instances, charging to collect recyclables rather than pay for them or collect them at nil cost.

Waste has been hit by a double whammy, land fill taxes are rising and the value of recyclables is falling....makes me think a high technology incinerator could be the way foward....unpopular as it might be with some people.

PS I like the innovate ideas people have for using the old blue bins.

I understand that another council was interested in buying Warrington's ol blue bins, alas they had Warrington stamped on the lid, which wouldn't go down well in.....Wigan....for example. :wink:

Then why not just make new lids for the old bins with "Wigan" or whatever stamped on them or restamp over the old Warrington bit? Surely a lot cheaper than recycling and remaking new ones; especially with all the travel involved in sending the stuff abroad!

Then why not just make new lids for the old bins with "Wigan" or whatever stamped on them or restamp over the old Warrington bit? Surely a lot cheaper than recycling and remaking new ones; especially with all the travel involved in sending the stuff abroad!

There's NO box to tick for that idea. :roll:

Wondered about the comment of the apparent value of the axles myslef but you beat me too it. :shock:

One thing does puzzle me though... why were so many people taking their glass and other recyclables to or local local tip yesterday when we all have our new blue bins :?:?:

One thing does puzzle me though... why were so many people taking their glass and other recyclables to or local local tip yesterday when we all have our new blue bins :?:?:

As quite a lot or people prefer to have their recycling in separate streams so that broken glass (for example) doesn't mix with paper and therefore make the waste paper less useful. Also, the glass in the blue bins is mixed and not split into brown, clear and green and therefore of less use for recycling also. WCC have gone for an option which makes it easy for the householder but less useful to recycle and therefore will end up with less valuable products which, especially in the current climate, may well come back and bite them.