Driving re-tests?

observer

Not sure about a full re test as such, a competence test would suffice i.e. an examiner sits with you and you drive in various conditions for 30 minutes to make sure you are not a hazard. An eye test would be part of the process as I sense many people's eyesight does not comply with the standard set. Those failing the competence test would then, subject to an appeal process etc :wink: have to cease driving, in some cases the fact that a test would have to be taken might encourage some people to stop driving anyway.

The statistics show that younger drivers are more likely to have accidents than older ones, as any insurance company will tell you.

Re-testing at regular intervals sounds a good idea, however - particularly with regard to eyesight and knowledge of the Highway Code which has changed quite a bit over the years.

Another good idea would be to raise the age for driving to, say, 21, thus taking so many people off the road during their most "dangerous" years.

There are thousands of drivers on the roads without a license, and without insurance or mot's. Retests will not remove that lot from the roads. The eyesight test was from memory a joke (unless it has changed from when I took my test) It only needs a regular test every 2 years ( for every driver) at an optician to sort that concern out.

Over 70's already need a medical to keep their licence, so that along with the eyesight test would suffice.

As for the kids I would raise the driving age to 25 and fit a device to every car that connects the electric windows to the volume control of the radio/cd player. Increase the volume on the radio and the windows will close :idea:

You have a point about the current lack of appropiate paperwork by some drivers, but like the mobile phone usage, that's down to a lack of enforcement. :roll: Only last month, I had to suddenly stop, while a guy did a three point turn on the main road, stopping all the traffic (incl a cop car!).: had to wind the window down and shout to the coppers to do something about it! :roll::wink:

A guy was picking some kit up from my house last week and he had to phone me and cancel; apparently, he had left the motorway to get some fuel when a lady driver ran slam bang into the back of his van. When he got out to see if the driver of the car which had hit hime was OK, he found her still in deep conversation on her phone!!

She left the scene in the back of a police car!

Makes you think.

The Portuguese driver of the lorry which was involved in the horrific accident on the M6 yesterday resulting in the deaths of a family of 6 is still being held and questioned on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

• 4 months later...

Well now we have seen British Justice at its best.... who would disagree with me that a good old bit of revenge and proper justice is in order?

Lets hear from the "be nice to them and rehabilitate them" brigade and see what nonsense they can say about this sentence being fit for the crime.....

You know what really miffs me off the most is watching the cops on telly doing high speed pursuits with helicopters and half the police force involved then hearing they get same sort of fine that I get for going six mph over the limit on a dual carriageway. Bloody bonkers. :evil:

Bill :)