Petrol scam.

observer

Very good point Obs :shock::evil:

Prices have come down recently especially at the likes of Morrisons etc etc. Guess the fact that it HAS come down has taken our minds (well mine anyway I'm ashamed to say) off the actual price of oil / fuel.

Are we all being cleverly conned :shock:

Accept what you are saying, but it is worth noting that the current oil price is for forward deliveries....one to three month period. It will of course be interesting to see how quickly gas and eletricity prices come down, as the utilities in justifying price rises said they were linked to oil prices.

PS Oil is traded in $US so the exchange rate has an effect.

PPS My guess is that OPEC (cartels are illegal...but not in Saudi etc :wink::) )will cut production as a way of upping the price.

But Paul, when the price of oil goes up, it immediately affects petrol prices as the greedy companies flock to fleece the motorists by putting up the prices of the fuel already in the petrol stations.

It never comes down anywhere near as quickly or as substantially

Rip Off Labour Britain as usual..... :lol:

Maybe we all need to start driving without shoes on, seems you get a better feel for the pedals and are less likely to overdo the accelerator. :shock: The latest eco-marathon produced outcomes of 80 odd mpg! :shock: They're all ripping us off Baz, irrespective of who's in Government: OPEC cartels, the retail sector and the Gov tax take - it's called the profit motive! :wink:

Well I paid less than ?1 a litre at Sainsbury's last Saturday albeit with a discount coupon but even so the pump price was still only ?1.02 and that's a significant reduction from where we were a couple of months back.

On the news this morning, they said the average price of petrol was expected to drop below the ?1 mark within the next four weeks and this factor coupled with significant price reductions in other areas could see the rate of inflation actually going negative early next year. :shock:

Bill :)

Interesting to note that at one point his weekend the wholesale price of gas was 0p :shock:

Here is a section of the article from The Times

"The price of gas collapsed over the weekend as warm weather and full storage tanks forced importers to give away gas for - literally - nothing.

At one stage on Sunday, the within-day delivery price for wholesale gas fell to 0p per therm as suppliers were forced to give away surplus fuel in order to balance the system.

The zero-trades occurred on APX, a 24-hour trading platform, and followed a weekend of weak prices and unusually warm weather. A price of zero or a negative price is highly unusual, according to ICIS Heren, the gas price assessor.

Two years ago, prices briefly went negative when huge volumes of Norwegian gas were suddenly pumped into Britain during the commissioning of a new pipeline.

However, Sunday's price collapse was different. Louise Boddy, the managing editor at ICIS Heren, said: ?This is about supply and demand, it is all bearish at the moment.?

Householders will not immediately benefit from the bizarre trading over the weekend, but the falling short-term spot prices will, eventually, feed through into the wider market. On Monday, the within-day price had bounced back to 28p per therm, but even that figure is far below the average price of 60p per therm during the summer, according to ICIS Heren"

Haven't Morrison's and Asda dropped their petrol to 99.9p?

Allegedly, Morrison's have had a tank mix-up, according to someone in the paper shop this morning whose wife filled up with diesel which turned out to be petrol. So I would check first. :shock:

PS. He might have repeated what was on the news last night, who knows. :roll:

Haven't Morrison's and Asda dropped their petrol to 99.9p?

Allegedly, Morrison's have had a tank mix-up, according to someone in the paper shop this morning whose wife filled up with diesel which turned out to be petrol. So I would check first. :shock:

PS. He might have repeated what was on the news last night, who knows. :roll:

Yes

The Morrisons in question was Chorley I think, rather than S Heath

I half heard that on the radio this morning, but heard that "was it" the oil barens wanted to reduce output but opec said "no , let demand dictate price".

however much the price is its the government screwing us most.

they have not changed their % tax on it, which as I recall is something in the region of 75% of the total cost

so the actual cost of petrol per litre is something like 30p.

and when it went up to 40p they made billions by gaining another 20p per litre at our expense.

if we were paying standard VAT ton petrol it would only be about 35p a litre..

even now the governmant takes 75p for every litre you fill up with, and while we were stuggling to get to work, to afford to fill our cars, they blamed the oil industry.

For unleaded (rounded to penny):

Petrol price some months ago:

120p pump price

18p VAT

52p Duty ( set at each budget so currently remains the same irrespective of oil price)

50p cost of petrol

Oil price has now fallen:

98p pump price

15p VAT

52p Duty

31p cost of petrol

I'll leave you to do the percentages. :wink::shock: