culture in warrington?

Justin.Case

Is it just my imagination or has the original posters name suddenly changed and was there a reply from him/her after my last post which has now disappeared :shock:

Local Art classes are still on a Monday at St Thomas' Church Hall if 'whoever' still needs to know :?

• 4 weeks later...

Silly me, yes, those skittles with the "look out dont trip" paving stones, and all the lovely folks hanging around the lovely fountain, one feels most cultured after popping into the town centre to do ones shopping not, I unfortunately have to pass through twice a day to change buses but other than that avoid Warrington Town centre a little like one might avoid the plague :shock::roll:

I agree Tilly. Got dragged into Warrington this week for a bit of boring shopping (school holls :roll: ). Bridge Street and the central fountain area were really un-nerving places to be.

Nothing but big gangs of gobby roudy youths hanging rounds in trackies and caps and gangs dressed totally in black with eyeliner, black lips and studs in some very strange places :shock: (although the latter were at least quiet and seemed content just to be together :?)

I'm sure they are mostly very nice kids but it is a bit off putting.

The Cultural Development Service - The Cultural Development Service combines a wide range of diverse opportunities for the local community all over the borough including:

? Weekly participatory sessions in theatre, dance, music and other art forms for all

ages and abilities.

? Special projects in partnership with the voluntary and statutory sector.

? Outdoor family friendly events in support of the emerging Cultural Quarter.

? Support and information service to enable the independent promotion of events

and activity, this includes advice on appropriate artists, how to organise an event

or artist in residence and where to get funding.

? The responsibility for the Authority?s Arts Grant Aid ? the Arts Action Grants and

the Arts Excellence Grants.

? The management of Parr Hall ? an 1100 capacity multi-purpose concert venue

promoting a diverse range of entertainment.

? The management of Pyramid ? Warrington?s centre for the arts.

? A national ticket selling operation.

Pyramid houses a performance space for 160 people, other large spaces for rehearsals and meetings, an IT technology and recording suite and an 80 seat bistro. Pyramid opened in November 2002.

The Library, Museum and Archives Service -The service incorporates Warrington Museum and Art Gallery which combines a traditional Victorian 'cabinet of curiosities' charm with one of the best state of the art

temporary exhibitions galleries in the North West. Around 10 temporary exhibitions and associated events are staged each year from

blockbusters of national interest to displays by local community groups. Funding has been awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund to stage a series of four major exhibitions on the theme of local history, all of which

will involve the community in recording and presenting their history.

Like most things the council are responsible for :lol:

Never mind at least a tick will have been placed in a relevant box for writing the strategy paper :wink:

Not sure who's box though as who was in charge in 2003/4 when the strategy was first 'paperised' :lol:

I agree Tilly. Got dragged into Warrington this week for a bit of boring shopping (school holls :roll: ). Bridge Street and the central fountain area were really un-nerving places to be.

Nothing but big gangs of gobby roudy youths hanging rounds in trackies and caps and gangs dressed totally in black with eyeliner, black lips and studs in some very strange places :shock: (although the latter were at least quiet and seemed content just to be together :?)

I'm sure they are mostly very nice kids but it is a bit off putting.

I know what you mean, there is and always has been a divide between the youth of today and everyone else,people forget what they were like when they were in their teens and what grown ups must have thought of them then too. Yes I agree most are probably realy nice kids that will look back at photo's of themselves ( with the eye liner etc) in a few years and cringe but roudy gangs put me off shopping anywhere but I especially find it intimdating in Warington and it appears am not the only one either so well done town planners for making lots of places for people to congregate.