It's going to be an expensive mistake..........

Latchford Locks

.......letting the Welsh into SL. :cry:

Well as I expected it was "Spot the Celtic fan" time yesterday and that was a major finals day !!! (the five pound prize has still not been claimed)

Just looking at our own side who will lose a fortune

for example..

Widnes 3,000 traveling fans x ?18 = ?54,000

Celtic 30 traveling fans x ?18 = ?540

I am not being a know all or anti expansionist just a realist as a lot of clubs will lose what(in the current financial climate)will be a substantial amount of gate money.

Despite what the chairman of Widnes claims instead of a full time roster of players they are already going part time and losing some of their quality players. This means in three years time when they will be able to apply for a superleague franchise again they won't be in a position to take it up. They will go the way of once household name clubs in the game, Oldham, Featherstone, Leigh, Swinton and others, lost to the game forever. I fear the game is killing itself and in a few years time will be swallowed up by RU. After all Sky TV now own both codes and he who pays the piper calls the tune. I'm rapidly losing interest 55 years after my first match watching the Wire.

I noticed in my weekend paper they had two pages of rugby coverage - no mention of League or Union - in fact it was all mixed in together - perhaps they know something we don't! :shock:

I have often heard that Murdoch wants a global game of rugby all year round!

Probably end up a 14 a side game so the "league" clubs accommodate one of the players Union has to lose! :lol:

Maybe one day there will be a hybrid game of rugby for the benefit of sky/setanta that may involve a few former "elite" league sides but then that will;because of its exclusive membership;cause all the remaining clubs to form a total breakaway competition and league will return to its roots less a few glamour teams.

Oh and incidentally when all this happens Quins RL & Taff Celtic will be binned by the new elite hybrids and will cease to exist.

rlformation_newspaper_465x300.jpg

• 5 months later...

A Leyther wouldn't be seen dead in the JJB. :lol:

Unfortunately the Leigh crowds are not going to get any better, apart from the odd posh bit Leigh is becoming one of the ghost towns of the North West full of charity shops, pound shops and junk food outlets.The admission charge is too big a proportion of benefit whilst the incomers with dosh on the canalside developments aren't interested. The average age of the supporter base gets older as time passes so the attendance will continue to fall.

Having visited Widnes recently much the same can be said about that town. The 'charity shops, pound shops and junk food outlets' have become the norm there, while other shops are boarded up. The industry and therefore the jobs are none existant. Apparantly the air pollution in Widnes is now half that of Warrington :shock: simply because only 1 major chemical factory remains, and yet the rugby attendance figures are still good. Just imagine what attendances would be like if the town was booming.

• 5 weeks later...

It seems even my most pesimistic observations did not forsee this recent chain of events...........

League is likely to be played at another union stronghold later this year with England's international against Wales set to be staged at the Gnoll in Neath on 17 October. That reflects a deterioration in the relationship between the Welsh Super League newcomers Celtic Crusaders and their landlords at Bridgend's Brewery Field, which could also see several of their home matches switched to other venues this summer

for more information..

http://www.totalrl.com/index.php?showtopic=174017

The lease to the ground was sold by the owner of CC in February this year. The new owners are a consortium of the Rugby Union club and Bridgend AFC. (this is in the public domain)

The price was alleged to be ?500.000.(This was stated at yesterdays match by the former Chairman of Bridgend RUFC)

The poor relationship between the two Rugby clubs is well known and Bridgend AFC wish to lay down an artificial pitch

iStock_000001445955Medium.jpg

Having visited Widnes recently much the same can be said about that town. The 'charity shops, pound shops and junk food outlets' have become the norm there, while other shops are boarded up.

It's not that much different in most of Warrington town centre - and it's got nothing to do with the recession. It was like that before!

Having a walk around the town centre yesterday for the first time in a long time I was shocked to see so many closed down / empty shops. Having said that I've never seen so many coffee shops all within a stones-throw of one another.

Sorry to be pedantic but isn't this a rugby forum ?

There seem to be lots of forum choices on this site,

so could we stick to the thread topic or else we risk going the way of several other Wire forums(downhill)

Many thanks Latch :wink:

Latchford Locks

"Sorry to be pedantic but isn't this a rugby forum ?"

I think the intention (not by me but by Eagle) was to demonstrate a link between the decline of town centres and the decline of rugby crowds so it is not inappropriate at all.

As for the rather old-fashioned RU v RL issue, surely it is time to realise that it WOULD be better if there was just one code.

RU has the advantage of being a nationwide (indeed worldwide) sport while RL has the advantage of being a more open game, arising in my opinion from having only 13 players to a team.

Personally I would like to see the number reduced still further to 11.