Fly Posting in Warrington!!

Geoffrey Settle

[quote name='"Dismayed

I know ]always[/b] Central Governments fault :roll::wink:

What do local businesses get in return for the 50% of the amount of astronomical business rates they pay that is then given back to WBC then' date=' any idea :?:roll::?[/quote']

No not everything, in this case Central Government sets business rates so it is a fact rather than a fault

On the second point, the payment of tax does not always mean that those paying it get a direct benefit from that payment, indeed many would say that there is an inverse relationship. :wink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know :P .... everything is always Central Governments fault :roll::wink:

No not everything, in this case Central Government sets business rates so it is a fact rather than a fault

Maybe a fact but also their fault that the rates or so high if they actually set them :wink:

What do local businesses get in return for the 50% of the amount of astronomical business rates they pay that is then given back to WBC then, any idea :?:roll::?

On the second point, the payment of tax does not always mean that those paying it get a direct benefit from that payment, indeed many would say that there is an inverse relationship. :wink:

So if there is no direct benefit why should SMALL local businesses have to pay so much business tax? Don't the government already take enough money from such businesses already by way of VAT, Corporation Tax etc etc.

At least home-owners allegidly get their some benefits from their council tax payments such as having their bins emptied :lol: , street lighting and road maintenence :? etc etc.

:D:P

Seems that some local authorities who have depositied 'our' money with some of the Icelandic banks are being offered another lifeline.

The LGA are now urging the Government to allow the affected LA's to delay the handover of the received payments of business tax :roll::evil:

Perhaps the Government could also allow all the struggling businesses who now face possible closure in the current crisis to delay their payments of business tax to the LA's for a while too 8)

As I've already said in my opinion it depends on the thing that's actually being advertised.

Can't really blame small businesses for trying as from experience the costs of legitimate local advertising are very costly indeed :shock:

.... Is localised fly posting for 'local' events bad too though. I class that as OK :?

I do agree that all the tatty business adverts springing up everywhere look a mess but the same can be said about adverts on actual business premises themselves.

Sorry to pick a few in particular but near Tesco on Winwick Road there is a Pine shop who's sineage is absolutely awful and overbearing to say the least. PINE...SALE...PINE....SALE...PINE...SALE...PINE...SALE.... YES WE KNOW !! And the yellow and pink storage place next door is not much better and makes your eyes water.

I'd rather have a few A4 flyers taped to lamp posts which will get wet and blow off in the wind (or be removed by Geoff :wink: ) than to constantly see the likes of these sort of advertising nightmares everyday.

I can never understand local businesses that use fly posting as a form of promotion.

I certainly wouldn't trust someone who flyposted to deliver a quality service.

There is absolutely no need to fly post when there are so many other ways to promote a business - including a very high quality full colour magazine with prices starting from just ?10 a month plus VAT! :oops::D

It would cost more than that to print some posters! :roll:

'[quote name="Dismayed

I know .... everything is always Central Governments fault

What do local businesses get in return for the 50% of the amount of astronomical business rates they pay that is then given back to WBC then' date=' any idea [/quote]

On the second point, the payment of tax does not always mean that those paying it get a direct benefit from that payment, indeed many would say that there is an inverse relationship. '

from our esteemed Borough councillor Paul Kennedy?

Business Rates are set following rules which mean they increase only by inflation (not so Council Tax). they are collected by LAs on behalf of Central Gov and redistributed according to the number of people in the LA (so that rural areas don't lose out) to be used for paying for local services like street lighting, policing etc - which businesses and their customers use.

If as a councillor he doesn't know this, he jolly well should.

(I know, fly posting is the topic - not politics)

I know .... everything is always Central Governments fault

What do local businesses get in return for the 50% of the amount of astronomical business rates they pay that is then given back to WBC then, any idea

On the second point, the payment of tax does not always mean that those paying it get a direct benefit from that payment, indeed many would say that there is an inverse relationship. '

from our esteemed Borough councillor Paul Kennedy?

Business Rates are set following rules which mean they increase only by inflation (not so Council Tax). they are collected by LAs on behalf of Central Gov and redistributed according to the number of people in the LA (so that rural areas don't lose out) to be used for paying for local services like street lighting, policing etc - which businesses and their customers use.

If as a councillor he doesn't know this, he jolly well should.

(I know, fly posting is the topic - not politics)

Welcome to the forum BossyBoots :D

As Council Tax goes towards street lighting, policing etc etc and from what you say so does the redistribution of Business Rates money...

... then a person who lives in an area and who also owns a small business in the same area is actually paying twice towards the same things :roll::?

Well that's fair :roll::?:?

Interesting point you mention about money being

redistributed according to the number of people in the LA
though.... is that why Warrington has so many approved large new housing developments :wink:

I can never understand local businesses that use fly posting as a form of promotion.

I certainly wouldn't trust someone who flyposted to deliver a quality service.

There is absolutely no need to fly post when there are so many other ways to promote a business - including a very high quality full colour magazine with prices starting from just ?10 a month plus VAT! :oops::D

Shouldn't you give yourself a warning for advertising on here without paying as others get Gary? unless of course you gave yourself a tenner :wink:

I've never used fly posting myself to promote any of our businesses but have tried most of the other costly advertising ways on offer :shock:

Gary, I find it hard to believe that a company can really get high quality advertising in full colour for as little as ?10 per month.... but I am more than happy for you to prove me wrong :D

Sounds like a bargain not to be missed.... brace yourself Gary you may have a busy week :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well as far as I can tell posting on here has started a fly posting clear up of sorts. Just shows that the media can help.

I've read about in the recent local press about action being taken in Lymm and also yellow posters near the David Lloyd Racquet Centre have been removed.

Maybe Observers man in a van has been out and about after reading our comments.

So well done everybody keep high lighting where they are and maybe they will get taken down.

:D

So well done everybody keep high lighting where they are and maybe they will get taken down.

:D

Not a chance.... if someone from the Council is being paid to remove them they can find them themselves :lol::P

They seem to be missing a lot of the very bright yellow ones around town... somewhere 8)

I don't see why you want to wait that long.

I'd rather it was a priority now.

The service is in place, but as we can see above some people can't be bothered to use it. :oops: It's no wonder that nothing gets done if we all wait for someone else or the next election, maybe you prefer it that way obs but I don't.

Gary wrote:

"There is absolutely no need to fly post when there are so many other ways to promote a business - including a very high quality full colour magazine with prices starting from just ?10 a month plus VAT!

It would cost more than that to print some posters! "

isn't a free magazine just a posh flyer? :D

Obs I can't recall seeing any around during the last election - things on sticks in gardens and window posters ? BUT surely your not advocating tearing them down and trespassing on people property.

I'm sure that there are restrictions as to what you can and can't do to advertise a political party. Certainly nothing can be displayed on council property and I think the same applies to bus stops etc.

Anyway I didn't see last May and I haven't seen any since.

Maybe they were the ones that you put up party but I don't recall seeing them when I went past on the bus :wink:

The service is in place, but as we can see above some people can't be bothered to use it. :oops: It's no wonder that nothing gets done if we all wait for someone else or the next election, maybe you prefer it that way obs but I don't.

:shock: Geoff.... Was that aimed at my previous comment :shock:

Although a lot of the 'one after the other' yellow boards get on my nerves everytime I drive past them I wouldn't report them as I (as most other people) have more important things to worry about at the moment than reporting businesses who flypost... and like I have already said the council MUST know where they anyway.

With the current problems and more local businesses being forced to close I guess it's every man for himself and who can really blame them for trying.

Ooooh am I starting to get soft :shock:

PS.... I have never 'flyposted' by the way incase you think I am one of them :P I have also tried most other forms of sometimes costly advertising. Anyway I finally got my leaflets printed (cast your mind back) and it seems leaflet drops really do work :D:P

Hi Dissy - simple answer YES - but don't take it to heart it was in reply to your response not you :wink:

What I'm saying is that there is a mechanism in place so that you can report fly posting and hopefully the guy in the van will do the business. However I think that this is only one of his jobs and there is no way he can keep track of where these items are - so if you can please let him know by logging a call with the centre.

As for your success with the leaflets, yes I remember and glad that it turned out well. :D Especially as you say in the current economic climate.

:D:wink: No offense taken :wink:

Sorry but I'm not going to report them as I don't think all their signs need to be removed (but they are plain to see and have been for a very long time.)

A couple would suffice but one every few feet on the pavament is going a bit overboard :?

By the way....anyone want any huge signs or banners making cos I have a new toy :lol: I could have so much fun if I wasn't such a nice person :lol:

Dissy, Looks like Jon A might want a sign or two aimed against EP and their land cultivation project and over here in the North if that other organisation repeats its ploughing activities that destroyed a massive widlife area between Peel Hall and the M62 then I will certainly commission some from you.

What he did was truly outrageous :oops: in my opinion but I'll leave that for the other thread.

• 10 months later...

What do posters think about the people who put up loads of 'Missing Pet' signs on lamp posts, trees, bus stops and gates?

Just been out and there's a lot around for a missing Cinnamon Brow cat, not only that but there's a Garage sale just off Fearnhead Lane on Saturday, add to that the local Councillors are putting up dog fouling notices (which I don't necessarily have an issue with - can't understand why these are going to be anymore effective than the council one's - it's the action to prosecute that's lacking) and along with the birthday banners it's getting a bit much.

Some have at least left their mobile numbers so if they don't take them don't they can receive a call to ask them to do so.

Just in case I've removed all the garage sale ones that I've come across as I can't see any reason why they should litter our street furniture.