Fly Posting in Warrington!!

Geoffrey Settle

I've noticed that more and more advertising posters, signs etc are being attached to street furniture.

Estate agents are using lamp post and bus stops, dog groomers attaching signs to gates; business parks are erecting large signs on posts on grass vergers.

Is it just around where I live in Cinnamon Brow and Woolston or is it a growing trend, I thought that there were planning laws against such things?

Mind you they are not staying up very long :wink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right - fly-posting is illegal and the council announced some time ago that they were having a crack down on it. I distinctly remember reading it on here!

However, it still seems to happen and in some cases DOES stay in situ for quite some time.

The thing that amazes me is that people can be bothered going round sticking up these posters. I have never responded to one in my life and am surprised that anybody else does either. Presumably some people do or it would just die a natural death.

If you remember back, the week after the council announced they were going to ?get tough on fly posters?, they themselves attached signs to all the traffic lights promoting a cultural event at the pyramid centre. Major embarrassment! :lol::lol::lol:

Then a couple of weeks after that, a leading property developer did much the same but the councils tough response was to fit a bright red sticker to each sign stating that the sign was cancelled but the event was not. Major stupidity. :lol::lol::lol:

So if you want crazy half-baked logic and toothless promises of action just contact WBC, they?ve got plenty to spare!

Bill. :)

PS Why does the contextual advertising on this thread think we want to meet up with single Iranians :?

Are they responsible for the fly posting?

My personal opinion is that it depends entirely what the posters are advertising.

For example the never ending yellow company signs aroung bridge foot for cut price kitchens and sofa sales are OTT and messy and should not be allowed !

However some sensibly placed (A4) posters for local events by the organisers are sometimes the only way to promote their local events. Maybe it's a school fete, charity sale, theatre group or whatever but as there are very few community notice boards for general use in most areas anymore what are people supposed to do :roll:

Maybe if Ads had to have the promotors contact details on with an 'issued' date of say two weeks before their event then as long as the ads are taken down immediately after the event then what's the problem.

Anyone who doesn't comply or companies who continue to colour the streets with never ending advertising campaigns shoud get fined :wink:

In Lymm, the parish council got so fed up with people sticking ads for jumble sales, etc on trees, damaging the trees in the process, that they erected a special notice board for people to use instead.

Guess what? The posters DO use the new notice board, but they still stick their posters on the trees as well, even though they are only a few feet from each other!

I think fly posters should be tracked down, prosecuted and heavily fined because they make the whole area look so tatty.

Look at the road going to M&S through Callands.... the guy from the kitchen shop must have a 52 week a year sale and boy does he like to advertise it; with his luminous signs and posters.

He should be fined and shut down!

I will see if anything can be done about this and get back to you Baz.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this once for my business and got a nasty letter from WBC saying I had to take them down in 24 hours or get fined ?2500 for each sign !! Needless to say I took them down and haven't done it since. However, I've been out on deliveries for the last few days and have seen hundreds of these mainly on lampposts. One company must have well over 100 on lampposts advertising Pine & Oak furniture. 100 x ?2500 into WBC coffers?????? and still they can't be bothered. Most of the signs also seem to advertise businesses outside warrington and have been up for weeks. Strange how they picked up on my small warrington based business in 2 days, but have ignored 'virtual office' in Leigh (been up over 2 months) and some flooring company in Manchester who have glued them onto nearly every lamppost in town?? Come on WBC sort it out :shock:

How strange..... :?

Stick some of yours up again and if they only target your company then you have have them for discrimination :lol:

They should be supporting small local businesses who have to pay astronomical Warrington Business rates for not much in return :?

(I am only kidding :wink:)... but then again 8)

I did this once for my business and got a nasty letter from WBC saying I had to take them down in 24 hours or get fined ?2500 for each sign !! Needless to say I took them down and haven't done it since. However, I've been out on deliveries for the last few days and have seen hundreds of these mainly on lampposts. One company must have well over 100 on lampposts advertising Pine & Oak furniture. 100 x ?2500 into WBC coffers?????? and still they can't be bothered. Most of the signs also seem to advertise businesses outside warrington and have been up for weeks. Strange how they picked up on my small warrington based business in 2 days, but have ignored 'virtual office' in Leigh (been up over 2 months) and some flooring company in Manchester who have glued them onto nearly every lamppost in town?? Come on WBC sort it out :shock:

If you send me a PM I'll add them to my list and see what I can do. :D

They should be supporting small local businesses who have to pay astronomical Warrington Business rates for not much in return :?

Set by Central Government, who take the whole lot then send less than 50% back

I know :P .... everything is always Central Governments fault :roll::wink:

...... can local businesses just put 50% of their advertising posters up then? would that be ok? :lol::wink:

What do local businesses get in return for the 50% of the amount of astronomical business rates they pay that is then given back to WBC then, any idea :?:roll::?

drop me aline and we will help you with some cost effective advertising which want look like tat on a lampost! :wink: